navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living with a genny..  (Read 16501 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 09:47:35 AM »

if it's only for 3 months.... could you go without a generator at all ? as Pete (I think it was Pete) said, treat it as a camping trip ?

charge your phones/laptops in the car when you're driving

cook with gas / boil kettle on gas oven

I guess it depends on if you plan to work on the house when you're there... you could get a small inverter generator for power tools etc.. ?

really seams a shame to buy a battery bank for just 3 months use...

also, you said 'land' not house etc... it there anything there ?  what are you going to live in ?
I really don't think we could live without a generator, the amount of use the d/w, t/d and w/m get would make it untenable.
I also don't want the genny going on for trivial things, or ticking over all the time. Hence batteries.

However i'm seeing that i could easily spend 1-2k on the most basic setup and, as has been pointed out, not need it at all only a few months later.
Perhaps we should reconsider our hasty move on site.

We'll be living in a twin-unit. there'll be no permanent bnuild until we have satisfied the LPA with our need to be there, that will be at least 3 years
JohnS

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »

d/w, t/d

Do you really need these from Day 1.  You must be softer than I thought.  I have never had a tumble drier and you should not need one with the summer approaching.  At least until the autumn.

Dish washer - we only got one when our oldest child started on solids.  Up until then it was one cook, the other wash up.  And I had to do most of the washing up.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
Greenbeast

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »

ha ha, i lived out a d/w and t/d up until last year.
My lovely g/f would not likely entertain the idea
JohnS

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »

Notsogreenbeast

That explains it all.   fingers crossed!    bike   Roll Eyes

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
knighty

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »

if there a neighbour you could run an extension lead to ?

you'd have to be careful not to run too many things at once...

with a plug in meter the neighbour would know how much you've used and you could give them say 100 for plugging in, and then 20p/kwh (or whatever)

neighbour makes a profit out of it, it's more convenient for you, and it'll work out cheaper for you too ?

(stick a 10amp fuse on your end, so if the fuse ever does go it's where you can get access to it!)
knighty

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »

actually, what's access like ?

could a truck drop off a generator on a big forklift pallet ?

I've got one I don't need any more, was about to ebay it but you're welcome to borrow it until you have mains put in

30kw diesel, single + 3 phase, in a weatherproof housing thing, proper industrial one
Greenbeast

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »

no neighbours close enough

yes i reckon so, but wouldn't that be a little bit of overkill Grin
Fionn

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »

How close are the neighbours in actual fact?
If you use a battery based system you could run a really small charger (say 300W) 24/7 to keep the batteries topped up and have solar feeding in during the day.
You could get away with a very small (read cheap!) cable in that case.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »

, This is my currentr standby,, standby generator.

This one has had a very hard life and no care. spent years lying in a drain between a mobile home and the tarred road and even though the frame rotted away and the exhaust blew off, It still started on the key and delivered lecky.

These are the engine and generator specs on the barrel. I have had this geni for a good 10 years.
    Do not buy the bigger one.
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Greenbeast

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:49 PM »

How close are the neighbours in actual fact?
If you use a battery based system you could run a really small charger (say 300W) 24/7 to keep the batteries topped up and have solar feeding in during the day.
You could get away with a very small (read cheap!) cable in that case.
About 4-500 metres?
Fionn

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »

4-500 would be doable for 500 in cable (which could be sold again later) if you're only going to draw an amp or two, the bigger issue would be the ownership of the land in between and finding an easy safe route to follow.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Greenbeast

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »

feels a bit impractical :/

Was swaying back to maybe it's not worth it, but not only will life be easier, its worth ~700/month in extra income to live there.

We just chatted and decided that we'd want a battery bank to cope with a evening of tv/laptop/lighting but would run genny during the day to run w/m, t/d and d/w
knighty

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »

miss out the battery bank...

use 12v lights with batteries (led - lots available)

get a 12v tv (there's lots available)

charge laptop from 12v car charger

powered from lorry battery, charged when generator is running

done for 300 ish ? so thousands cheaper than a proper battery bank with a proper inverter, and a proper charger

or... use lorry battery and a cheap inverter, so you can wire it up to normal sockets / lights etc... (fit energy efficient bulbs)   - battery will be srap by the time you're finished.. but it's only a 100 battery

if it's 700/month difference, and you spend 2100 on batteries/inverters/chargers/generators then you might as well have stayed where you are and waited 3 months for the mains hook up ?
Greenbeast

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »

if it's 700/month difference, and you spend 2100 on batteries/inverters/chargers/generators then you might as well have stayed where you are and waited 3 months for the mains hook up ?

quite
Greenbeast

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 10:18:11 PM »

it's easy to forget things! we have three freezers and a fridge, of course they will come on as and when (i know about boosting the freezers)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: