navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C.R.A.C  (Read 140868 times)
heatherhopper

« Reply #465 on: January 08, 2016, 02:27:49 PM »

New or refurb I would agree with Titan and give a high priority to passive solar gain. We bunged a full length extension on our SE facing house with lots of "picture frame" type glazing. This was mostly for the view but the heating benefits have proved considerable with the old exterior stone wall proving a great heat sink from early in the day. Not much good these past couple of months though. Panoramic type glazing would I imagine have the opposite effect (at least for our exposed position) with too much heat loss although thermal lined curtains can be a nice addition for cosy nights.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2020, 09:50:15 PM »

Lots of good advice there chaps, thank you so much.

Anyway thanks all keep the ideas coming, who knows in five years time we could have a massive house warming hooley extrahappy

Desp

Well whadya know, here we are nearly five years later, all those big ideas of buying a site and starting with a blank canvas have been extensively discussed and pondered. Budgets and prospects have been researched and we did do a lot of plot and wreck hunting on the Island, there are lots of very interesting possibilities that ticked nearly all the boxes. So after all the dust settled and a dose of reality it all boils down to knocking the shyte out of Cactusville again faint

What with work, Micro-desp (who is six foot three now  Shocked ) and Mrs Desps mum who will come over to live with us we are gonna stick a 2 storey extension up the side and a lofty on top as all things considered we can't make sense of moving away from this area. Besides Im getting used to it having been here for nearly 62 years now.

We plan to do a timber frame construction, stick built from scratch with a bit of steel here and there and as much insulation and air tightness  as we can squeeze in.  Sadly though ( or maybe it's lucky) we ain't gonna be able to install a comprehensive RE system as I first had the hots for, regulations and design, space, etc has pretty much settled that. On the plus side though we will be able to relocate the solar thermal system we already have, if it ever cools down enough to touch. There is a fancy new mancave at the bottom of the garden too with an as yet unsullied roof just crying out for some PV I guess, maybe linked to some more PV on the house?? Is that possible anyway??

To be continued tumble

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Scruff
« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »

...crying out for some PV I guess, maybe linked to some more PV on the house?? Is that possible anyway??

Dual MPPT inputs.
Parallel inverters.
Series/Parallel DC might well or not at all. It depends on complimentary aspect, shading and optimised inverter Vmp
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2020, 06:01:33 AM »

Blimey Desp.
You know that I am going to have a reread 127 pages to refresh
my memory of whats the plan.  facepalm.

Goodluck

Tod

Kidwelly South Wales
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #469 on: June 08, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »

Cheers Tod, don't bother going back over all that madness I can't remember the plan either.

Thanks Scruff, TBH I don't know what most of that means. Both the array on the shed and the house will be due south and I can easily set them up at the same angle, probably 42 degrees up from the horizontal. The shed array will be a bit shaded at times but happily no shading on the house array. I am thinking of feeding any excess back to the grid within the 16 amp limit or whatever it is but definitely no MCS malarkey, all I need to do is inform the DNO and get their approval and comply with the sparky regs. Is that right?

Building Control raised their eyebrows at our plan to stick build a wooden frame but couldn't think of any reason why we shouldn't. wackoold  Having said that the local inspector who we know well due to  our other works seemed genuinely pleased to get the chance to suss out something a bit different. So far our design should be a good bit better than the min imum target U values and we will take all steps possible to keep it all air tight, as we all know draughts steal energy.
I have to submit a full plans application rather than a building notice as we are building too close to a public sewer, that means we need a build over notice and hence an FPA. All in all it means yet another delay facepalm

I reckon shifting bits of paper will have taken longer than it takes for us to build it, now theres a challenge.........

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Scruff
« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »

You can us a little GTI local to the shed like a soladin or Nowtys loverly bargain traffo jobber SB1200 and a bigger unit in the house. KISS
You can also string all the panels as a single array single GTI in the house but not so safe because RCDs won't help ya if you dig the interconnector.

Ask permission?!

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #471 on: June 08, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »

by the way hello again DESP , great to meet again  you" still crazy old duffer"  garden

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2020, 09:39:30 PM »

Hallo again billi, it's good to be here. still crazy but  a bit less busy (for a while at least)

Scruff, I like KISS too, as long as it is all above board.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2020, 10:35:31 PM »

Welcome home Desp,👍
          ( Biff gets out squeeze box and sings,
    Welcome home, come on in and shut the door,)

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff
« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2020, 10:44:08 PM »

Above board? Us Irish haveta pay 250 for a 50 meter to donate power to utility networks that they sell to my neighbours.

Ef 'em I'm donating it for free..they'll have a hard time telling the difference between "spill" and load reduction!

Meanwhile, the national grant tripled install prices and there's no FITs. Who's the crook? We are all breathing the same atmosphere!
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #475 on: June 09, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »

But the Troika got the lot in 2008 Scruff. Cry Cry
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
gravyminer

« Reply #476 on: June 09, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »

Yo Desp,

You gotta have a project on the go and one or more on the backburner otherwise life gets boring.

My Quantock Hills project is done and hanging together pretty well and I spend my weeks back at the gravy mine, quietly doing stuff I probably shouldnt but with the knowledge and support of the locals  angel whistlie

Why did building control 'raise their eyebrows' when you offered a stick build timber frame ?
Although my experience with bought in timber frames was that I couldnt get near their price and they took care of a big chunk of building regs including structural calcs.

And best of luck with it all, including locating that public sewer so you can prove your foundations will not impact it

You might wanna get an order in now for plaster products, unless you go down the mag oxide board and lime plaster route  extrahappy

gravyminer
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #477 on: June 10, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »

Allo Mr GM,

absolutely, Im glad to hear your quantocks are in good nick, they are essential to life as we know it so I am told. As for Projects, lockdown was great for us I managed to get loads of round tuits done, to be honest I could do with a couple more months whistlie whistlie

Our BC man said he had never come across a stick built 2 storey job with a lofty on top, but he does know us of old and is intruigued to see how we cope. We have done quite a lot of timber frame stuff, garden offices,studios, summer houses and even one pub, mostly fully insulated and serviced and I have found bought in frames seem cheap as far as a standard panel is concerned but as soon as you start specifying anything like window lintols, openings, returns, flitchplates, crippled pockets to carry beams and whatnot the price seems to rocket. Maybe I am dealing with the wrong people, I dunno.
Also I just love the flexibility of a big pile of studs, a choppy and a gashammer.

Mind you until I get the full plans inspection and the build over notice it's all just a dream................... fingers crossed! fingers crossed!

Wotcha Biff, it is good to be back, I will shut the door as soon as Ive got one ballspin

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: