navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living with a genny..  (Read 16487 times)
jonesy

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »

Something else to thing about.  I'd go with a  cheap genny as the warranty will cover any real problems.  However, thing about how you will get and safety keep fuel. My 3kva petrol takes 1l per hour at load, but not that much less off load.  However I tend to use the gas genny, as the fuel comes in safe easily moved containers that somebody else buys and maintains.  And it's cheaper.  3 x 20kg bottles is around 60l of fuel.  
I haven't looked for a while, but gas conversion kits on eBay were popular.  
Some videos show people just piping the gas straight in!
3 freezers?  We've weened ourselves down to a fridge freezer and saved around 400/yr.  We now compost the veg/fruit we don't eat and buy a tiny amount if we need it in the spring.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Greenbeast

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:52 PM »

Yeah i am actually looking at lpg gennies

Well we could probably get down to two freezers :p
one for us and one for the pets
Fionn

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »

It doesn't sound like you're willing to compromise much on consumption while living off grid.
In this case I don't think any investment in batteries or inverters etc will be worthwhile given the potentially short usage time. I'd just go with the smallest generator that will run your biggest load and put in a small throwaway 12V system with a few old car batts to run lights etc when the generator is off as has already been suggested.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Greenbeast

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2015, 01:10:25 PM »

It is somewhat frustrating for me, when i lived alone with one cat i could have lived with such a light footprint
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »

.... on the long run , its about  4 p    per kwh    for battery  kwh   ontop of  the rest of gear  for an off grid  setup  , PV should be below 10 p  per kwh  allready ...

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: