navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with powering outbuildings  (Read 1699 times)
east1966

« on: August 02, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »

I am investigating the possibility of powering my outbuildings and a pond pump/filter with a wind turbine, the outbuildings are currently mains powered.

I live in North East Scotland, the average wind speed is given as 7ms, it always seems to be windy although it is often gusting.

The power requirements are as follows:

Pond Pump & Filter (100w - 24hrs day)
6 x 35w Florescent Lights (210w - 4hrs day)
70w Sodium lamp (winter only 70w 6hrs day)
Various other energy saver lights on periodically

I was thinking of a 500w turbine and a battery bank, I would appreciate some advice on whether this sounds like a good proposition and what size of battery bank to go for.

Is there an automatic switch available to switch to mains power when the battery bank is empty and then back to battery when sufficient charge/wind power.

I can't decide if this is the best option or should I consider a system to tie the power into my household electricity, I am not particularly interested in selling back to the grid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: