navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towel radiator element running off immerSun  (Read 4434 times)
the blacksmith

« on: July 03, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »

Hello All

My apologies if this is in the wrong section!

My pv is heating the water very well, when hot the immersun diverts this to my UFH which is only 750w.
Because of this when very sunny I am still exporting, one idea I had was to convert the towel rail in the bath room to be dual fuel.

I have seen on flea bay a "ptc" type element, but it says it does not use a resistive wire to heat, it uses ceramic stones instead & it does not need a thermostat?

Below is the link, Forum mods I hope this is not  spam! , I have no connection what so ever with the company

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PTC-Towel-Rail-Heating-Element-300watt-200watt-600watt-IP55-Zone-1-3-3-/261587674444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3ce7d7254c 

Would this be suitable to use?

Thanks in advance

Lee

4.2kw & 4.1kw pv array+ immersun
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »

Hi Lee,
I've already done exactly what you're describing. I got a 300W PTC element, enclosed in 28mm pipe with 28x15x15 tees at each end, and added it to the existing radiator in the bathroom. I have a home brew diverter, not immersun, but same principle. Works a treat!
Just need to get round to painting it white  Smiley
P.S. the cable is now in plastic duct, so not lying loose.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:03:51 PM by pj » Logged
the blacksmith

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »

Thank you pj for the reply

What you have done looks great, ive ordered a 600w ptc last night.
my rad is 1800 x 600, I'm guessing yours is about 600 x 500?
 How hot does it get, enough to dry towels or does it heat the room?

I wish i could make controllers and things like that, but i am no good at electronics,  i just bash bits of metal!

pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:49:55 PM »

Hi Lee,
Sorry for the delay, just read your post. The rad is 700x500, you were close. I've got an IR thermometer, and just taken a reading. the top of the radiator is 55degC, down to 50 about three quarters down. The temp then drops off to about 30 - it's thermo syphoning down through the floor on the right, bringing up cold water!
It's difficult to tell if it warms the room, I suspect very little, however it certainly dries the towels very effectively. They are always dry sometime in the afternoon (we're morning shower takers).
Hope that helps.
dan_b

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »

Are you guys actually using the towel rails for something whilst it's being heated via diversion?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Fintray

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »

Quote from PJ "it certainly dries the towels"   Roll Eyes

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
TheFairway
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »

Definately OK using a PTC element with an immersun type device?

My Optimmersion has a setting which you have to tell it the load setting, ie 3000W. Not sure if this is just for display purposes or is needed for throttle purposes. Anyone know? Not sure if its going to like a variable wattage load. Would like to put a couple in to take the edge off the towels in summer and even better if they can take chill off a small w/c in winter.
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »

Just to add to the above, the only reason I've done this is to dry the towels, not to heat the room. In the winter time, the CH does a fine job of both and there's little or no spare PV after the HW has had it's share. In the summer, the house is generally warm and dry enough to dry the towels. I've got a switch in circuit, as seen in the photo earlier, so could switch off in summer.
However, in the Spring and Autumn, after/before the CH is turned off/on for the summer, the rad stays cold but the air is still relatively cool/humid, the towels stay damp all day - this leads to them requiring washing fairly frequently. So a saving in the washing bills, and having warm towels is an added bonus. (I suspect the mainly male contingent on this forum does not get involved in washing towels   stir )
the blacksmith

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »

Hi pj 

thats exactly what i thought, i will see how i get on with one, then get another for the other rad if all works out.

Definitely NO males getting involved with the washing here!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: