navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best ever MPG  (Read 7683 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »

We have had an old  pug partner van for the last 14 years it just chugs along. Too busy avoiding French drivers to practice advanced driving technics to save fuel, but don't go over 90 kmh. Simple engine,  the air con involves winding down the window! No electronics. Agree with Paul, continually being overtaken on blind corners, up hills with no visibility, this is France at the next junction there they are in front.
Having gained nout.  hysteria
camillitech

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »

If you're intentions are to have something which has a minimal impact on our planet, goes well, looks smart and is comfy and practical, buy an Audi 80 for 1500 - at that price you should land a car which puts cars a quarter of the age to shame. Simple, tough, economical and very long-lasting on a minimal input. I struggle to see the case for anything 'better' unless you cover vast mileage or peer pressure really matters - or there's a need to 'feel you're worth it', as Martin may have said.

Agree 100% Spaces, I regretted selling the old 1.9TDI estate but it was awfully heavy on front tyres (a set a year of quality ones) and it was pure carp in the snow. The tyres I could have lived with but the lack of traction on our ten mile single track road in the winter was quite frightening, even on winter tyres. They're just too 'long legged' and heavy for Raasay roads. Still can't help feeling a pang of regret every time I see a nice one on the road though.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
spaces

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2015, 05:45:37 PM »

Know what you mean about the lack of traction, the engine and 'box are set relatively far back, more suspension travel than many moderns makes up for it. A bit heavy, I agree - but what isn't, today? I've strung a couple of 56lb weights low down in the front of the engine bay when the snow's bad (we're surrounded by steep hills) which transformed the traction. Winter tyres always, too.

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
Barrie

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »

I guess many members have moved on motor wise since this topic was last used, I'm on my 5th Insignia with each one being more economical than the last.

Unfortunately the same can't be said about the CO2 emissions and power/torque outputs of the latest 1.6CDTi Ecoflex compared to the previous 2.0 model which have both gone backwards in the 2017 Grandsport version, even though it is 150kg lighter. Nevermind, I've found a three year old 12,000 mile Techline which means I'm still paying no road tax whilst giving 61mpg keeping up with motorway third lane traffic, only reducing slightly with local running around before and since a trip to Liverpool. Having said that, two stints of twenty miles at 52mph will do wonders for anybody's average consumption.

Perhaps I ought to have it chipped.....

Milton Keynes
fourfootfarm

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »

Don't use my car much now, but got 65mpg+ out of it wallowing up and down the M1 (2l Mondeo estate)

Now I get about 10 mpc (miles per cake) out of my bicycles prime mover.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
camillitech

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:59 PM »

Still driving the same 1986 Land Rover I was when I joined  this forum a gazillion years ago and 'what the feck' it still does less than 30MPG. Few of its parts come from Chindia and it's 'carbon footprint' was fossilized long ago.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: