navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 87471 times)
roys

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »

As someone once told me "the two happiest days of my life is the day I bought my boat and the day I sold it"
camillitech

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »

it's not 'raw water' cooled is it

Yurp.

facepalm

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Tombo

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:08 AM »

That boat has made me remember bits of my misspent youth *shudder*

Can anyone else hear the sound of the engine spinning over when you see the photos?  Out beyond the bar when the engine spluttered and stopped; when attempting to restart I can distinctly hear the sound of the engine note dropping as the batteries begin to die, I suspect damp HT, but unbeknown to me the engines cooked due to a used sanitary towel in the works (raw sewage cooled around here)
I'm frantically cleaning the leads and cap because we are drifting around the headland. 
Not yet fully panicked, I'm Wishing that I had never borrowed the boat.

camillitech

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »

That boat has made me remember bits of my misspent youth *shudder*

Can anyone else hear the sound of the engine spinning over when you see the photos? 

Or hear the sound of it suddenly stopping after you threw a bucket of sea water into the bilge to clean it without realizing the air intake was open  banghead It ran OK with the bent con rod for years too, that's the old BMC 1.5 diesel for you  hysteria

I salvaged this boat from 18m of water and spent two years refurbishing it, I was so proud the day I first put to sea in it.

My son spent his early youth out working with me.

Happy dayz but never as happy as the day I sold it  Grin

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

Mine neyes,twitch at the mention of the 1.5 BMC diesel,
                     Going back to the 70s the tail end production of the Moris oxfords sported a few models with factory 1.5 diesels..You could not describe them as a "bit dead" but more akin to lifelless.
 Then there was a spate of conversions to diesel, The old BMC 1.5s diesels were brought back to life and installed in Hillman Hunters(not bad at all) and even an Ascona.
  Farther back, I recall a family friend who purchased an Armstrong Sidldeley Saphire in absolute beautiful condition ,with the purpose of driving it at weddings. My old Man drove weddings because he kept pretty upmarket machines but the Armstrong Siddeley Saphire was in a league all of its own. Loads of mahogany, silver, chrome, inset lights and a dash that would shame Concorde.
But it was an absolute devil on petrol. Our family friend has handy back then. He was young and serious. He later went on to found a very successful engineering works and became one of the main agents for top class machinery in this part of the world,,,,,,But back then he was learning and he had an inspiration. yes the 1.5 BMC diesels were about back then and he fitted one to the A-S-S.,
It as a very neat fit. Plenty of room, In fact you could stand under the bonnet, along side the engine.
With just himself aboard, it could get up and go and reach some 35 mph but with 6 passengers on board it saw the hills in the next glen and lay down in protest. He geared it down with a Landy box, they say but the last time I saw it, it stopped outside our shop at the foot of the hill and everyone scrambled out to walk up the hill to the wedding. He could manage the hill empty so would wait at the top and take off with the full load once again. Unsurprisingly, business dropped off.  Don,t mention the Perkins 8018 and the old Cavaliers.
                                                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:21 AM »

when I was little, probably 10 or 11 my brother had a boat with a 4.6bmc engine in it, no idea if it's related to the 1.5 ?

he bought the boat as a non runner, one of the oil ways in the head leading to the rockers had blocked.. it ended up with a broken rocker and a bent valve

head was already off it when he bought it, and one of the threads had stripped for a cylinder head bolt, drilled out by hand, helicoil fitted and it held up ok (to be fair, didn't torque that one up quite as much as the rest)

I can remember pumping away on a foot pump like mad while my brother jammed the end of a hose onto the oil way to blow it clear... and surprisingly it  worked!

a few days later I was sitting on the side of the boat, my brother sitting on the floor legs dangling down alongside the engine, he reached into the cabin, grabbed a mop and used it to shove me over the side :-(

I was already half way into the dingy when his mate jumped in to 'save' me... I had to stick an arm out and grab him, he had too much heavy gear on and was sinking fast :-s

I didn't go back to help with the boat after that... I'd spent weeks/months helping him, doing all the running around, passing tools, doing the dirty work, taking the dingy back and forth to go get him a can of pop etc. etc.    being pushed over the side left a bad taste in my mouth (in more ways that one!)

can't really blame him, he's not really a nasty person, he's just a moron :-(
camillitech

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »

Mine neyes,twitch at the mention of the 1.5 BMC diesel,
                     Going back to the 70s the tail end production of the Moris oxfords sported a few models with factory 1.5 diesels..You could not describe them as a "bit dead" but more akin to lifelless.
 Then there was a spate of conversions to diesel, The old BMC 1.5s diesels were brought back to life and installed in Hillman Hunters(not bad at all) and even an Ascona.
  Farther back, I recall a family friend who purchased an Armstrong Sidldeley Saphire in absolute beautiful condition ,with the purpose of driving it at weddings. My old Man drove weddings because he kept pretty upmarket machines but the Armstrong Siddeley Saphire was in a league all of its own. Loads of mahogany, silver, chrome, inset lights and a dash that would shame Concorde.
But it was an absolute devil on petrol. Our family friend has handy back then. He was young and serious. He later went on to found a very successful engineering works and became one of the main agents for top class machinery in this part of the world,,,,,,But back then he was learning and he had an inspiration. yes the 1.5 BMC diesels were about back then and he fitted one to the A-S-S.,
It as a very neat fit. Plenty of room, In fact you could stand under the bonnet, along side the engine.
With just himself aboard, it could get up and go and reach some 35 mph but with 6 passengers on board it saw the hills in the next glen and lay down in protest. He geared it down with a Landy box, they say but the last time I saw it, it stopped outside our shop at the foot of the hill and everyone scrambled out to walk up the hill to the wedding. He could manage the hill empty so would wait at the top and take off with the full load once again. Unsurprisingly, business dropped off.  Don,t mention the Perkins 8018 and the old Cavaliers.
                                                                                              Biff

hysteria  hysteria  Aye Biff, the trusty BMC 1.5D a full 28HP and 6 knots hysteria mind you it only used about a gallon a day and ran for several years with a bent con rod.

Cheers, Paul

Countrypaul

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »

You could try switching the socket off  hysteria
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »

More good stuff Scruff, fingers crossed!
                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2017, 06:30:25 AM »

Another good read Scruff with plenty of luvverly piccies  genuflect

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »

Interesting stuff Scruff,
                 You have a great selection of goodies as well as ideas, It is proper educational, fingers crossed!
                                                         Biff

camillitech

« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »

Much nicer than my flattened 15mm copper pipe ones Scruff  genuflect Have one of those Mickey Mouse ones on me Land Rover, where efficiency isn't my prime concern. Never been able to work out what thread they are, if you ever loose a nut you'll struggle finding one, at least I did.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »

Those are works of art Scruff,
                           It would be a big sin to burr the nuts of damage the head of the screws with an old screw driver
   They are very neat. I am going to put some kind of covers over my flattened copper pipes facepalm.
Where do you get that flat copper bar,?
                                                Biff

camillitech

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »

Gosh, that motorized switch looks mean  genuflect Must admit to being guilty of using a lot of stainless steel Scruff, but only when I can at make least some of the conducters 'face to face' I know it's not ideal but I've hunners of Stainless fastners and not much in the way of brass.

OK, almost all are 'face to face'  Lips Sealed I have to say I've always been ashamed of that 'temporary' solution, I've had some humungous bus bars for almost a year now to replace that abortion but just not got around to it yet  facepalm

This, I can live with, unless Scruff tells me otherwise  Grin

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »

Do the apprentice volt combi and the Eltec 60A offer parallel redundancy? I'm slightly looking and not sure.

(I just prefer bar (my battery links are 50mm˛ shrink wrapped aluminium) with 'stanless' hardware.)

Hmm, wotcha reckon, Stan? Wink

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: