navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pressure switch... Suppliers?  (Read 10496 times)
fatbob

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »

How do expansion vessels cope with freezing?

Not sure ! Mine's in the garage but has not been through a freeze as yet.  My filters and pump are also in the garage...must get around to insulating it all like I promised myself back in spring lol  Grin Would assume as the tank has a diaphragm inside, it would flex and cope with with ice expansion ?

Can't think of a reason why the location of the expansion tank would be a problem - as long as it's in there somewhere it would maintain the pressure in the pipework as a whole ?  I'm no expert in hydraulics tho.

Rainwater enthusiast, maybe solar PV one day
dickster

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 11:43:28 AM »

Hi, I fitted a Hozelock garden pump in a box above ground which sucks from 2m deep old septic tank. Bolted a 50.00 Machine Mart pressure switch on top. No expansion vessel. Both toilet and washing machine now successfully supplied. After initial pumping, pump switches on and off again once for about 7 secs after each use. The box is well insulated and I am hoping that the 100mm ducting between tank and box will allow the warmer air warmed by the water in the tank to keep the pump from freezing up. No real frosts yet, so fingers crossed.
DonL

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 04:53:46 PM »

I've been scratching my head to remember the name of a company I used to use who made robust and sensibly priced pressure switches including low ranges. It's finally come back to me and they seem to be still trading http://www.baileymackey.com/pressure%20switches/switchintro.html
Don

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
sb79

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »

If the vessel is in an unheated area it will need insulating. I have replaced numerous vessels over the years due to frost damage, usually people just leave them in the open and then wonder why they've no water at some inconvenient time.....

Inside an insulated box or wrapped with knauf space blanket (other products are available) or even old duvets?

The pressure switch I like to use is the square d 9013 and I tee in a gauge (usually jet range one from plumb center- other makes are available) between switch and vessel.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: