navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 62597 times)
camillitech

« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »

Nice to see you at work Scruff, specially on this Studer, look after a couple myself and have always been very impressed by their performance. One of them has run a large (sleeps 10-12) 'off grid' holiday let for 15 years continuously with no issues apart from the manual being worse than any Chinese translation so good luck with RTFM  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

Addictive Scriff,
                  But here is my latest burthday pressie,

This is quite handy, On the back of the transformer on the left,there is a jumper that  goes from 240ac to 120ac or 220ac to 110ac. The fitting are Texan and of course the US 120ac voltage.
It is also a step up,reversing the procedure. There is only one thing wrong with the design and that is there is no warning to users to not forget to plug in the 120ac to the left socket and not on the right 240ac one. It does create quite a bang if the 120ac is plugged into the 240ac.Apart from that,it is a quite little thing and barely gets warm.I will be plugging the right socket with one of those white plastic blanks,,,,,,,permanently.
  MADE IN CHINA,! Grin  ( and very well finished)
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:23 PM »

Thanks for the comments Gents, plenty more to come.  bike

Happy Birthday Sir Biff!
Nice pressie.

50 & 60 hertz too?

It does create quite a bang if the 120ac is plugged into the 240ac.

You could change the socket for a standard outlet type?

Is that battery charger not 110V - 230V compliant outtov curiosity?

I've had to do some retooling today.

I've been working on these two boards.
I've cleaned both with compressed air and isopropyl with my ultra-sonic cleaner.

I suppose we can call the one on the LHS the motherboard and the RHS the FET board.
The motherboard is 4 years the eldest and looks it's age. As your eye travels it from bottom right (most exposed to the elements in inverter housing) to upper (warmer more sheltered part of the enclosure) you can see the solder is a tired dull oxidise-y grey getting lighter and more wholesome near the top.

I tried a reflow with this but it's not cutting mustard the old stuff is too krusty and my hot air is too feeble, I'm resoldering every joint by hand and will reflow fresh solder again after.

Needa break from the lead fumes  vomit2 ....must upgrade my fume extractor imminently.

This is a handy microwave turntable I salvaged by the way, it's very useful for not mechanically stressing the work-piece and scratching tables.

May I present to you some of the latest innovations from the prototyping department;

Meter needle probes;

ESD safety armband...(not a thing I usually believe in but I make exception for transistorised devices)

One size fits all!

I realised why I made a light outtov a laptop screen!

It's for reading PCB traces!!  Cool

Last but by no means least I modified my air brush set (Xmas pressie) into a proper air compressor.. Grin
She's been...ahem, tweaked...used to be a pitiful 2.5 PSI direct drive...

Now she's set to 30PSI   ballspin
She'll do more but  sh*tfan
Longer flex too, I don't have to stand it on top of a socket outlet anymore.

Sorry to say folks but due to phenomenal demand and supply issues I can't take any more orders for boomsticks for another two weeks but anyone looking for some ESD Safety Bracelets just drop me a pm and I'll sort yas right out.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:27:27 PM by Scruff » Logged
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »

Happy Birthday Biff.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »

Thank you Tod,
              It was all very nice and civilised. 60 is fine and 65 is OK but with 70, I am knocking on the wrong door but keep knocking. It is horrible. Hopefully i will forget it all in a few weeks Grin

Aye scruff, I think the whole thing is 50 and 60 hertz compliant. The battery charger is 120ac x60hertz. So I am told. It does work beautifully, No hums or getting warm so I am assuming that that is a good sign.I will also check the specs on the box.

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »

iirc 50hz transformers will do 60hz but not vice versa.

Specs are usually plated on the device enclosure near the cable entry gland. Most ELV appliances these days are universally compatible. Saves production costs in the long run.
Scruff

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2017, 01:25:46 AM »

Next gen. ESD Safety Armbands have hit the shelves folks! More better, more features! Now with quick-releases!

Free solder dispenser with every purchase!*

*(Solder & gaff tape not included)

Here's the autopsy of the expired fan.

Judging by the state of this sorry carcass the other two are not worth restoring to service. Atrophied cables with internal corrosion, extensive board entropy and chowdered bearing...junk!

One of the others was also dead (but I expect from my manhandling since removal rather than prior) Atrophied cables. After some minor necromancy I restored it to health..but their days of inverter climate control are done. Mission critical post that, these are not reliable.

Stage one of the upgraded solder extractor:

One fan pushes two fans pull, creating cross flow over the desk out the back door, without cooling work/iron at point of use...the production version will be cowled, ducted and vented and soon as they are committed to salvage I'll rewire them 2 x series for 48V instead of using the boost reg. they're currently running off on the 12v radial.

Again all you professional electronicalinguists best look away...she ain't purdy no more but she's got it where it counts!

Hand reflow and gorsh but she didn't want to give up her krudd krust lightly! Took a while to say the least.

The primary side had me dual wielding irons again.

If grinder an paint make me the welder I ain't then enclosures make me the electronicalinguist no-one ever accused me of being!

More cleaning/ de-fluxing in the morning.
I'll have a rummage for a temp sensor tomorrow and buzz through the FETs, make sure they're all fighting fit.
I was going to check the caps but I'm replacing them anyway so I'll just do it for curiosity as I'm swapping them.

Also need a new LCD for the Remote (low priority) because the one I have is delaminating.

Easy swap with the flat flex ribbon cable.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:07:53 AM by Scruff » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2017, 07:43:02 AM »

Nice one Scruff  genuflect

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »

Wow Scruff,
            There are an awful lot of different thingwaybobbers involved, If you get  stuck, PM me and I can give you a fair old accurate weather forecast for your area,
 I would love to be able to dissemble, find the fault, fix and assemble correctly. Washing machines, Dishwashers,Lecky cooker,s , Gas cookers and even fridge freezers,, I could fix but a peep into such wonders sent a chill into my heart,,"RETREAT"  it screams at me.
  I had a good friend who started off fixing Grandfather clocks and then bailers and then grey Diesels..Locally he was an acclaimed genius and rightly so. Then he was asked to fix the injector pump on an early Audi diesel while on the engine, It was running lumpy.Looking down from above, He saw a 12mm bolt head on the side of the pump. He assumed, like you or me would that it was a bleeder. He pulled it loose with a ring spanner, It was very stiff but he manage it. That bolt was Audi,s early dirty trick. It held the rack to the internal pump wall and when removed was impossible to replace without removing the pump and stripping down the whole lot.Then he had to explain to the owners that it was not running at all at all. Grin. When I look at your detailed workings, I marvel and admire and hope to acquire a smidgen of your talent but still,,,,,,,,,,There are an awfuuuul lot of thingwaybobbers to remember, fingers crossed!
                                                                                        Biff

Tombo

« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »

Excellent stuff Scruff!
Scruff

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »

Who said I was fixing anything? This in an elaborate ruse to sell these spiffing ESD Safety Armbands and BoomsticksTM (*Special moderator discount available, voucher code; "breach of forum charter"  Wink)

Remember where it all goes....?  Shocked D'oh I knew there was something I meant to do... facepalm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:27:00 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2017, 01:56:50 AM »

I picked up this stuff today. For the first time ever Maplins were cheaper than a real electronics shop.  faint

Cleans oxidised tracks eh? Sweet!

Before and After... wackoteapot

Leaves no residue... Roll Eyes ...none of these statements are true...it dissolves flux..ya still gotta clean it!

Motherboard mostly cleaned now..no point going nuts I still have a re-cap to perform Monday.

I've replanted R38 & R117 in their respective homes and renewed the CR2032 coin cell (2.8V).

I decided to have a closer look at the big power caps before waxing 30 a pop on replacements...
Low and behold they're all tippy top, well within spec.  

PEBKAC

FET board polypropylene cap. buses also spot on.

No shorts on any of the FET rails.

New fans ordered and a time delay relay..I'll be done torture testing by the end of the month when it arrives. There's chatter needs to be addressed at dusk/low light, I don't want to be so cruel to my switchgear.  
freeze

So this over temp fault.

I cannot for the life of me find a thermostat, thermistor or heat sink...the only lead I have is this one (get it?  tumble)

I've been through all the ICs and there's no temp sense other than the remote battery sensor (that i can see...unless it's a sub feature of a clever IC). There's FET drivers, logic controllers, switching converters, a brainy thing, a real time clock, CMOS and op amps.

So if that's a thermistor in the main toroid it's failed short. If it's a winding why bother with switching regulators? If it's a current transformer they're not sensing temperature but load....and why put it there...not on an outcomer {like where that other current transformer is  whistlie}
If it's sensing load then how is there a fault no load?
..perhaps there's feedback from the (2 wire) fans? So if they aren't operational the power is limited.. Huh

Hrmm..nah..It's got temp. sense...the manual says it can tell if the vents are blocked... Undecided

It's connected to this Darlington Array...

like this

Which in turn is going to this

FET driver -> FET -> fans...

Hrmmm....

I think I want to poke this under power and see what it's doing...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:37:05 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2017, 12:17:13 AM »

.... specially on this Studer, look after a couple myself and have always been very impressed by their performance.

I may have a mission for you should you choose to accept it, I'll let you know in a few days...
It involves your thermomiscope and a DMM with a decent resistance range  (~ 1MΩ)  Grin

good luck with RTFM  hysteria

Any day now Paul.. whistlie

Ctrl + F is pretty handy....

Temp sense in two departments then.

Found 'em!

I was being a thick again. Thought they were Ceramic capacitors

Ceramic Cap.

Thermistor...Mine also say "101"  facepalm
Had to be there; in the air channel between the FET army central.

There's two because Studer,  genuflect
One's in the 10s of kΩs thuther's in the 100s, then that's a comparator beside them so they can average a very wide band making two not so accurate dofers remarkably precise.

Good news is they're both working...

So all I need is to find out what the dead one committed to an (e)poxy grave was.... Undecided

Meanwhile in another part of the installation...I noticed this where I plug in the Halogen Oven

This is what happens when you put plugs on high current appliances and use 'em. Making the socket fit all sloppy and stretched.....

That's a 6amp appliance, on 6amp cable with a 13amp fuse!

Found to be in an unearthed backing box, with a tile fouling the fitment... fight

New 10A fused plug & new socket fitted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:36:24 AM by Scruff » Logged
jonesy

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »

Blimey Scruff, slow down. I've been away 2 days and I come back to war and peace in colour.

A few thoughts
The temperature sensor could be a simple diode. Reverse biased they make a very cheap, simple and fairly accurate sensor. That lead out of the toroid could be a sensor, or a once only go/nogo sensor.  I don't think it's a voltage tap as the resistance is way too low for the tiny wire; However, it could be a current tap across say 20 turns. Does it have a resistance to the primary/secondary?  That could fit in with the darlington. 1 UPS I have got a bit warm (aka I could smell the varnish and it was melting)The internal sensor went s/c. I cant replace it as it is inside, so it's now a 10k resistor and a large warning notice.
I have a 3kva ups which monitors fan current.  If the inlet is blocked the fan pulls more current.
Those resistors need inserting, I'd say.  They don't look like dry joints (so might have dropped out). Manufacturing defect.  I'd be tempted to send the pic to Studer and ask for QA comment
Earth strap. Please tell me you have a 1M resistor in the plug top, else you are angling for a proper belt across the heart. Or fit it to an ankle, but be prepared for it to trip you up! You can get the proper thing for 1 from china with the resistor built in. Hmm, unless that is a small clip and a small loop of wire.  Grin
Bracing for criticism.  Does the back box need earthing?  I have since lugs were fitted, but the screw heads pick up earth from the socket. IIRC light switches dont earth the heads.
Are you still using lead solder?  I went lead free last century, but avoid the fumes anyway.  I keep a roll of leaded around as it melts at a lower temp and flows better.
I use trichloroethane or MEK for flux removal or IPA if I don't want my fingers to melt. Acetone aint bad and comes in 1L bottles for 1 here.
I can't imagine where that unit was installed for that dusty layer. Was it conducting, or just carp from a self destructing fan.  The fans should be installed to suck in the air through a filter, then the exhaust will push warm air out of any available orifices. Do it the other way and you suck in carp through gaps.
You can risk leaving that dodgy cap out of circuit (assuming there are others in parallel) until it is working.  Just don't work it too hard but you'll be fine (aka I'll be fine sitting a few thousand km from you if it goes bang)
To power that beast up, you can charge the caps through say a 100R/50W resistor, and you might even be able to run it with that in circuit. At no load, the resistor will run hotish. Stick an analogue meter across the resistor and if you hear the needle hitting the end stop, kill the supply. Alternatively if you have a big lab supply with a variable current limit, you can set it to 24V/1A and insert it into circuit in place of 2 batteries. The 'remaining' 24V left if the Studer pulls too much juice shouldn't cause too much smoke.

eblaggers that lie about products really get my goat; I bought a megger that 'worked some times' and it was completely and utterly fried inside. Worse, they had attempted a repair. Luckily for me, they'd lost a few bits in re-assembling it, so it was incomplete.  Got an immediate refund from the guy, despite the ad saying no refunds, so he knew it was junk.
The US market has a tendency to make 120V only products (not even 100 for Japan) as it is massive (350 million trump voters cant be wrong) If you are knocking out a few thousand, then it makes economic sense to just fix as 120V and save 10p on each one.
Nice use of the back light.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
camillitech

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »

Blimey Scruff, slow down. I've been away 2 days and I come back to war and peace in colour.

He has 'slowed down' Jonesy, not heard from in for two nights now, was missing my morning fix of 'tales from the loft'  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: