navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 60210 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »

Morning Knighty,
             Anything that is life critical has to be good and that "yaller one" that Scruff put up would be very good indeed. However, If you cannot lay your hands on one of them, you could try one of the following which is an old "Off Grid" favorite,
, It is a 3,000va or 2.8kw APC rack mount (obviously,,but yu do get the same in a tower version)
 It is 48volt dc with little piddly batts inside and a pretty hefty fuse splitting the pack,exactly in the middle,  You will note the 50amp anderson connector at the top left hand corner, so external packs are simple to connect, you just do 4 in series and stick the same fuse in the centre like the internal pack. The mains plug is a hefty 32amp and just above the mains entry is the 32amp AC output if you need  some heavy power. To the far right are the usual outlets which can be set to shut down in sequence of priority. In other words, if the dc power is running low the UPS can dictate which one are important , keep them alive and shut down the rest.
..This is the front and the controls are the usual APC fiddling about where you have to be absolutely sure that you shut it down in order to boot it up. Cold starting after months of inactivity is simple enough, You can boost the capacitors and start it with a small 75watt x 12v plug in car inverter as mains.
  Now if it were me, I would install something like this but use 4 small 20amp solar pv panels to feed it through a 48volt solar controller. The power from this UPS is very good quality sine wave. It is very heavy,even without the battery pack inside it. It is low frequency of course. There are loads of good UPSs that will do the job. There was a UK manufacture called Claude Lyons and I can say in all honesty that any of his stuff that passed through my hands was the best built of the whole lot and that is saying something.
  I used to buy these for under 100 each but goodness, i have noticed lately that prices have gone up drastically. voltage has also gone up and i noted at least 5 x 240vdc models for sale,,some around 450,00. and the sellers cures the confusion by stating that they need 20 x 12v batts to run. So there are people definitely going up in voltage like I did. My Symmetra RM is fetching big money now and it is only 120vdc. I think what is happening now is that the new stuff has all kinds of complicated tricks on board as well as the 20 minute timer which is a nasty dirty curse of a trick, so folks are going for the older less complicated gear. The only other thing that I can say in defense of these UPSs is that they will outlive a dozen expensive ordinary inverters. You have to work really hard to kill them.
                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »

POE stuff is great. And for CCTV the best program I have found for monitoring is 'Blue Iris'

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
knighty

« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »

Scruff, I found a Xantrex on ebay, I'll bid on that before it ends, fingers crossed!

Biff... I've been looking at those... but the're all 400 ish on ebay... seams a bit steep by the time I need to butcher it and add batteries

Tinbum I'm running Dahua cameras so running their software, not quite sure how it works, I think it has the cameras send the footage direct to disk (maybe ftp?) - the CPU overhead is tiny.... I gave blue iris a quick try but the CPU I have doesn't support their direct to disk stuff so the CPU was running 100% with just 5 cameras

I'll bid on the Xantrex and hook it up to a few 12v batteries in parallel... I already have 4 100ah ones I bought from a guy who works on UPS stuff!  - I bought a ups from him before but it broke and his new job doesn't let him keep the old stuff :-(
jonesy

« Reply #258 on: August 27, 2018, 08:13:24 PM »

That mains inlet looks like a C19 biff,  which is 16A. There are some variants, as for example, some kettle connectors come in 13A.  You'll often find the current rating in a circle on the plug.
One thing I have noticed with older ups is their efficiency is poor. None of mine are better than 80%. Even a fairly new switching type only gets to 85%. If you only have a 7ah battery, full load run time is not really affected. Chargers are often weak.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Scruff

« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2018, 05:12:00 AM »

Indeed. A UPS is not like an off-grid inverter. They're power thirsty, and the chargers are worse than the reassuringly expensive carp or combi junk.

I performed an inverter transplant.

I chucked my

that generates this filth

for a swanky low-frequency solid state jobber  genuflect

that generates this wavey thing

Welllrr...she ain't no Studer but, but, but Solid State!... faint

My motor is now a double conversion UPS.

Neutralised by I because I can and tis betterest...I think...anyone disagree?

beercoz this switchy thing now works and there's less potential harm to humans...I like them...well, some of them  Tongue

+ remote

I had a few leftovers....

Deployable 600VA with integrated USB + lighting + 12V service lighting
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:38:22 PM by Scruff » Logged
TT

« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »

Hi Scruff,
Do you have pics?
I have a couple of inverters spare that I fancy modding so any pictures would be welcom
Scruff

« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »

Pics of what TT?
I've documented most I've opened in this thread.
What are you modding?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »

Super pics Scruff,
                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
TT

« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »

The last post before mine, does it have pictures, as I can only see small squares?
fred bloggs

« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »

I cannot see pictures either just small squares, to be honest most of your thread is like this.

Best regards

Fred
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »

Try click on refresh and wait a few seconds,     
                                Scruff has 10 excellent pics there.
                                                       Biff

Iain

« Reply #266 on: September 11, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »

Hi
Can't see them on an iPad?

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
roys

« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »

Me neither, just small squares.
Joeyboswell

« Reply #268 on: September 11, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »

Greeting,

I can only see small squares in most postings, but I can see pictures in post 255 pr 256 above from Biff. I am using an ipad

Cheers Mike
Scruff

« Reply #269 on: September 11, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »

Wellrr they work fine for me on  out of date lovefirefox , win7

You want the Mother Lode? >>>>Clicky<<<<<
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:38:32 PM by Scruff » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: