navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grid Hopping  (Read 89219 times)
jonesy

« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »

They're purported to be the dogs danglies in terms of spilt charge and essential for Euro 5 & Euro 6 regen alternator braking vessels.
I don't think it can beat a dedicated alternator. It definitely can't beat linked twins.
It may provide good charging, but at what cost?  If you assume it's 70% efficient stepping up the battery voltage, that means the input current is ~50% more (I think)
That makes a (2nd) alternator direct to battery a better bet as it will have less mechanical load on the belt for the same charge power via the B2B

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
knighty

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »

Scruff.... I think I love you :-o

I'm forever telling people not to bother with split charge relays or battery to battery chargers and to fit a big solenoid between their batteries instead, set to power up when the engine runs   (easier on older stuff when you can wire to alternator warning light circuit)   they're only doing low power stuff in hobby use camper vans or work vans with an extra battery to power some lights

and I'm forever being shot down for saying that :-(
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »

Grin Grin Grin,
       Sorry Scruff, You are too late. I done away with directy drivey and went 4rib belt and pulleys, Got a decent result.
   Then went key start Lifan 6.5 horse  with lovely sweet Beemer 180amp alt...Oooooooo.. Eeee |Ba Gum you will have bother knocking the socks of this baby Scruff.
     It runs Grinders on full power ticking over, starts with a little half pull under load and when I am cutting steel with it, It does not even break a sweat on quarter revs.
 Alt is N47, so its really good and 2kw would be no bother to it. It has twin internal fans. I am thinking of moving out to the shed and sleeping next to it. but it is dam,d windy tonight.
                                 Biff
  Err Forgot to add, I will be fitting it with the Ghass conversion kit. It is supposed to be the cleanest of all bar RE.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:15:01 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »

Oh Scruff, That brings me back to my school days,
                        We had serious competitions as to who could pee the farthest up the wall. However it is not the kind of competition one can hold now in our senior years..(crikeee look what i wrote)
   I have a pair Symmetra RMs that belt out 4.5kw each and a 2 ton forklift Bank that would have a lot of difficult finding it way to your baffroom. They are rather static you know.
  I am wary, You probably have challenged half of the electricians forum to electrical duels and won every time. I am a mere Novice who just happened to turn up on my day off.
                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »

Ok this is getting out of hand.
  My Dad is a 109 years old in April beat that.
       Biff

camillitech

« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2019, 06:14:34 AM »

Anderson socket I believe  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »

hysteria
             Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2019, 02:51:25 AM »

Grin garden pure mad excellence

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »

Looks Impressive Scruff.
  Lots of happy hours Grin
            Biff

Tombo

« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2019, 11:55:32 AM »

Awesome Scruff!
What's the speakon connector for? Blowing up bass bins?
sam_cat

Bristol, UK

« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »

Awesome Scruff!
What's the speakon connector for? Blowing up bass bins?

At a guess its a powercon, have used them for a few things (mainly DIY hifi builds)

https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/powercon/powercon-20-a

TT

« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »

Looks awesome.

Can I ask what the extrusions are?
They look interesting!
Westie

« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »

Beautifully built Scruff, may I ask what the application is?

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »

Scruff,
   There is no doubt about it, You are my long lost cousin.
 I can tell by the way that you fix everything into the limited space. I just knew that I had an Identical twin cousin  somewhere  doing great things..
  If you need help to put it running correctly , well you know,, I AM ALWAYS HERE,, , You know of course  I am clueless about things that spark and shock but I can provide a great round of applause when you conquer it.
       Biff

TT

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »

all a bit worrying for those that buy from online suppliers, must admit that i buy cheapo midi fuses from aliexpress/ebay.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: