navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 61697 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »

Interesting stuff Scruff,
                 You have a great selection of goodies as well as ideas, It is proper educational, fingers crossed!
                                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »

I think I have a switchgear problem Biffer, anna predelection for copper.
It's gotten so bad I've lost all interest in alcohol!  Undecided   
Scruff

« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2017, 10:40:05 PM »

I hadta delete my busbars...they upset me too much. After very light use the zinc plating on my cheapo hardware had mostly evaporated, the through drilled holes were a liability inna soon to be eltrixically packed and earthed enclosure and the protruding cover mounts being bus potential was all too much. We can do better!... fight

This time I remembered not to drill the bolt holes bigger than the taps.  Roll Eyes

Behold Scruff Nation's new 400A Bus Bars!
(accompanied by a lite, 100A off the shelf jobbie for another 12V drop)

3mm x 25mm Copper Flatbar
5 x M8 Studs facilitating up to 50mm˛ lugs side by side.
2 x M6 Studs facilitating up to 35mm˛ lugs side by side.
4 x M6 Studs facilitating Yellow M6 Crimps
Brass Bolts, Washers and Nuts
Phosphur Bronze Spring Washers
Stainless Steel Insulator Domed Bolts.
SM 30, 30mm M8 Bus Insulators

G'wan just one more pic then...

faint
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:51:37 PM by Scruff » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »

Much nicer than my flattened 15mm copper pipe ones Scruff  genuflect Have one of those Mickey Mouse ones on me Land Rover, where efficiency isn't my prime concern. Never been able to work out what thread they are, if you ever loose a nut you'll struggle finding one, at least I did.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »

Those are works of art Scruff,
                           It would be a big sin to burr the nuts of damage the head of the screws with an old screw driver
   They are very neat. I am going to put some kind of covers over my flattened copper pipes facepalm.
Where do you get that flat copper bar,?
                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Scruff

« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »

Much nicer than my flattened 15mm copper pipe ones Scruff  genuflect Have one of those Mickey Mouse ones on me Land Rover, where efficiency isn't my prime concern. Never been able to work out what thread they are, if you ever loose a nut you'll struggle finding one, at least I did.

The saving grace of the Mickey Mouse ones are they're tinned. But all the hardware is stainless so higher resistance. They're some sortov old money fraction thing Paul.

I am going to put some kind of covers over my flattened copper pipes facepalm.
Where do you get that flat copper bar,?

Flat Bar

Yurp mine are getting acrylic covers, which is pretty easy shape with a heat gun and they'll be living in an enclosure.

I have to say they're very practical too! Seeing as they're fused at 150A every take off will need it's own bus bar or 35mm˛ cable or fuse too... whistlie
Psah you can't buy stuff that good, worked out much cheaper to make than to buy Mini Mouse 300A jobs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:57:51 AM by Scruff » Logged
Scruff

« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2017, 12:55:16 AM »

48v batt is finally presentable.

Work is under-way on the automatic E-disconnect so far it's manual.  Grin

Which meant I rerouted my 12V battery through this so L to R it's +12V, Common 0V, + 48V.

Fitted my Soldering Station with a 24VAC BNC out.

I call it the Sine Whisperer!

Delay on relay getting fitted to the photo-relay to eliminate relay chatter. Works a treat, set to 40 second off hold.

The lazy way to ensure the total series distance of parallel links are the same resistance.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:58:12 AM by Scruff » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2017, 07:29:36 AM »

Gosh, that motorized switch looks mean  genuflect Must admit to being guilty of using a lot of stainless steel Scruff, but only when I can at make least some of the conducters 'face to face' I know it's not ideal but I've hunners of Stainless fastners and not much in the way of brass.

OK, almost all are 'face to face'  Lips Sealed I have to say I've always been ashamed of that 'temporary' solution, I've had some humungous bus bars for almost a year now to replace that abortion but just not got around to it yet  facepalm

This, I can live with, unless Scruff tells me otherwise  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »

Gosh, that motorized switch looks mean

Yurp dunt it just exude street cred! Sound for sending it my way Paul.. genuflect..free schematics for life* in return!
*subject to user correction and discretion! User accepts all liability!

I'm gonna build an acrylic shield for it later when I'm done spannering it. At the moment the 48V system is having a rest.

This is the direction I'm headed but that's an unfinished schematic, subject to correction and amendment.

Must admit to being guilty of using a lot of stainless steel Scruff, but only when I can at make least some of the conducters 'face to face' I know it's not ideal but I've hunners of Stainless fastners and not much in the way of brass.

Stainless is cheaper and inert. Even brass will oxidise...but not electrolysis like zinc. Nickel or tin plated anything works quite well. Stainless is fine when all the terminations are face to face and all washers and hardware on the offside.

I have to say I've always been ashamed of that 'temporary' solution,

Nothing wrong with that Paul..I've seen far far worse abortions esteemed as trophies.  wackoold

I just prefer bar (my battery links are 50mm˛ shrink wrapped aluminium) with stanless hardware.

This, I can live with, unless Scruff tells me otherwise  Grin

You do good work Paul. That's all tickety boo as far as I'm concerned.
Vaselin on the terminals is a subjective preference. Some people prefer washing vaseline off their spanners and fingers others prefer washing krudd off their battery terminals.
I'm more of a krudd fancier...at least it's dry.  ralph
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:45:47 PM by Scruff » Logged
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »

Do the apprentice volt combi and the Eltec 60A offer parallel redundancy? I'm slightly looking and not sure.

(I just prefer bar (my battery links are 50mm˛ shrink wrapped aluminium) with 'stanless' hardware.)

Hmm, wotcha reckon, Stan? Wink

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Scruff

« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2017, 08:30:33 AM »

Too early and not enough coffee for that gag...
Hadta read it 3 times before I gorrit...

In terms of chargers, PV is the primary, the Eltec (20A)/TriStar PWM is the secondary, and it's a toss up between the currently comatose Studer XTH and the ApprenticeVolt for third place.

The ApprenticeVolt is the primary inverter.

Working on 48V distro....

...this was the Mk I layout..

Oh I think I'm on Mk IV now... bike
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »

That would give me massive satisfaction Scruff,
                          Building that, Especially, If I knew what I was doing, In the near future, I plan to have some kind of fail safe dump load relay that will activate the big resistors in my Wind turbine controller if the DHWT immersions fails,It is working perfect at the moment but has been working in peaty water for the past 4 to 5 years.
 I envisage some kind of 145vdc current sensor on the 138vdc immersion live that would activate these big resistors and then Keep the turbine under control. It is something that I had always planned to do but last week,s little hickup ,gave me a kind of a boost to get it done.
                                                          Biff
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:50:49 AM by biff » Logged

Scruff

« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »

Yurp, I'm a big fan of redundancy Biffer...

Mk....VI?
kibi

« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »

This all looks rather good Scruff.
You're going to get me started on something with all this carry on........

Oh, no, look what you made me do!!

I found them I while ago, but I had to hunt for them since moving house. I have also got some long strips too. Mmmm.
A better DC box is becoming necessary as well as a separate comms. box since my current situation is becoming annoying.
What I have is a good start I think and you are giving me much inspiration.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:51 PM »

Im a big fan of retirement Scruff, Grin
                 But still I wish i could produce art like that.
                                               Biff

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: