navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 89636 times)
Mostie

« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »

Damn, i thought you had built an ejector seat into that Sprinter  whistlie

..... not only that, it looks like you got a 25mm crimp onto a 35mm cable  Tongue

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
TT

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »

Nah Iím doing 40 amps tops, Iím just playing😀

I joined my battery connections with the 100amp single pole Henley blocks, big brass connections with 2 screw terminals

Currently tidying the garage to make more room for tinkering and a bench
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2020, 10:37:40 AM »

Excellent stuff Scruff
         You have the makings of a lovely book for Electrical fixes. You should seriously consider it.
  My wife bought me Electrics for Dummies,  years ago.
Unfortunately the terminology was American but the Style  was/is pure Scruff. Same light hearted humour as yourself  , says a lot in a page .
         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »

But that,s it Scruff,
       You are, and generously so. Bless you.
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:56 AM »

Interesting reading Scruff.
             One of my main concerns when installing our present off-grid Re system was of course the battery.
I had had a 12v system powering the house for a couple of years and was forced to recognise the limits of 12volt so I decided to increase the voltage 10 fold. The figures would stay recognisable,  just the decimal point would be moved over. This would mean that we would have 10 times the storage and input . It would also mean that we would never discharge our 60 forklift cells , seldom bring them down below 123vdc . These cells had already had a tough working life but settled into their routine and have been getting along very well since 2008.
  You seek and find perfection in your work. It is a brilliant and satisfying vocation. Being off grid , we have to work with the wind and the sun when they do decide to cooperate . We cannot pull a switch to control the excess or lack of wind or solar, so our parameters for harvesting the same have to be set very wide indeed . For someone like me with no background in electronics, it is a very satisfying learning curve with quite a few bumps and trips along the way.
 It is a balancing act. 
It is possible that we could find attitude to our RE  parallels  in music. From the Classics to the C /W, Then Jazz and easy listening,  From the perfectionist  to the "Suck it and see"  like me. It's  all good, We will get there and lower the footprint in the process.
         Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »

Scruff, is Robert Murray-Smith the real deal with his battery developments?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:48:19 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »

Oh cool , good to see that those PzS are still the same price , like in a pist i have from them from 2015
So you  say 14 kwh  usable  , do you intent to not discharge  under 50% ?
at C24  that battery is arround 40 kWh  total capacity as you know  garden

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »

I don't need/have the large capacity batteries; my want is for 600 Ah FLA. At the moment I have just been given 2 packs of Li batteries that have undergone poor storage and a traumatic experience of some sort. I'd like Li Batts, but ££££. Free batteries in exchange for my MT50 and lots of advice.
I built the 'Battery Doctor' in 1982. It works ok, but will soon get rebuilt onto one of those rectangular furniture dollies from Lidl or Aldi and have some L/C filtering added.
A Battery Doctor this morning:

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »

To choose between lithium  and lead,
     Was for me a no brainer. I already had lead and was happy enough with the results. I also had £1000 tied ip in 3 li-po 4 batteries for 2 EBikes. I always worried that the Lipo packs would ignite like the did on the aeroplanes.  I remember Chris75,s work in trying to tame them into agreeing and working together. Outasight carried out a load of observation work on his East European Lipos. Outa stored his lipo under the sofa. We miss his projects and willingness to share. One smart guy.
     Again, Between Lipo and Lead.. I don't quit trust lead but Lipo terrifies me. I have had forklift cells of different amps, different composition, different terminals Grin and run them in series for over a decade at 138 to 145 vdc and they got on great  no fighting but some drank more than others . They forgave my negligence and overloading, and each night as we head off to bed they still sit at 124vdc under their 400watt load..
  I know lead, I also know how dangerous it is however it is 80% predictable and keeping my 60 cells outside in an insulated all weather compartment, takes care of the most of the risks.
   Also, lipo can die suddenly,  I have known 5 x 26ah lipo packs and 2 of them died within the first 2 years, possibly from overcharging.  I'm not sure why but  I did lose faith in them. I dream of non toxic flow battery kits. Ones that would charge to 145vdc and carry the house for a week before needing any input  and you would get change back out of 100euros,.I do dream a lot
          Biff
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:53:43 PM by biff » Logged

Nickel2

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »

Old FLA (6 years+) and New LiFe (5 years+) batteries together. (Not in parallel)
The poor old FLAs have reached the point where I can't nurse any more life out of them, so they are headed for the pot: 4 X 58kg should bring in a few bob to the coffers.
The new old batteries. I was given 2 packs of 40 cells each. 1 was seriously ill, the other was still alive, neither touched for 2+ years. After testing and picking the best cells, I ended up with an 8S+7P unit. some cells leaked. Strip, rebuild, test, leak etc.
Bus-bars are very old brass door finger-plates, drilled and cleaned at the contact surfaces (underneath). SS M6x10, qty 112, + single coil spring washers, Squashed 15mm copper pipe cleaned at contact areas, gives 32^2mm end busses, with M8x30 SS bolts for terminal posts. After setting the MPPT to no equilibrium, float to 26.6V, boost to 27.4V, the thing seems to settle happily between 26.5V and 26.7V.
The spec for these particular LiFe cells is 3.3V per cell nominal voltage. I have measured each cell-strip regularly, and they all sit at 3.33V per strip.
Any info on operating this type of pack gratefully received - Not after criticism unless constructive, they were free, and beggars can't be choosers. Smiley

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nickel2

« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:57 PM »

Cheers Scruff, I'll bury my nose in that tomorrow, Thanks  Smiley

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nickel2

« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2020, 06:41:00 PM »

Hi Scruff, sorry to hi-jack your thread, thought you might like to see my Battery Doctor after surgery and mobility assistance.
Original: Variac, transformer, rectifier bridge, nuts and bolts. It did 40 years without washers, so probably didn't need them.
New: Trolley/Dolly from Wilko, £13.
Stripped down 800W MOT, rewound with 52 turns, made from scrap 6mm T&E, split and joined to make up length.
So; transformer > bridge > 10,000mF 350V > choke (inductor) > 10,000mF 350V > breakers/meter-shunts > battery clips.
I haven't got a working scope, but the DMM shows 350mV ripple at 10VDC, 10A.
The caps were new (!) scrap-bin harvest from a ups company, I got 6 altogether; 4 will go in my Mig welder.
Cheers, N.  (I won't fill your thread with any more of my stuff, promise Wink )

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:06:23 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Mostie

« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »

oh dear.. that Durite looks similar to my Sterling Power Pro..... time to find the 'scope  facepalm

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
jonesy

« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »

That Durshyte has so few steps it's almost a 1 bit DAC. Those fast edges could wreck equipment in double quick time.
Try running an FFT and look for the harmonics.That transformer you're using is distorting the waveform a bit, and will tend to filter out some noise, but will give you more objective results. Run the scope off battery and connect direct...you might get some more pictures of melted tools   Grin

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Nickel2

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »

Hi Scruff, I need to tap your brain again! (Or anyone else's for that matter). genuflect
As part of the master plan, I am replacing my old knackered FLAs with a shiny old LiFe battery.
Yesterday I ran the LiFes down to 22V; the inverter dropped out, the MPPT dropped out as they are both set to do so. I had forgotten to disconnect the PC, but it survived.
I used the Dr. to remind the battery of its function, re-starting with 10A. After that the sun was on the PV, and it kicked in with a near constant 15A, which it did all day long.
Charge controller says the battery has had about 2.5kWh of sun going into it. It now says 27.5V, 96% charged.
It is still taking 8A, and remains stone cold.
Does this sound right?
I've never had LiFe batteries before, and despite their age and free of doshness, I don't want to damage them.
Any comments gratefully accepted!
 Smiley

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: