navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 66094 times)
Tombo

« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:08 AM »

That boat has made me remember bits of my misspent youth *shudder*

Can anyone else hear the sound of the engine spinning over when you see the photos?  Out beyond the bar when the engine spluttered and stopped; when attempting to restart I can distinctly hear the sound of the engine note dropping as the batteries begin to die, I suspect damp HT, but unbeknown to me the engines cooked due to a used sanitary towel in the works (raw sewage cooled around here)
I'm frantically cleaning the leads and cap because we are drifting around the headland. 
Not yet fully panicked, I'm Wishing that I had never borrowed the boat.

camillitech

« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »

That boat has made me remember bits of my misspent youth *shudder*

Can anyone else hear the sound of the engine spinning over when you see the photos? 

Or hear the sound of it suddenly stopping after you threw a bucket of sea water into the bilge to clean it without realizing the air intake was open  banghead It ran OK with the bent con rod for years too, that's the old BMC 1.5 diesel for you  hysteria

I salvaged this boat from 18m of water and spent two years refurbishing it, I was so proud the day I first put to sea in it.

My son spent his early youth out working with me.

Happy dayz but never as happy as the day I sold it  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

Mine neyes,twitch at the mention of the 1.5 BMC diesel,
                     Going back to the 70s the tail end production of the Moris oxfords sported a few models with factory 1.5 diesels..You could not describe them as a "bit dead" but more akin to lifelless.
 Then there was a spate of conversions to diesel, The old BMC 1.5s diesels were brought back to life and installed in Hillman Hunters(not bad at all) and even an Ascona.
  Farther back, I recall a family friend who purchased an Armstrong Sidldeley Saphire in absolute beautiful condition ,with the purpose of driving it at weddings. My old Man drove weddings because he kept pretty upmarket machines but the Armstrong Siddeley Saphire was in a league all of its own. Loads of mahogany, silver, chrome, inset lights and a dash that would shame Concorde.
But it was an absolute devil on petrol. Our family friend has handy back then. He was young and serious. He later went on to found a very successful engineering works and became one of the main agents for top class machinery in this part of the world,,,,,,But back then he was learning and he had an inspiration. yes the 1.5 BMC diesels were about back then and he fitted one to the A-S-S.,
It as a very neat fit. Plenty of room, In fact you could stand under the bonnet, along side the engine.
With just himself aboard, it could get up and go and reach some 35 mph but with 6 passengers on board it saw the hills in the next glen and lay down in protest. He geared it down with a Landy box, they say but the last time I saw it, it stopped outside our shop at the foot of the hill and everyone scrambled out to walk up the hill to the wedding. He could manage the hill empty so would wait at the top and take off with the full load once again. Unsurprisingly, business dropped off.  Don,t mention the Perkins 8018 and the old Cavaliers.
                                                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:21 AM »

when I was little, probably 10 or 11 my brother had a boat with a 4.6bmc engine in it, no idea if it's related to the 1.5 ?

he bought the boat as a non runner, one of the oil ways in the head leading to the rockers had blocked.. it ended up with a broken rocker and a bent valve

head was already off it when he bought it, and one of the threads had stripped for a cylinder head bolt, drilled out by hand, helicoil fitted and it held up ok (to be fair, didn't torque that one up quite as much as the rest)

I can remember pumping away on a foot pump like mad while my brother jammed the end of a hose onto the oil way to blow it clear... and surprisingly it  worked!

a few days later I was sitting on the side of the boat, my brother sitting on the floor legs dangling down alongside the engine, he reached into the cabin, grabbed a mop and used it to shove me over the side :-(

I was already half way into the dingy when his mate jumped in to 'save' me... I had to stick an arm out and grab him, he had too much heavy gear on and was sinking fast :-s

I didn't go back to help with the boat after that... I'd spent weeks/months helping him, doing all the running around, passing tools, doing the dirty work, taking the dingy back and forth to go get him a can of pop etc. etc.    being pushed over the side left a bad taste in my mouth (in more ways that one!)

can't really blame him, he's not really a nasty person, he's just a moron :-(
camillitech

« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »

Mine neyes,twitch at the mention of the 1.5 BMC diesel,
                     Going back to the 70s the tail end production of the Moris oxfords sported a few models with factory 1.5 diesels..You could not describe them as a "bit dead" but more akin to lifelless.
 Then there was a spate of conversions to diesel, The old BMC 1.5s diesels were brought back to life and installed in Hillman Hunters(not bad at all) and even an Ascona.
  Farther back, I recall a family friend who purchased an Armstrong Sidldeley Saphire in absolute beautiful condition ,with the purpose of driving it at weddings. My old Man drove weddings because he kept pretty upmarket machines but the Armstrong Siddeley Saphire was in a league all of its own. Loads of mahogany, silver, chrome, inset lights and a dash that would shame Concorde.
But it was an absolute devil on petrol. Our family friend has handy back then. He was young and serious. He later went on to found a very successful engineering works and became one of the main agents for top class machinery in this part of the world,,,,,,But back then he was learning and he had an inspiration. yes the 1.5 BMC diesels were about back then and he fitted one to the A-S-S.,
It as a very neat fit. Plenty of room, In fact you could stand under the bonnet, along side the engine.
With just himself aboard, it could get up and go and reach some 35 mph but with 6 passengers on board it saw the hills in the next glen and lay down in protest. He geared it down with a Landy box, they say but the last time I saw it, it stopped outside our shop at the foot of the hill and everyone scrambled out to walk up the hill to the wedding. He could manage the hill empty so would wait at the top and take off with the full load once again. Unsurprisingly, business dropped off.  Don,t mention the Perkins 8018 and the old Cavaliers.
                                                                                              Biff

hysteria  hysteria  Aye Biff, the trusty BMC 1.5D a full 28HP and 6 knots hysteria mind you it only used about a gallon a day and ran for several years with a bent con rod.

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »

Do check the DC/DC on that Studer is powering the logic; you should get the display etc.  If you've accidentally replaced a normal electrolytic with a low ESR, then it's possible (unlikely) that it can't put in enough umph to achieve the 5V rail.

Confirmed. I most certainly did. Jonesy if that's all it is (and a 10 fan) I'm buying you a crate of beer!  fingers crossed!
Oh but it'll be weeks maybe months before I go poking that contraption again...I love leaving yee all in suspense.. stir
Bigger fish to fry...well actually lots of much, much smaller fish...

I used to fix Mercruisers, actually factory authorised,

Wow, yurp I'd well believe that they freely admit that they released them from factory not fit for purpose. facepalm

This is what was fit to that boat...

This is what I proposed. Guess what happened?  tumble

God is helping me cure the glue on the solar panels..between us he's not very good at it and a bit slow. There's bits of neighbourhood stuck to them and they're still curing after 3 days at it, he is better than disco lights I have to admit...I may have to splash out on a 385nm torch.

I tidied up my 12V rig, I've been hiding that in the corner too embarrassed at the hackery of it all to show yee.

It's not quite there yet, I still have a few meters to sort and the 48VDC interaction to consolidate. Much shinier than it was though. I've found the world's smallest DC Switch-Disconnects, I've two in the post whoop! DIN Rail! Yeah baby.  Grin

Before yee start giving out about my exposed lugs,  fight they're not; they're red leky tape under clear heat shrink...'twas what I had to hand.

Insulated bus & gubbins.

So I've been using IEE cable ratings (35mm 600V= 150A), but I'm using thin wall automotive cable (35mm 60V= 240A)...I think I have to destructively test some cable...hrrmmm wonder where I'll find 250A lying around... bike

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:49:33 PM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »

Scruff Nation Productions are proud to present the latest innovations from our prototyping workshop!

This dual purpose set of test leads not only makes searching for parasitic loads in your home vehicle a breeze but also offers inline interchangeable fuse protection to the super expensive high tech HRC meter fuse.

But what about mains I hear you ask? Are people still using that? Well have no fear we do those too!

Kill-a-watt..spill-a-watt I say! Does that current transforming dunce do A? Noo sir it does not!

Countrypaul

« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »

You could try switching the socket off  hysteria
Scruff

« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2017, 12:05:10 AM »

If there is a switch which on a lot of vehicles there isn't, there's just imbedded losses. If it's a transistorised switch it's never really off.
Anyways they're measurement equipment not energy "saving" devices.   
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »

More good stuff Scruff, fingers crossed!
                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2017, 03:38:49 AM »

The eternal search for a decent Chinesium voltammeter rages on. (yes it's the right shunt and yes I dialled the trimmer fully out)...the meter is rated 200A.  Roll Eyes
My TriMetric sleeps safe another night in the knowledge it alone cuts mustard round these parts.

Side note: if you disconnect the shunt while leaving the meter power connected this meter lets the smoke out...it's a feature, saves you feeling bad about binning it after a bench test...

2 x 1.0mm thin wall cable at 90% rated continuous. Hrmmm well if you're into heating cable that's fine. Only 70C max rated though.
I tested this thermocouple against boiling water...97C...eh yeah twill do for now!

My DIN switch-disconnects arrived..

Cwaor these are the bizness!  Smiley

Automatic disconnect if you try to remove the fuse.

If it doesn't have this mark it's not an on-load disconnect.   police

< 0.005Ω contact resistance. Yurp they're ex-service..what you didn't think I bought them new didja? I gotta get a return on my investment for all this test gear!  Roll Eyes

That's a pass too..good as new!  extrahappy

So small, so humble, 30A!  genuflect That's a 3U enclosure!

I should probably earth reference that TS MPPT.  bike

Yurp...definately.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:08:22 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »

Mrs Scruff needs an in-oven-ation...for her jewellery kiln.... tumble

400VA phase fired controller (for resistive loads).

Just add Sharpie and it's a themostat!

Scruff

« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:16 AM »

Work on the aulde E-disconnect is progressing a mite slow, I'm about halfways through a schematic and mostly just working intuitively. So I have one big red button and the idea is it isolates inverter mains feeds, solar controllers' PV inputs, 48V battery double pole, 12V battery double pole in that order. I haven't decided yet if I want it to reconnected everything in reverse order... it should either do this or lock out the system.. if it's not failsafe and/or tamper proof there's no point.

I started with a DPST 250A disconnect..

Amidst my horde of electrixical gubbins I routed out an Albright NC - NO microswitch.

You can of course just buy it with this already fitted but that'd be too sensible...

The disconnect has all the holes in the right places for the micro-switch, just a matter of retrofitting it. I embedded some M3 stand-offs in the threaded insert holes.

Tapped an M4 channel in the main contact rod to later add an actuator (M4 threaded rod)

And then filed it until it was the right tolerance to contact the micro-switch but without fouling the travel of the main contacts.

Some thimpking later I reckoned I need more switches...I have at least 3 latching 100A contactors, they'll come in handy, but I was thinking twas about time I looked at the big guns.

This beautiful behemoth was donated me by Paul Camilltech genuflect

Cwoar but ain't she purdy! If anyone wants to come by for a visit to stroke it just drop me a pm I'll put the kettle on!

Anyways there's a rather significant design flaw with her; it howls like every other piece of industrial gear that no damn's were given to noise filtering and it runs about 20W continuous. This is simply unacceptable to me for a standby load of a contingency controller.

I have a plan...

bike

There is another way using the limit switches in series with a 12V relay that triggers a mains relay...

hrmmm...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:18:51 PM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2017, 01:42:55 AM »

The astute amongst you may have noticed my ProStar schematic was not exactly the same as the implementation.

Flyback Diode!

30A dual schottky, common cathode.

I've paralled the diodes just because I didn't want an exposed anode loitering around my power plant. It also has a heatsink not because it needs one but because it had one from it's previous incarnation.

Saves me having to turn on leds when I want to run my "chordless" drill off my 12v bus.

I got this dofer to test for upcoming projects. It's a neat little controller/PWM led dimmer in one touch package.

Bloomin' transistor switches; 7W a day no load! Not on my watch. My off switch needs an off switch!

These are my rather bodgetastic leds I threw at the power plant as a worklight. The source of the magenta hue to all my photos.

I went for the RGBW version because it's 4 channels for the same price as 1 or 3.

Again you can buy RGBW strip but hey...run what ya brung.

This is my attempt at making RGBW from RGB.
One length is RGB the other is common anode RGB = white-ish with a diode acting as a primitive voltage dropper to reduce the bang of magenta from the red (powered from other end).

3 gang switch with a 24V boost reg. 2 ways serving WW & CW 24V strip over workbench. Last way is my off switch's off switch (only need to use one at a time the dimmer returns to last state on power up).

Tidified LEDs

(note cold white versus magenta white colour temp.)

Installed

Totally recommend them. Good dimming, great price, very low noise...you won't notice unless you are very sensitive to high frequency and even then only at certain intensities.
It has a disco-mode too...haven't checked it...  tumble

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:02:30 AM by Scruff » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2017, 06:30:25 AM »

Another good read Scruff with plenty of luvverly piccies  genuflect

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: