navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminium battery announcement  (Read 1380 times)
Allnightin

« on: April 09, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »

The publication of a paper in Nature on an aluminium based battery made a number of the papers this week.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14340.html#videos

From the abstract it sounds promising if the bit about over 7500 cycles without loss of performance proves realistic outside the lab and the videos show a cell withstanding considerable abuse safely!   If I have done my sums correctly each kWh of storage would require about 7.5 kg worth of batteries.  How does that compare with existing systems?
dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:53:44 AM »

Not very good for mobile phones or model aeroplanes  but very acceptable for a household system.  It would be  20 years of daily  cycles.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:47:35 AM »

Not very good for mobile phones or model aeroplanes     

Grin That made me smile, and yes it does sound promising for static installations.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
snyggapa

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »

If we even end up with phones that needs a kWh of battery then technology has moved in the wrong direction (or the screens have got substantially larger  Grin )

However that weight doesn't seem to bad - my daily energy usage for the house is around 10kWh - most of that is domestic water and cooking. If I could store an entire day's usage in 75 kilos (about the same weight of a scrawny man like me) and assuming it was the same size or less, I would fit that in my loft.

I could charge it during the day from my tiny 1.41kWp PVs, and top up overnight on E7 electricity during the winter.

My only question would be the discharge rate - what is the max discharge rate, as my immersion draws 3kW for about 90 minutes overnight, then during the cooking peak it can draw 9kW or even more, you can see stats here:

https://grovestreams.com/singleDash.html?itemUid=7e8f1935-2742-3d22-87fe-0f4f1fa9c8ba&org=b1343ea7-bff5-303b-9d31-89469cd583ab&api_key=2c615462-fe55-38c3-b8b9-cb31f141bc84

So the ideal comlpete unit for me is a charge controller, some kind of immersun type divertor and the battery packs and an invertor, all that won't catch fire Smiley

-Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: