navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any one using the Victron Hub-3 idea?  (Read 1960 times)
skyewright

« on: May 28, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »

The Hub-3 idea in Victron's Whitepaper on "Self-Consumption-and-Grid-independence-with-the-Victron-Energy-Storage-Hub
http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Whitepaper-Self-Consumption-and-Grid-independence-with-the-Victron-Energy-Storage-Hub-EN.pdf
has the GTI on the grid side of the inverter/charger.

and the description of the Hub-3 idea says:
The power from the PV inverter is supplied to the load through the inverter/charger.
In case of insufficient PV power the inverter/charger will supply additional power from the battery, or
from the grid.
In case of excess PV power the inverter/charger will use the excess power to recharge the battery.
Once the battery is fully charged the PV inverter will supply excess power to the grid.
If the PV inverter is fitted with an anti-islanding device according to local regulations, an antiislanding
device is not needed.

That sounds like a potential way to feed the battery on a grid independent mini-grid from an already established GTI, without changes that could affect FIT?

What puzzles me however is how does the inverter/charger know if there is insufficient PV power or excess PV power?

The illustration doesn't show any data connection from the GTI to the I/C & I've not noticed mention of any in the whitepaper? It looks as though the inverter/charger is simply attached to the same circuit as the GTI. If the GTI is producing & the charger is charging, then yes energy from the GTI will be used for charging, but is that just a matter of coincidence or is there additional communitation or sensing involved? Playing games with the frequency can't be involved, since the GTI will be synchronised to the external grid.

Am I missing something obvious?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
clockmanFR

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »

Just had a quick look, hmm interesting, but a few holes that need sorting.

The GTI on the mini created grid by the Victron inverter has no mention how it is controlled and I presume when every thing is charged and its sunny PV excess then it dribbles back out on the main Grid connect.
But maybe they have a shut off relay just for GTI's or they use the voltage rise to leak out?

It does say that it needs the Main Grid as a reference for HZ stability. NOT HALF.

The GTI on the main Grid side is just that but you tap into it before it goes back out through the Utility supply meter.

Now if they had OFF GRID AC coupling........... yea I wish......

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:57:44 PM »

hi , iam not sure if the hub-3 idea is ready yet , have not found infos on their blog  .....  victron is still improving theri hub-2 version   http://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/07/29/self-consumption-hub-2-v3-assistant-a-major-update/

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
skyewright

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »

hi , iam not sure if the hub-3 idea is ready yet , have not found infos on their blog  .....  victron is still improving theri hub-2 version   http://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/07/29/self-consumption-hub-2-v3-assistant-a-major-update/
Thanks. That blog looks like a very interesting thing to keep an eye on...

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
knighty

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »

I did skip some of the info

but my guess is that as long as you have grid power, then everything is connect to the grid, and the batteries are charged/discharged depending on power flow in/out of the grid connection

a bit like an immersun with a reverse function

then if grid power fails, the relay disconnects you from the grid the the inverter powers everything
skyewright

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »

...then if grid power fails, the relay disconnects you from the grid the the inverter powers everything
Yes, that's the general concept of all 3 "Hubs". My question was about a specific aspect of the Hub-3 description (the schematic layout doesn't show data connections that seem likely to be necessary).

Regards
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: