navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 73766 times)
TT

« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »

Looks awesome.

Can I ask what the extrusions are?
They look interesting!
Westie

« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »

Beautifully built Scruff, may I ask what the application is?

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Scruff

« Reply #302 on: December 14, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »

Bosch Rexroth TT.
I didn't bother with the proprietary connecting hardware. You can channel pan head M4 and use self tappers on the flat.

It was supposed to be a flagship of a fleet of conventional generator dominating power providers.
For hire and reward Westie. She owes me a lotta dough and I intend to get it back outtov her.
What isn't the application? Indoor approved, 25dB, doesn't use fuel, smells great, near-zero idle consumption.
Ohh how I laugh when I see lads pulling strings on two-stroke engines.

The ApprenticeVolt lets the side down. Bittova prime lemon mover. I've had to invest in 2 mains solid-state control relays and a MS relay driver to work around it's shortcomings.

It's a €3k inverter charger combi.
Supposedly that would make it a pere at least on pricepoint to a Studer.

The Apprenticevolt being high frequency is sporting a €400 B-type RCD on it's output and a switched PE.

A low-frequency inverter only requires a €30 RCD and can have a permanently wired earth.

Low frequency has double the surge sustained for 30mins not 0.5s.

The ApprenticeVolt charger will not power the inverter. So if I plug a filthy generator into the input the ridiculously expensive power filtering capable inverter has a nap while the filthy genset powers the load and the charger. So it doesn't UPS...I expect if it did it'd have more warranty returns because it's working harder?...call me a cynic.
The ApprenticeVolt programmable relay only operates as an alarm in conjunction to LVD so you cannot maintain power to load.  The relay will not operate until after the inverter shuts down. Thus making a problem it could have prevented by say starting a genset.
It's not 2.5kVA it's a 10A inverter.
2.3kVA @ 230Vac
2.5kVA @ 250Vac

The status LEDs don't work/are misleading at 60VDC (and arguably 48v also)
The charger derates @ 57VDC
The sense accuracy is ±5% Shocked
The charger over-reads charge ~2A
The High Voltage Disconnect feature isolates the load (inverter: responsible for voltage sag) but not the charger( the only bloomin' possible source of high voltage in the unit)  fight
It occasionally turns off for no reason.  wackoteapot
Over-temp alarm facilitates fault condition power cycling.
The charger is not a three-stage it's constant voltage.
It has no sense terminals. They just expect you to use 240A cable on a 50A appliance.

My Combi came with a €180 proprietary modbus interface.
I ponied up €180 for a proprietary serial interface to interface my computer, to an interface, to another interface to something that could have been standard in the first place.
This is what my hard-earned won me the illusion of choice to do.

ApprenticeVolt recommends a 6mm² earth which ought to light up nicely with a DC fault current in the order of 100A across it before rupturing the recommended 80A Fuse.

What is the matter with the charger?
Well, it's designed to charge according to time not tail current.
Much like the Dutch like to fill their petrol cars by the hourglass instead of the litre.

It has a predefined current ramp in absorption

like this

What I need is this

It can't do it and ApprenticeVolt do not answer direct questions about why not.

What it does do is CV to the highest setpoint with diminishing current. And ignores all other values except min time(??).
When asked about this ApprenticeVolt say it's very old so even though it's still on the market I ought not expect so much.
Ironically these are not new difficulties.

I can charge the battery in 90mins to 2 hours with 28amps (out of advertised 35A*).
Any way I automate it with ApprenticeVolt hardware I ended the test. 80% not achieved in 10 hours.

What I've had to do is set bulk to 65V and use a MorningStar relay driver to turn off the mains feed externally when it's charged.
MorningStar is also handling LVD, HVD, Lo-temp, high temp, cascade (soft) startup, Critical disconnects.

If it was lead I could do without €500 of safety switchgear. If it was low frequency it'd be better, stronger and €370 less switchgear.
If the inverter worked as advertised I could do without €400 of control electronics.

ApprenticeVolt's advice was to buy more overpriced unsuitable hardware that wouldn't solve the problem. lovefirefox

I've been having better luck refurbing Studers. I just clean them, replace the fans and they never stop.
I've just finished resurrecting a 1.2kVA that holds 2kVA 15mins ....I stopped the test rather than replace a master fuse.

The battery is under-rated and has active balancers. It delivers 3kWh to the load, this aperture is automated from a 4kWh battery.

You know how I'm gonna make millions producing these? I'm one of the few who can make off-grid hardware work through the mountainous haze of marketing BS and conventional unmetered opinion to build hardware capable of 100% duty.  ballspin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:43:51 PM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #303 on: December 15, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »

Scruff,
   There is no doubt about it, You are my long lost cousin.
 I can tell by the way that you fix everything into the limited space. I just knew that I had an Identical twin cousin  somewhere  doing great things..
  If you need help to put it running correctly , well you know,, I AM ALWAYS HERE,, , You know of course  I am clueless about things that spark and shock but I can provide a great round of applause when you conquer it.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2019, 01:03:01 AM »

Blimey Biff I just thought of something! It'll need a smiley face/sad face diagnostic readout!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: