navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 87880 times)
kibi

« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »

This all looks rather good Scruff.
You're going to get me started on something with all this carry on........

Oh, no, look what you made me do!!

I found them I while ago, but I had to hunt for them since moving house. I have also got some long strips too. Mmmm.
A better DC box is becoming necessary as well as a separate comms. box since my current situation is becoming annoying.
What I have is a good start I think and you are giving me much inspiration.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:51 PM »

Im a big fan of retirement Scruff, Grin
                 But still I wish i could produce art like that.
                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »

I would not worry Scruff,
                 When you produce classy gear like that, there cannae be a lot wrong.
 Do you think it would be possible to design a relay of sorts, to step in if and when our DC immersion in the domestic hot water tank fails, (and it will fail eventually),
  Something along the lines of two returning wires from the poles in the immersions that note the dump load voltage climbing to say 144vdc and then automatically reconnect to the big green resistors that are already lying dormant in the the Wind Turbine controller. There is another 2kw controller that carries 2 strings=2kw and that uses the same bank but dumps into our thermal store. The third controller is left on during the long bright summer months or when I start the charger.
It does bother me somewhat, that the turbine could go awol big time if that DC immersions happened to burn out. Fortunately, I spotted the very first w/t digital controller failure last week in low winds and replaced it with a new one. So the inverter and the controller should be Ok for a good few years but the life span of the immersions is dubious.
  144dc is rather a high voltage for an ordinary relay,, but if there was no other way, I could tap a 12volt connection out of the bank and use some form of relay/solenoid to take the 144 to the dormant resistors in the wind turbine controller. It would be easy to test at any given time, Just disconnect the dump load immersion in the thermal store and watch the voltage climb,
    Would such a fail safe idea be hard to design, ?
                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »

Hi Scruff,
       Thanks for that, there is only one problem, The system is 120vdc and the battery is 2 ton of 60 forklift cells in series.. But while working outside, I came up with the idea of using another controller and taking two leads of the poles on the immersion, Then take the _ and a + and plum them into the battery connections on a new controller. These controllers have the big resisters already set up inside.
The immersion should take all the power before it reaches this controller, There would be a delay anyhow with the controller having to come alive and the dump load activate those few seconds later.
The only problem with that is that it means that a full valuable controller gets ties up all the time..and maybe it would not work reliabley, being switched on and off like that.
  I think, also have a special one, somewhere, that has an adjustable voltage setting pod for the dump load. which means that I could also set it up to be permanently alive but with just the dump load voltage set a couple of points higher.
                                          Biff

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:49:14 PM by biff » Logged

eabadger

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »

you can get voltage sensing relays which you set at voltage you want, get relay to switch a contactor if you want a serious load switching.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
jonesy

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »

That current sense and a BFO contactor is a really good idea, particularly with the delay setting.
It'll detect the immersion failure immediately and switch in the dump load.  To be truly fail safe, the contactor will need to be normally energised which will eat a few watts. A switched series resistor on the coil will help.
I'd use an aux contact to cut the power to the board so that once it's fired, you have to manually reset the system.
What d'you reckon Scruff?

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
eabadger

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »

what about.....
you get a relay in series with load? the relay when activated closes its contacts which make the circuit, if load disappears the relay will open, you can then use other contacts to bring something in?

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »

Thank you all for your help,
                              I am still working out where to locate the goodies, It would make sense to put them in the corner of our living room where i have my desk. At present we have to go downstairs to have a peep at the controller that manages the thermal store to see what power is left in the bank (it is a hell of a lot better than walking down the yard to the W/T controller) so a box containing emergency dump loads and amps and voltage readings would save us a load of hassle and running around, It would also be in a position to alert us to any immersion failure including the in downstairs in the thermal store. The most important one is the wind turbine immersion dump load immersion.
 To be honest, I have been quite lucky down through the years with our installation but I would hate to push it too far and a fail safe standby dump load in case of the Wind Turbine immersion dump load failure would make good sense. It is the only way to go.
I am wondering what exactly it is you found under that perfect cabbage Scruff,? It looks to me like an adjustable voltage regulator, perhaps a soft start one,? but I am guessing of course.
                                                                                Biff

Sean

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »

what about.....
you get a relay in series with load?

The current drawn by the load would destroy​ the relay coil.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »

That is impressive Scruff.

Biff

Fionn

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

Albright sell purpose built latching contactor controllers that might be of use to you Scruff.
http://www.albrightinternational.com/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Magnetic-Latching-Contactor-Controller-Range-Leaflet-v1-02-17-Electronic-Issue.pdf

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Fionn

« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »

I'm not too sure if your circuit will work or not Scruff as I'm not familiar with the delay relays.
Will it keep the coil powered continuously?
I've only found the Albright unit on a danish site for about 65 with a quick google.
I'm sure they're easily enough available, they're a current product with an update to them just last month.

Even if your circuit works though it's introducing a lot of additional wiring, points of failure and complexity.
For something as important as a low/high voltage disconnect or diversion controller I'd be wanting 100% reliability if using it to protect a valuable battery bank.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
jonesy

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »

I like the lighting.  I might get around to putting some around my CU, run off the router back up battery.
Cordless drills pull a mighty current at start up, then dump some back during braking.  Might be worth some over voltage devices/suppressors. If you have another 10,000uF lying around, stick that near the connection point as that will give more umph at start up.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
kibi

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »

Nice work.  Smiley
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

Obviously a labor of love Scruff, fingers crossed!
                                      Biff

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: