navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MSc Thesis - Renewable Energy Support policies - Need interviewees (Skype)  (Read 3834 times)
EmmetS

« on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am a new user and am posting here to get in touch with individuals and/or communities that have invested in renewable energy.

I am a Master student at the Vrije University Amsterdam, Netherlands and my thesis is looking at ways to evaluate the support systems (group of governmental policy support instruments) of a country from an investor's perspective. My thesis will be using the UK as a case study and part of research will require me to conduct interviews with different types of investors (most likely categorised as individuals, communities and utility scale).

I am hoping that through this forum that I maybe be able to get in contact with individual and community level investors. I am interested in speaking to those who have any type of renewable electricity generation installed, and whom avail of any kind and combination of support: soft loans, rebates, FITs, RO, CfDs etc. (obviously some of these will not be applicable to smaller projects).

The interview will be via Skype and will likely take place towards the end of May or the beginning of June and will take about 30 minutes. It consist of some pre-prepared questions and will ask you to rate some instruments on a qualitative scale. It will be recorded for transcription and will of course be anonymous. I would like to hear from members in England and Wales due to the differences in Support Systems in other countries

I hope to hear from those of you who meet these criteria and are interested to partake. Personally, I am from Ireland, previously studied Mechanical Engineering and have a strong interest in Renewable Energy and it's role in meeting our needs sustainably. As you all are probably aware, renewable energy policy in the UK (and in many other countries) has had a tumultuous beginning and evolution, and there remains much room for improvement. This branch of research aims to focus more on meeting the needs of the investor as a means of increasing deployment, and is a change from the policymaker centred perspective. I hope you will see the value of this research, and you will be giving me great help by taking the time for an interview.

Kind regards,

Emmet Sharkey
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:30:49 PM by EmmetS » Logged
EmmetS

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:47:47 PM »

If you would like to know more please don't hesitate to message me or reply to this thread. I really hope to hear back from some of you as contacting individual investors abroad is going to be quite difficult. Also if you could suggest some other forums or any other means by which I might get in contact with individual or community investors I would be very grateful. Thanks!
greentangerine

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »

I suspect you'd get some/more responses if there were alternatives in gathering your information other than face to face in London.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/SB2500)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP/Pylon US2000 14.4kW
immerSUN 2
PV
djs63

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »

How about Skype or FaceTime for interviews anywhere in the world and they're nearly free, probably your university pays for broadband anywY.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »

Hello Emmet and welcome to the forum.
Have to agree with the other chaps this is a UK/ European/Global forum we have helped in numerous surveys , polls over the years but we are spread all over the place from Finland to New Zealand via the UK France and Ireland.
I think perhaps you should rethink your methodology or accept the responses will be very limited.
Wishing you luck.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
EmmetS

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »

Good morning, Thank you all for your replies and feedback. I will check with my supervisor whether it is will be possible to conduct interviews via Skype or similar. I should have also made clear that the number of interviews I need is quite limited, only 3 to 5 per type of investor. I will post here once I know whether I can interview online. It is still likely that I will have to come to the UK so if there is anyone lets say in the South West I would be delighted to hear from you.
Thanks again,
Emmet
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »

Good Morning Emmet,
                And welcome to the forum. I wish you luck in your quest for the necessary information.
 Two words cropped up this morning. "Supervisor" and "Investor".
  Now I know that you are a "Master Student" and working on your thesis and I wish you all the luck with that but words like "Supervisor and Investor" will send any self respecting renewable energy saint hurdling over the ditches and fences to get away from you.
  Sad as it may seem. we associate those words, "supervisor" and "investor" with double glazing, central heating boilers, house alarms and of course finance companies.
 Then you give yourself the difficult task of interviewing your prospective clients. You have to go where the action is, so to speak, You will not learn anything about Paul up in Raasay, Clockman FR in Normandy or Biff back in Donegal, sitting in an office in London. I know you have constraints imposed on you and your time to travel is limited.
  I wish there was more we could do for you.
                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
EmmetS

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

Hello Biff,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Haha yeah I can see how these terms can be intimidating but hopefully I can explain a little better, the "Supervisor" in question is one of my lecturers, and the investors are you. It's a bit of a broad term but in this case just means anyone who has invested in Renewable Electricity generation for one reason or another, whether for profit or just their own interest etc.

To update the above, it turns out I can actually conduct interviews via Skype, so thank your suggestions. It will certainly make my life easier! Just to clarify though, due to the differences in available support instruments, I am only looking for participants from England and Wales. Sorry to discriminate, but I have to keep the scope of the research manageable. Those of you who are interested please message me and we can schedule a 30 minute Skype interview for late this month or early June.

I should also mention that the resulting report will be freely available for anyone who is interested.

Thanks again to all of you for your help,
Emmet

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: