navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas wanted on building a charcoal retort.  (Read 6453 times)
Bodidly

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »

Why not dig a pit then you would only need to cover the top.

Need to load with the tractor and our water table table sometimes reaches ground level. I started by digging into a bank but when the earth got hot it turned to dust and literally ran into the fire down to a surprisingly low angle.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:21:07 AM by Bodidly » Logged
Bodidly

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 07:14:20 AM »

Not sure but do you not need combustion air feeding into the base ?

Yes it burns a LOT of air when at full tilt.
Bodidly

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 07:15:53 AM »

i was going to suggest fire cement, or a castable refractory lining
Still might be pricey though for that size (would need a few inches thick i would think)

Will look into castable refractory lining but suspect it would be as expensive as using fire bricks.
Bodidly

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 07:20:32 AM »

Off to look up cob now. Thanks smegal

I have no idea what temperatures it can take, but may be worth a look. People seem to make pizza ovens from it.

Did read a bit about cob. Seems that there are many different types of clay and some are not suitable. Sounded like samples need sending off for analysis to get it right. Sadly we have no clay of any sort on the farm. Would be nice though.

Sorry to be negative about the suggestions so far but keep em coming as it's much appreciated

Beau
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »

... i guess , i would  go  Smegal s  route as well  ,  and built a dome / pizza oven style  out of clay/subsoil  and reinforcement material init  , like cop ,   straw can be replaced or additional reinforcement like chicken wire / re-bar  added

I mixed my own subsoil    with sand and grid , and straw  shreddered with our Kenwood smoothy maker (bless him  rest in peace)  and  some imported clay powder

A dome structure   can be   built easy   out of rebar and chickenwire  and the clay plaster  added to the structure  after ,  or one mounts sand or  on site earth  to a dome  and casts the cop mix over it  and digs out the mount under the dried out shell after .....

Other idea ..... 5 mm thick Metal   (mild steel ) is costing about 50 Euro per m2  , a welder ......

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Bodidly

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 08:00:43 AM »

Love the image of you mixing it all in a smoothy maker  hysteria How long did it last?

Does sound like there is some mileage in the cob rout if I can get my head around how to do it. Shame it's such a large first project in it. 5mm steel will give up the ghost in time. The frame the barrels sit on is some 5mm thick angle and glows cherry red then bends. A pic of the first frame in 3mm angle after one burn. It gets hot in there

* DSC00876.JPG (332.83 KB, 1095x729 - viewed 299 times.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:14:52 AM by Bodidly » Logged
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »

..... did the job ,    for shreddering the straw   for the clay plaster of our  35 m2 extension   building ,  ... cant remember  if its  still working ,  but  somehow  he never made it back into the kitchen .... whistlie

It worked quite well , cause the straw ended up in fibres  similar to strong hair , ....  so smoother than raw straw

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:33:00 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
smegal

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »

Would storage heater bricks take the heat? They may be cost prohibitive for making the whole thing, but could work as supports for the barrels.

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »

Does sound like there is some mileage in the cob rout if I can get my head around how to do it... It gets hot in there

Sorry for the negatives, but if you do go the cob route, maybe reinforcing is not a good idea. I'd guess multi-directional expansion and contraction of the rods or mesh would crack the clay open. You'd need to put a roof over it too... rain on clay, even baked clay, is known in pizza-oven circles as ruinous.

Chas
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »

I wonder if putting a coat of lime render on the cob would protect from weather, seems to do so for the houses round here. It's what I'm planning to do when I build my pizza oven.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178° at 40° slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »

I wonder if putting a coat of lime render on the cob would protect from weather, seems to do so for the houses round here. It's what I'm planning to do when I build my pizza oven.

Don't think so...lime rendered cob walls are deep under overhanging eaves away from much direct rain. Admittedly not much rain sticks to a dome, but lime render isn't waterproof enough for exposed cob. Either use brick for the dome instead or render with a modern product like K-Rend. Even that's not waterproof.

Sorry, off-topic-ish.

Chas
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 09:02:49 AM »

Don't think so...lime rendered cob walls are deep under overhanging eaves away from much direct rain. Admittedly not much rain sticks to a dome, but lime render isn't waterproof enough for exposed cob. Either use brick for the dome instead or render with a modern product like K-Rend. Even that's not waterproof.

Sorry, off-topic-ish.

Chas

Thanks, will look at K-Rend for when I build my oven as there won't be a roof over it.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178° at 40° slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: