navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking I should AC couple the hydro; which GTI will work?  (Read 1495 times)
marcus

« on: September 02, 2015, 11:41:48 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that I should AC couple my hydro generator to the house (off grid) inverter. Aside from reducing cable losses back to the house (120m away), I tend to use most of it's output at 230v anyway, and the current 120ishv a.c. -> 28v d.c. -> 230v a.c. route is depressingly inefficient.

As it stands the hydro usually outputs 80-150v a.c (depending on available water - but goes as low as 65v MPP when running at 50w). 26hz single phase, up to 500w (though hoping to up that to 6-700w). I would reconfigure for 3ph then rectify to D.C. for supply to GTI,  and I could increase volts by changing the gen from Delta to Wye configuration (~1.7 x ). Just to complicate the issue I'm hoping to pick up something 2nd hand as the hydro still 'owes me' for the penstock.

The only GTI I can think of that may work (?) is the Soladin 600 which I think can be pushed up to 700w but don't know if it would cope with an induction motor generator.

Do I need a GTI designed specifically for hydro or will a solar one do? (as the hydro generator has a broad MPP peak where you can adjust Amps up/volts down or vica versa by about 10% without dropping output power perceptibly, I'm hoping the MPPT algorithm for solar will work well enough.

does anyone know of any other GTI's that might work which sell 2nd hand for a good (i.e. cheap) price?

I did see an SMA 3000w GTI go for a good price nearby on that well known auction site but I think the input volts range was a bit high IIRC.

thx
m
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:29 AM »

Hi Marcus,

I've run my hydro through an SMA WB and SB in all modes, turbine, MPPT and konstant, seems to work best in turbine mode but I did run it in MPPT for a year or two and there wasn't much in it. Aurora inverters seem to work down to incredibly low voltages, not sure about anything else. As you say SMA ones are quite high, though they did do an 1100LV that accepted voltage as low as 24. Certainly the cheap Chinese ones work at that sort of voltage, Billi uses one on his turbine but I believe they're not very efficient, might be worth a try though.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:57:18 AM »

I run my system through an aurora by power one. I think the minimum voltage is 50v. Dont use a solar one as it will try to track the mppt point which won't work.  Use a wind version thats programmable.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »

there are a few of these for sale  on ebaaay.de  for about 550 gbp    , windturbine people like them cause their low voltage start 30-400volt http://www.ginlong.com/en/pro_sheet/mid/3/tid/38/id/51.html

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
marcus

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »

ok aurora is added to the list - though the cheap ones I just saw all seem to be micro-inverters which won't do 700w - unless you can parallel the inputs onto the same turbine which I doubt.

that ginlong looks good, but again is a bit pricy new and non on ukebay - will check to see what comes available on .de for shipping to uk...

of course there a quite a lot of cheap chinese GTI's on eebay but as you say the efficiency is questionable and there's the question of quality.

ho-hum I guess there are no cheap and easy options; if I have to spend 500+ then I may be better off buying an A++ freezer.

if I can get a solar type at the right price it may be worth trying if it worked acceptably for Paul - and if I get it cheap enough I can always sell it on if it doesn't work for me.

cheers folks
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »

....the mastervolt wind master has an adjustable power curve   but only up to 550 watt I think .... What off grid inverter do u have ?  

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
marcus

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »

almost afraid to admit it on this forum but my inverter is a (whispers) powerjack LF
DaveSnafu

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »

The first major thing would be to follow oztules thread on afore mentioned inverter on another forum (ok mods ?) and modify the powerjack for (much) lower standby current draw, may be worth a fridge by itself. you can drop it from 150-200w to around 15-30watts just by doing that, gotta be worth a couple of ++ in itself.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
marcus

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »

I actually bought the PJ after reading Oztules threads - and as it turned out I didn't need to mod mine as it was supplied from the factory with ferrites inserted into the transformer lines; idle draw is ~ 22W.
DaveSnafu

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »

Nice one, looks like PJ also read oztules, they look like very good value for what they are, 22w is right up there with outback/victron/studer/zantrex, for a fraction of cost.
As regards your original post, there are some very cheap grid ties on the famous auction site at the moment, search "used".

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: