navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP  (Read 2516 times)
stumpy

« on: August 02, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »

Hi all

I am finalising the design of a new house I'm building, or rather having built for me, in Kent.  Hope to start foundations (piled) in September.

I'm VERY interested in incorporating solar collectors, if feasible PV cells (grid connected), and/or a GSHP.  It's seems all rather confusing, but from what I am reading it seems more practical/economical to opt for the solar collectors (hot water), and a GSHP.  The plot has a large garden so a ground loop is possible.  But I also will have a piling rig on site for the foundations so vertical bores are also an option.

How do I get the system designed for my house?  Your 9kW pump seems to be the kiddy, but I need to understand all the other costs involved, and to make sure it all ties in with the UFH, gas boiler (presumably needed still for back-up use), water storage, solar collector etc.  I feel rather daunted at having a number of systems that aren't coordinated...

The house will be 220m2 4 bed, masonry constructed with a larger cavity for a greater quantity of insulation.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Carl
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:14:33 AM »

Have a look at our FAQ section for more detailed info on the installation of heatpumps. Also there is another page linked from the FAQ which gives you the practical low-down on the various technologies. Unfortunately, there is not a right or wrong answer, and systems can vary depending on the requirements and the prefered methods of the individual.

Ivan
stumpy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:14:35 PM »

Thanks Ivan... I think.

Might it be worthwhile (although perhaps not ethical...!) to have a system designed by someone like ICE Energy, then procure the kit through say you at a much more reasonable cost, then just find an installer willing to work on a labour only basis?

Getting the it through someone like ICE is hugely expensive.  They mentioned a figure of cú10k !!

Thanks
Carl
henry

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »

Hi Stumpy I have costed gshp from ice energy.I basically picked their brains for the same reason, they quoted 7.5 k using their compact collectors.When I looked at these and the way they operate I came to the conclusion that I could install a gound loop to run one of ivans heat pumps.I am now happy with the design of where they are going in my garden( the size of a few postage stamps). I have the collector tubes and a grid tied Pv array on the roof the next is the heat pump. Befor winter i hope. Have a look at Kensa pumps for more ideas  H  Cheesy
stumpy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 04:14:47 PM »

Thanks Henry

So you've 'pinched' ICE's design and installed the system yourself?  Marvellous.  Will this along with your PV array (details please - spec/supplier/number/size/output/cost etc etc) make you 'self-sufficient' nearly...?

Do you have a boiler as backup?

Fortunately I will have a large garden (c12m wide x 40-50m deep).  What are the differences/benefits between a 'trad' ground loop vs. collector tubes - or is this the same?!

Where abouts in the UK are you?  I'm in Kent...

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: