navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 51165 times)
Scruff

« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »

Works for androids too. smapple...  whistlie
Scruff

« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »

That deployable system got deployed.

and upgraded

Scruff

« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »

The bumblebee is now sporting a pewter power products 120A B2B.

Bittova rip off this unit

500 for this shyte?

soo cheap and nasty inside.. vomit2

TK electrolytics...some of the worst, no silastic just hot snot, super-glued/epoxy semi-conductors, underwired ground, came with a preinstalled rattle from factory, zero cable stress relief, cheap noisey fans..

We'll see how she performs onna road test, I'm not expecting a lot...

This is what it's got to beat..

In other news after 4 months calibration, my smartgauge is almost as accurate as my Ah counter

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:34:27 PM by Scruff » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2018, 12:17:53 PM »

I do love 'crinkly tin'  genuflect

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Scruff

« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »

Got my hallmark all over it Paul, cheap, abundant, available at the time and good enuf fer the girls I go out with.
Scruff

« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

O course I only paid 50 + shipping fer that Sterling job becoze I know better.

Last owner said it was broken..."doesn't finish charging"

Most people I know don't drive for as long as a 3 stage charger operates for...

Tested

working

...still janky

Scruff

« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »

Well..err...slight delay...

I fried that B2B installing it live.  facepalm

After some R&R she's come right again.

I've only replaced the 8 dead FETs (including the washers) outtov a 14 FET bank, 6 lived I decided not to fix it until it's broken..

Jonesy serz I should fix it better... fight  whistlie

looks like a trap...smells like a trap...ain't broken right now...

Commencing Testing!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:38:42 PM by Scruff » Logged
jonesy

« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »

After some R&R she's come right again.
Rogering and Re-engineering
Jonesy serz I should fix it better... fight  whistlie
Clever bloke that Jonesy. You should probably listen to him a bit more.  Grin
Nice looking repair given the space you were working in. Looks like the company bought a job lot of tiny cases then decided to put something really complicated inside.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Scruff

« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »

Clever bloke that Jonesy.

So clever I think it slows him down sometimes.... whistlie

I did listen a little, some minor rework to vanquish dry joints and I even preheated the board (heat sinks) in a cold workshop  snow

put something really complicated inside.

They're purported to be the dogs danglies in terms of spilt charge and essential for Euro 5 & Euro 6 regen alternator braking vessels.
I don't think it can beat a dedicated alternator. It definitely can't beat linked twins.

It was built as cheaply as possible, it performs admirably but who knows for how long with those sketchy electrolytics (they use CapXon (joint worst brand) in their ProCharge Ultras).

My theory seems correct.
Most of the increased performance claimed from fitting a battery to battery charger is due to the cabling upgrade required to support it.
This alone nets 5>7 times an increase in split charge current over a proper contactor.

The Battery to Battery Charger is effectively double the best I can do (without destroying serpentine belts) thanks to it's 14.8V+ volt output regulation and it's more aggressive absorption profile.
The thing is an Albright SW80 (magnetic latching) costs peanuts compared to a 120A DC - DC Charger.

If I could live with a 50A "current limit" and I wanted a posh wan, I'd get a REDDARC BCDC1250

Funny thing about this 120A unit is I can't seem to get more than ~80A Continuous outtov it.. Huh It flashes higher on startup....maybe they're hiding under the 50% SOC belt or maybe they got lost somewhere. I've derated the box to 1200W continuous because the rest of my power plant is 100% duty capable and I didn't have any Special Snowflake Awards left after that last batch of Victrons swept through the place. 120A is the input rating..  Kiss

I'm pretty satisfied with the SmartGauge testing that it's ~100% accurate but displays 10% below reality consistently for whatever reason Merlin had which is probably why Gibbo is such a grump. I feel cheated too..

I have a second SmartGauge..if I get really bored I'll swap them to verify the theory.
The upshot is my Ah counter takes about 10 days to drift to the inaccuracy of the SmartGauge after which SmartGauge and tail current are the more accurate indicators.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:56:41 PM by Scruff » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: