navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best ever MPG  (Read 11717 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: August 29, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »

Got my best ever tank today - average (according to fuelly) of 72.7MPG

A new job has meant I've been doing a 40mile daily commute for the last few weeks now, and most of it is motorway (M4, 1jctn M25, 1jctn M40). There's been relatively little traffic (I guess with the summer holidays?) and I've been pretty happy to keep the speed to 55MPH too to maximise economy. Who wants to rush to work anyway?!

Not bad for a 13 year old car with 153k on the clock!  Yes it's an oil burner, but that's still way better than most modern cars can manage, even the hybrids.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

Me too 2004 VW estate 1.9TDI  same engine as the audi. 177,000 on the clock average 65mpg. Only mine runs on 100% biodiesel, havn't been to a gas station in 2 years!!  Fantastic cars way before their time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:59:04 PM by rogeriko » Logged

going green

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:52:05 AM »

picking up my VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI next week will do more miles per gallon then our old ford
Quakered

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »

Got 42 mpg on a long journey yesterday but draw comfort that I did far less damage to the environment by driving a modern petrol car rather than shortening the lives of children and the elderly by the vile polution churned out by cars running the the devil's fuel ( particularly the old bangers!)

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford

3.2kw PV and Tesla Powerwall
Jaguar I Pace
oliver90owner

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »

My little oil burner can record around 65mpg, but unfortunately the speedo is a tad optimistic, reducing the real world result by about 5%.  Fuel top-ups and speedo readings usually give around 60 mpg results, but it does vary, dependent on my right foot and the load carried.
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »

Got 42 mpg on a long journey yesterday but draw comfort that I did far less damage to the environment by driving a modern petrol car rather than shortening the lives of children and the elderly by the vile polution churned out by cars running the the devil's fuel ( particularly the old bangers!)

Your not a fan of diesel then Patrick  Grin I must admit that the 'spark' has gone out of my 30 year old love affair with diesel. Modern oil burners are far too complex to make them meet EU targets, the parameters of which make them actually MORE polluting in 'real world' driving conditions. Still drive a 29 year old 'oiler' meself right right enough but for a working, towing, winching tool you can't beat a 'real diesel'. Mine is over two tons and can still return 30MPG, hardly a commuter vehicle but then it's that feckin windy here the particles are well dispersed before they land on Oslo.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »

I get just under 40mpg,
                  From my 2001 Suzuki Vitara. It has got just 137,000 on the clock and ticks all the boxs for me. It has the Peugeot 2ltr hdi engine which was a very attractive proposition. It is very comfortable and drives nothing like a 4 x 4. I only do about 4,000 miles a year. The Suzuki starts first time every time and it is quiet and smooth.
 In 2010, we bought a diesel Kia Rio 1.5. The Rio has no trouble returning over 55 to the gallon and has surprising performance for such a solid built car. My wife drives it everywhere and it is the one that clocks up the big miles. It came with a 7 year warranty, 5 years for parts and labour and 2 years for parts only.
 I was never a fan of German Diesels, VW and Merc go back many generations in my family, I myself used to drive Diesel Audis, The 5 cylinder ones.
 My favourite diesel was the 2.5 Citroen and the 1.9 ZXs, They were never fussy,they just got on with the job and returned great miles to the gallon, My kids spent their university days driving ZXs. There never was a more practical bulletproof car.
  I remember the early secrecy of the VW and audi injector pumps, the bleeder nut on the pump that was not a bleeder but a nut specially designed so that the unwary DIY volunteer would give it a few turns and made mush of the inside of the pump. Modern VWs make a fortune on silly little knick knacks in their cars that the old VW makers would have been disgusted with.
 Merc trucks deliberately built faults into their transmission gear, to prevent overloading. One was that the rear axle studs carried the weight and not the flange in the hub. I saw the results of this many times and back in 67/68 the repair bill was 300.00 to get back on the road. The Merc official who oversaw the guarantee claims had to have very thick skins back them. All that , did not stop my son from buying an E Class with an annual road tax bill of 1600 euros. Like my old man,who drove American V8 during petrol rationing he likes the big engine, At the moment he drives a V12 Hemi and calls it the "shed on wheels". It is petrol and does 6 miles to the gallon. He tells me this with great gusto, My last set of wheels was a 998cc fiat Potholer.
 So what happened folks.? I got caught between men who liked big engines in big cars. Even my nephew drives the biggest Bmw beemer known to mankind. How did this come about.?
 It is 12 midnight and my son just gets back from work, He is in the pool with my grandson, They move from the pool into the house and the AC is working overtime. It has never been as hot as this. The only people moving outside are the Mexican gardeners, I spoil it any time I mentions the big engines and the misuse of the oil. But he is cheery and it is water off a ducks back.
 "Any word of you coming home son"  I say,,,,,,,   I should not ask, I already know the answer.
                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »

@dan_b  very impressive mpg.

I last had a petrol car in 1990 pretty much exactly 25 years ago and have driven diesels ever since; currently an 11 year old VW TDI Touran. I tend to get around 52 miles per gallon. Like many here I suspect I was smug (not sure if  that is the right word) and felt that the environmental efficiency was better than petrol cars. It is very worrying that in real life the emissions are nowhere near as good as promised.  It is going at the end of September and being replaced by probably a BMW i3. Will be a bit of a change for me having a BMW but it is a genuinely renewable car; BMW have gone to great lengths to design an electric car from scratch and use renewable energy in the manufacturing process. I have an extended test drive next week and will start a new thread.

@Biff
Cars are a strange thing and some people find them addictive. The US seems to have gone totally mad since I lived there when Carter was president. I'm glad I stayed on this side of the Atlantic

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »

If I could afford it, I'd buy an i3 tomorrow. Until then, I'll save up and keep the A2. 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »

Yes I am fortunate enough to have a large retirement lump sum coming into my account next month.

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »

I shall ride a 5 mile round trip along the riverside path to the pub for Sunday lunch today. That will involve a pleasant roast dinner and 4 pints of ale. It's only 10miles to the gallon, but it does improve my quality of life and does little harm to the environment.  Grin

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
spaces

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 11:07:17 PM »

Yes, diesel has nasty emissions but then so has petrol (and EVs, effectively burning coal, gas and nuke) and as to whether driving a newish car is somehow better for the environment, that's an entire debate in itself.

I'd say choose the right vehicle for the purpose. Modern diesels are more toxic regarding their exhaust emissions than those from the 90s. The soot particles are made so small by the super-high-pressures that they pass through the lung lining and can enter the bloodstream, rather than us coughing every now and then which is what happens with 'old fashioned' ones. It's why the EU is going to phase them out afap, but they don't tell us how poisonous the new tech has made the exhaust gas.

I manage 45mpg day in day out burning used veg oil in an ancient Mercedes estate with a comfort and refinement modern cars have long forgotten. I struggle to do much worse than 60mpg with VW group TDis, but the sweetest diesel ever has to be the Peugoet-Citroen 1.9, as in 405s and the like.

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
brackwell

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »

This at the top of the page,

"navitron -Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum"

Any mpg is to many gallons.
Bodidly

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »

This at the top of the page,

"navitron -Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum"

Any mpg is to many gallons.

Spot on

Did one of those carbon footprint calculators and was very surprised to see 8000 miles a year in car doing 50mpg was worse than all our other activities put together.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:51:51 AM by Bodidly » Logged
phoooby

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »

Yes, diesel has nasty emissions but then so has petrol (and EVs, effectively burning coal, gas and nuke)

I didn't realise my Leaf was fussy about where its electrons came from. I was under the impression it also worked just as well with ones generated by solar and wind ?.

8k miles in my leaf will be about 1850 kWh so on 100% coal (which is not really representative of the uk or any national grid) that would be 1850kg of carbon. I usually charge overnight even though I don't use E7 and grid carbon quite often reduces below 350g/kWh.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: