navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 61787 times)
Fionn

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »

RS232 is just favoured as it uses differential voltage levels with a much wider spread
So instead of USB signalling a zero with 0.00.3 V and  a one with 2.83.6 V , RS232 uses -3 to -25V for one and +3 to +25V for zero.
As a result it's far more immune to noise in an industrial environment.
Oh and the low data rates help too of course.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »

...So my battery was powering the PV at night..hence the filling a bucket with a hole in it and the inductor howling feedback loop...

I am a firm advocate of fitting a Schottky diode to each branch of a combiner system. Would this help prevent a future occurrence of 'drain-back' in future?  whistlie

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Scruff

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »

RS232 went outtov fashion in 1998.  They're a bit like manual car window winders...
[Edit:] Ah now I see Fionn's post..err yeah ok that's fair enuff considering...TriStars are noisy blighters.

I am a firm advocate of fitting a Schottky diode to each branch of a combiner system. Would this help prevent a future occurrence of 'drain-back' in future?  whistlie

That's what solar controllers are for.
Look at the power you lose due to the Vf of the diode then compare it to the power you lose not having one and see how much difference it makes. To be honest it was the horrible ringing noise that upset me more than anything else.
Hopefully no need the TS is doing it's job, hit float aboot an hour ago.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:16:16 PM by Scruff » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »

RS232 went outtov fashion in 1998.  They're a bit like manual car window winders...
[Edit:] Ah now I see Fionn's post..err yeah ok that's fair enuff considering...TriStars are noisy blighters.

And what is wrong with manual window winders  fingers crossed!

All the systems on oor ferry (2013) from a load of differernt suppliers worldwide are RS232 for programming and interogation. Battery management system from Finland, Power management system from Germany, Energy management system from Holland. I kinda though there must be a good reason for it, cos it annoyed the feck out of me at first Scruff. It's a real PITA if you don't have RS232 on your laptop cos most of the converters are carp  banghead

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »

And what is wrong with manual window winders  fingers crossed!

Toll booths on the mainland!
I actually prefer them cos they're reliable...but I'm odd that way.

All the systems on oor ferry (2013) from a load of differernt suppliers worldwide are RS232 for programming and interogation. Battery management system from Finland, Power management system from Germany, Energy management system from Holland. I kinda though there must be a good reason for it, cos it annoyed the feck out of me at first Scruff. It's a real PITA if you don't have RS232 on your laptop cos most of the converters are carp  banghead

And of course all the good intentions are undermined when you run USB cable to a local interface rather than remote interface on serial cable.  stir
Yurp...FTDI accept no substitutes, we've all been there.
Two days it took me to get MSView to work.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »

...Look at the power you lose due to the Vf of the diode then compare it to the power you lose not having one and see how much difference it makes. To be honest it was the horrible ringing noise that upset me more than anything else...

...Look at the entire system you lose when the shed/wshop/house catches fire from a failed/overheated/burned-up component. I have always tried to follow what I learned, i.e. fail-safe may waste power, but safety comes first in my household. To be honest it would be the horrible fire-engine siren noise that would upset me more than anything else...

Select your diode by current, V f and T op. I'd rather have power-loss than house loss!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Scruff

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »

But circuit breakers don't have a Vf N2.
jonesy

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »

RS232 is just favoured as it uses differential voltage levels with a much wider spread
RS232 is single ended.  RS422/485 is differential,  485 being multidrop.  IIRC 485 is used to interconnect SMA gear.
At least tristar don't fit a usb connector for their rs232 connection unlike a certain brain donor pressure cell manufacturer, even if it is hard to get to.
232 ain't bad in industrial, but 485 is the correct one to use for permanent installs.  Quick too.
None of them offer isolation as standard, but isolators are cheap.
The best rs232 usb converters I've used are based around the ftdi ft232.  However, unless you buy it from ftdi, they will be carp clones.  2nd best is the cp210x which doesn't seem to be cloned, and third, but no slouch is the ch340 which is Chinese, so probably no clones exist yet? The ch340 is fitted to a lot of arduino stuff.

Doesn't work every time scruff, but a hotplate set to around 150C to get the board up to temp for a few mins will help the hot air no end, as you then only need to heat the components another 70 or so. If I know it's going to be a real sob I'll set the hot air to 450, max flow. Then turn the hotplate off and let the board cool down slowly.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Scruff

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »

Yurp I knew I had the wrong tools for the job and it's not worth replacing the bank considering the investment in tooling I would need. My hot air is a just a feeble portsol. But I knew I'd never get it once I noticed how hot the cable lugs were getting in the process.

If I was to use an oven I'd need to depopulate the board of a lottov gubbins...plastic surrounds, electrolytics, flex cables... er...nah pick the battles you can win.  Smiley
Scruff

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »

The TS MPPT is behaving admirably now.

Why have I Voc at night? Is that an MPPT thing?

It appears so the Controller holds the panel 5v lower than battery at night.

So the 12VDC is half installed and working well.

Mostly it powers lights in the leckytronics lab, charges phones, powers laptops, charges 12V batteries, powers my 14.4v drill, powers 12v fans for solder fume extraction and feeds control circuits for the 48V system (meters, relay coils, notification leds, work light) to name but a few.

Prototyping/surgery bench lighting.

4 x 7W MR16 onna zip line, 2 x MR16 bodged to a pole, overhead WW/CW 12V striplight.

Power Station temporary work lighting (Amber)

There's 3 x 250A Bus bars with covers. Two installed one pending 12V enclosure acquisition.

2 negative one positive. First neg. is c/w shunt at distribution.

Thuther 2 are on the workbench.

The Positive is feed from my ProStar 30 LVD output onna 25A DC MCB for good measure.

I shrank the hole on the shunt to fit smaller bus bolts by running a bolt with some copper pipe (sleeving) down with an impact

hmmm...snug!

Because it's it's own system I have redundancy, I'm not running lossy DC or even worse AC converters and there's no parasitics.

Outlets are 12VDC cig. lighter, 12VDC Hella/DIN, 5VDC USB 2.1A & 1A

Bus Inputs;
15A Victron 12V Mains Charger, with PSU mode...passable..just
125Ah 12V Traction Battery
Croc Clips
MorningStar ProStar 30A

Bus Outputs;
12VDC/5VDC Sockets
Croc Clips
Prototyping receptacles

Here's a battery power supporting the bus battery...er...or maybe it's charging from the bus battery...or maybe it's charging the bus battery...or maybe it's charging from the sun...it's all relative.  bike

I've fired my battery monitor for being garbage...

Currently hiring bi-directional volt ammeters.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:46:33 AM by Scruff » Logged
jonesy

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2017, 01:40:35 PM »

Hmm. I'm a bit jealous.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Scruff

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »

Ah don't be Jonesy...come visit! ...plenty of electrical challenges and gear needing testing to go around. Bring your screwdrivers...or your reflow station whichever you prefer.  Smiley
camillitech

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »

Ah don't be Jonesy...come visit! ...plenty of electrical challenges and gear needing testing to go around. Bring your screwdrivers...or your reflow station whichever you prefer.  Smiley

French wine  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2017, 01:15:50 AM »

Always an open door to a Navi member...

The photo sensing relay needs a lottov refinment after a few days observations. Today was one of the first it was operational since install and there's a few issues.
It's missing the first 2 hours light from the angle it's at and there's a shadow crosses it for 2 hours....I can parallel them though from different aspects or stick it on the panel in an IP enclosure.
The Soladin is having a rest so I can monitor the TriStar. I can still see the relay activate, it cycled a good bit today, and cycling the power to a GTI resets the G83/2 wait timer to reconnect so that may prove to be a nuisance. Hrmmm...all signs tell me they work best as duets.

I've been tinkering with curing these poorly modules today and hindsight has thought me I ought to be using 365nm UV leds to cure the glue...however what I have are disco style 395nm... facepalm.
I really don't want a torch, I was hoping for a fire and forget solution...still though it's taken a substantial part of today to not cure one so a torch may save time in the end.

I got this glue from China...at tis right hard to get through customs for some reason.  Huh

I've tried before and it never made it twice and I was refunded. Armed with this information I ordered 4 batches from 4 sellers and so far one has arrived with this lovely note on it.

I went aboot making myself a panel sized flood light from 5m led strip.

and a switched power supply

This is the worst module I have; two longitudinal cracks on the upper pane, one lateral crack on the rear, a fractured edge, scratches and internally wicked moisture. I shall call you guinea pig!

I cleaned it with window gubbins, probably a bad idea as more liquid will wick in, dried it with a lint present towel, scraped it with a razor blade in a set of channel locks and ran a bead of Chinagoop over the cracks.

Fired up my flood.

VOC 2.2V under the UV..okay that's working..put the kettle on...

after an hour the glue was still wet,  Sad

So I dropped the flood to 4 inches over the panel and the VOC rose to 5.5V

more hours and still not set so I googled it and noticed the wavelength I'm using might be a bit feeble....

The Mk-III has a white reflective backing, white paper surround skirts, a properer PSU, and I'm over-driving the LEDs 2V

VOC 7V ....err maybe I'm doing something right...if it's not cured in the morning I'll splash out ona better solution.  Undecided

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:35:31 AM by Scruff » Logged
rogeriko

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »

Oh how I wish I had time to tinker around with all my projects  wackoold wackoold

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: