navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 60342 times)
Scruff

« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2018, 01:44:59 AM »

Never hurts to have more powah!

Grin
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »

Yo Scruff,
       Fantastic insight into the working of a devoted mind. Great pics and full of valuable info. There is info there for just about everybody.
  The split charger interests me, How do you manually switch it over, ? Can you post a clear pic of the switch , pleath, ?thank you.
                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »

Its the orange switch with More Powah written onnit Biffer. ^  Grin
I'll find ya a wiring schematic laters. Its a DPDT momentary, 2 polarity in 2 polarity out. Standard motor forward-reverse configuration.
Scruff

« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »

I finished testing the fridge last night. 12/24v danfoss switched reluctance motor compressor.
Bench tested was 300Wh per day stock 15C ambient.

With the added fans triggered automatically from the motor driver and insulation it's now 150Wh a day in 25C ambient.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »

Thanks Scruff,
            I have a 12volt x 12,000lb winch wif 2 x 100ah x 12v batts.  Then my 90 amp x 12 volt charger has a small 75ah batt, I intended to put 50amp andersons from the charger to the 200ah bank but need a way to switch the current from one to the other without all this unscrewing and reassembling battery connectors.. The 200ah bank only acts as an accumulator . The longest the winch has to run is about 4 mins. So what ever kind of switch I use, It will have to be pretty heavy duty, ? I was thinking and planning in terms of 2 x Y x 50amp anderson connector leads which would also mean that the on board 75ah batt in the charger would share the load of the winch as well using no switch.
                                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2018, 08:47:23 PM »

Why don't you just make a 275Ah winch battery Biffer? Much less likely to end in flames buy running an unloaded alternator.
Keep it simple.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2018, 10:20:15 PM »

Hi Scruff,
        It,s sounds like I am already on the way to doing that, The 75ah batt is fitted to the charger but the other two 100ah batts are on a separate trolly. The anderson Y tail connector would accomplish that .
     Sometimes I go to great length to complicate things. wackoold.
                                                                       Biff

Scruff

« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »

Did I tell ya about the time I almost invented a 13mm spanner with an onboard fuse for working on batteries?  wackoold
Scruff

« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »

I picked this up used from Eblag, I prewired it onto a board to keep it modular because it's more than I need.
I take it with me when I want my van to power buildings or as a bargaining chip to stop my neighbours running smelly gensets or as a solar set for site tools.

Last outting I gave it to a team of chippies to test for me. No problem with skilsaws, sander, tool battery chargers, laptops, 4" angle grinders...
I took 200kVA offline for 3 days with 265Wp solar anna 150A alternator.

Just to see what she was capable of we threw a 3kW burco at her. My 235Ah battery sh*t the bed but the inverter seemed nonplussed.

They came from a mobile window washing company. Seller is open to offers. No affiliation.

I'm thinking of also installing a motor inverter so I can get a 3 phase outlet installed.

Inverter is neutralised at the CU.
Low frequency.  lovefirefox

She's due a bath any day now... ralph
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:54 AM »

But Scruff,
          It would have to be approx 200mm deep to be low frequency and carry a heavy transformer,
  Here is a very old friend of mine, One of the very first UPS that I ever bought on Eblag.  Some chap called Hewitt, if I recall and that is how it came here with those very dangerous poles on the front. but goodness, it was a great performer and I bought a few from private sellers and converted them to external batts myself with proper foolproof Anderson connectors. This model is double conversion and quite light to carry. It is rated at 780watt but drives drills and grinders without a sweat. It is still alive and well, I keep promising myself that I will change those horrible poles but I might just do that shortly, It has to be at least 20 years old.
The batts are 80 kgs and the UPS would be about 10kgs, (no batts inside) This UPS is easy on power and I would think that the efficiency is pretty good. It has also got a very powerful charger which is a real surprise much better than the APCs.
The problem with big powerful inverters is that they are hard to fodder as you just found out. I used this little UPS for drilling the blockwork ties into the steel on the shed in 2010, so it has been really well tested and like I say it is still alive and going strong.

The living dead or futter,s corner, This corner has seen more experiments than NASA. (but a lot lot less success)

knighty

« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »

it's a bit off topic but 'kind of' on topic....

I was a UPS for the cctv system at work... I'd like a few hours run time instead of the 20min most UPS systems will give me... (plus all the big ones are 500+ second hand)

any recommendations for an inverter charger to use with batteries instead?

I'm covering for power cuts / being able to turn the power off while doing electrical work etc. not cat burglars :-o
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »

Hi Knighty,
        A chap in town has just fitted cctv to his yard. He bought two 100ah x 12vdeep cycle batts , a small 30amp solar controller and a 50watt pv panel, so he is toally independent of the house current.
 His cameras are all 12v anyhow but I suggested a small 650va Back-UPS approx 400watt. The ac travels better. His yard is 60 x 60 ft and he says it will be OK doing it in 12v.
That particular ups is extremely reliable and easy run,so you would have no trouble getting plenty of hours out of it in a power cut, if connected to the external 200ah x 12v pack,,one very similar to the one above in my last post. even a smaller pv supply would do. say 20watt. Don,t buy a new UPS because they are all mostly on timers now. The one that I have suggested, here has an alarm that can be switched off and it does 220 230 and 240ac output. It is low frequency and quite heavy. The good news is they are relatively cheap and can be bought for about 50, or a lot less. There is a metal cover on them and they are quite old. If you are interested,, I will post a pic of one for you.
                                                                         Biff

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:10:13 PM by biff » Logged

knighty

« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »

my cctv stuff is pretty modern, there's a server PC running 24/7 recording

all the cameras are POE IP cameras, so they're network cameras and the power flows over the networking cables

the POE (power over ethernet) bit is pretty cleaver, the cameras 'talk' to the hub they're connected to and the negotiate the voltage the hub sends to the cameras... so if the wires are a bit longer it sends higher voltage to compensate for the volt loss over the wires

shockingly good quality pictures too.... can't go wrong at 60 a camera and 40 for a (used) hub to plug them into !

each camera is 15 watts and I'll have 30 of them by the time I'm finished the upgrade
pluss a few hundred for the server
plus a little bit for fans, internet router etc.

I'm trying to stay as low power as possible... but I've had too many breaks ins to skimp on stuff.. so hopefully well under 1000 watts... but that looks to kill most UPS systems I've seen :-o

just 2 weeks ago someone climbed over the front fence, across the top of a freezer and into the building next door I'm expending into... and nicked my stihl saw... got it all on camera, and found out the guys name and address pretty quick (guys working for me recognised him as local)

I think/guess someone must have seen me working tools and either tipped him off or sent him for them, I'm normally pretty good at keeping things safe but I thought they were pretty secure

but... just like last time the police are a waste of time :-(
Scruff

« Reply #253 on: August 24, 2018, 03:35:14 AM »

Yellar Xantrex knighty.

Good enough for the NHS.

Best source; Ambulance breakers.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:43:17 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2018, 03:41:15 AM »

Can't recommend a good charger. Maybe Ctek....I'll tell ya in a month. PM me if you'd prefer a prostar 30m.
Parallel inverters, and I'd say suresines.
Plentya Studerz 1212s fer everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: