navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 61811 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »

That is impressive Scruff.

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Fionn

« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

Albright sell purpose built latching contactor controllers that might be of use to you Scruff.
http://www.albrightinternational.com/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Magnetic-Latching-Contactor-Controller-Range-Leaflet-v1-02-17-Electronic-Issue.pdf

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Scruff

« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »

Where can I get one Fionn?

Mine cost <£5

I'll get around to testing the theory in a week or so.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:06:05 PM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

The biggest problem with running a cordless drill from a 12V supply apart from driving all yer control relays mad, is that the thermal design relies heavily on the tool losing torque and having a cool down period between battery changes.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:47:21 AM by Scruff » Logged
Fionn

« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »

I'm not too sure if your circuit will work or not Scruff as I'm not familiar with the delay relays.
Will it keep the coil powered continuously?
I've only found the Albright unit on a danish site for about €65 with a quick google.
I'm sure they're easily enough available, they're a current product with an update to them just last month.

Even if your circuit works though it's introducing a lot of additional wiring, points of failure and complexity.
For something as important as a low/high voltage disconnect or diversion controller I'd be wanting 100% reliability if using it to protect a valuable battery bank.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Scruff

« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »

They turn on with the main board power and then turn off after a set time or they hold off with the main board power and turn on after a set time. So the board is always powered (must measure) but the coil is not.

It's a duet & they're not mission critical I'm not a turnip pilot they're to use what the solar controllers would be discarding because I'd rather heat water than inverters.  stir
You can buy reliable or you can buy 2!  Cheesy

I had the contactors for the E-disconnect before Paul offered me the ABB.
The delay relays I had for my photorelay circuit and I tend to buy these gizmos by the handful cos they're so cheep and easy to break.

My main concern is will the interrupt time be enough between the NC / NO potential free inverter relay to reset the delay relay power.
...problem that could be solved with...more delay relays... Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:54:41 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2017, 02:54:29 AM »

So those delay relays are a bit pants, surprise, surprise...

They need 3 seconds off to reset the timer. The one I added to the photodiode relay had eliminated dawn chatter but not cloud or dusk chatter...Oh the contacts of my extensively tortured 125VDC relay cough, cough are tickety boo by the way.

I added a cap I had lying around in parallel with the coil as a delay off hold. The Cap has enough juice to power the relay coil for a second and a half. Seems to be working fine now and my drill doesn't bother it anymore. There's an 8Ω resistor in series with the cap pos leg to limit inrush.

You don't need a battery to stop a GTI from being an appliance, you can just keep it disconnected until it's a generator. Which I can't understand why it's not like this from factory.  wackoteapot

10m of 25mm² consumed by the rig, and about 4m x 35mm² so far.

Commando inverters atm... whistlie
There's an RCD on DIN loitering to suggest I know better... Undecided

48V Distro Plumbing Underway.

Now with added Service Lighting

The door latch is the light switch.

The joys of grounding your earth.

Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:03:35 AM by Scruff » Logged
jonesy

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »

I like the lighting.  I might get around to putting some around my CU, run off the router back up battery.
Cordless drills pull a mighty current at start up, then dump some back during braking.  Might be worth some over voltage devices/suppressors. If you have another 10,000uF lying around, stick that near the connection point as that will give more umph at start up.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
kibi

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »

Nice work.  Smiley
Scruff

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2017, 10:55:33 PM »

Cheers Guys,

Cordless drills pull a mighty current at start up,

22A @ 12V

Might be worth some over voltage devices/suppressors.
If you have another 10,000uF lying around, stick that near the connection point as that will give more umph at start up.

There's usually 30W of running LEDs in parallel and a 2 x 30A flyback diode.
I've another 6800μF alright...she don't torque stall though. Torque isn't a problem at all.  Cool

Twas aboot time to replumb my meters.
I've this lemon on the 12V and it's the worst piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure of using.

It was calibrated accurately once and it took 2 days to do it. Then I presed the wrong button sequence and skewed the values. So it's a voltmeter and an annoyance. The instructions are misleading and the cal process is convoluted where you need a calibrated meter, test loads, buckets of patience and shorting plugs. I've nearly hammer calibrated it twice. Absolute muck don't be tempted.

This one is fine it's a bi-directional 200A ammeter and a 100V Voltmeter, with calibration trimpots, bish bosh done.

Unless the way of the electron is strong with you then I'd probably recommend Ah counters for all their shortcomings they are a superior class of instrument.

I like shunts. They use more power than Hall sensors but they're a hellova lot more accurate.
The wiring L to R is +12V (power), + 48V (sense), Shunt Load Sense, Shunt Line Sense, Common Ground (Power).

The really good meters have twisted pair to the shunt Load side to calculate voltage drop of the loom. But that's in the 50mV division.
The ammeter is just a precision voltmeter and the shunt is a resistor it measures voltage drop across the path and calculates current.

ApprenticeVolt Mass Combi 2.4kVA Cursory Load Test:

1.8kW Hot Air Gun full power.

Not a bad holding voltage for a 5yo used battery @ C5.5. Cool
76% efficient @ 70% Load (Listed >85% at full load)

1.8kW Hot Air Gun @ half mast.

77% efficient @ 36% Load

I see the future...skyscrapers made of stacked relay boards!! ralph
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:02:39 PM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

Obviously a labor of love Scruff, fingers crossed!
                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2017, 11:54:59 PM »

6 Isolators In
GTI Changeover relocated and homed in dedicated enclosure.

So in an effort to keep voltages separate I've 12VDC, 48VDC, 110Voc PV, 400VA 230VAC Isolated, 15kVA 250VAC Mains, a 600W GTI, 2.5kVA 230VAC unsynchronised in the pipeline, 3.3kVA 110VAC CTE in the wings, 230VDC in progress and 5kVA 230VAC synchronising one foot in the grave.....

2 x 40A PV Craig & Derricott....wouldn't recommend them, the rear retention of the 6-way switch cam is riding on 3mm ABS plastic that breaks while you look at it. wackoteapot
Both mine have been reinforced.

1 x 20A Kraus & Naimer...fit for purpose.
1 x Albright 252L E-Disconnect with key lock, NC & NO micro switch currently wired to Isolate/break 100A PV will later be the fulcrum for complete system automatic shutdown.

1 x Albright 252 Studer XTH Double Pole Isolator.
1 X Latching Albright SW80 Mass Combi Contactor Isolator coil control to be added at a later date. There's a switch panel in the pipeline.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:50:48 AM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #222 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »

Tres impressive Scruff,
                    I have not forgotten about you. I have been dragged away to haul timber in between trying to get my trailer sealed off and out of the shed..
  Pwoggress has been achieved, i vill get back to you velly shortly.
                                                            Biff

Scruff

« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »

No bother Biff. You'll be happy to hear I have those 200 boomsticks you ordered palletised and ready for shipping soon as you say the word.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »

Right Scruff,
            Good stuff, 200 is a start for now, I hope they are the two seater versions.
                                                     Biff

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: