navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED Bulbs  (Read 8850 times)
Sprinter

« on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:54 PM »

I am not sure where to put this so I guess general is as good as any place.

I have recently bought some E14 sized screw in LED Bulbs, as we want to start cutting down our evening energy consumption, and as the front room lights are on all evening it seemed like the obvious place to start.

We have 3 wall mounted lights all running from a single switch, throw the switch and all three turn on, now originally we had a dimmer switch, the bulbs are marked as dim able, I replaced the bulbs but they did not work, placed them in a bedside light and they do work so I assumed it was my not so old dimmer switch.

Today I replaced the switch with a non dimmer simple rocker switch and put the LEDs back in, however they are still not working which is disappointing, I put the halogens back in and everything is fine.

So knowing very little about theses things I thought I would ask for some advice, has anyone else had problems with LEDs, to be honest I am a little disappointed as I was under the impression that they were plug and play (other than the dimmer switch which I was aware of)

Thanks
Paul
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »

Hi Sprinter,
                I recntly moved house and replaced some G4 10 watt halogens with 1.2 watt LED's (phillips). The first one I put in flickered and flashed so was a bit disapointed. I tried it in another fitting on the same circuit and it was fine. The first one had a dodgy loose connection.

If you have a loose connection and the current for the LED's is a lot lower it may not have enough current to overcome the poor contact. On some switches/contacts a minimum current is required to start the flow called something like whetting current. Some railway connectors and switches need 50 mA +.

Could you just put one LED in and leave the other bulbs in ? This should rule out the switch/wiring.

Regards Richard

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
going green

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »

sounds like the fittings on the wall get the new led and the old bulb and see if there is a difference at the end it may be that they are not going in far enough 
Sprinter

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »

I have tried with 1, 2 or all three of the LED bulbs with and without the halogens so I can rule that out, I have measured the length of the screw fitting and they seem to be the same, however I have just rechecked the lamps, there is an insert that is quite high, when screwing the halogens in I can manage 6 half turns until the bulb hits home, with the LEDs I can only screw them in for 4 half turns.

So I think I will need some thinner profile bulbs, will let you know how I get on
Ivan

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:23 AM »

Is the contact in the light fitting a brass spring of some sort, which could be bent out - so it makes contact sooner? (Make sure you turn power OFF before poking your finger or screwdriver in the hole!).

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »

LED blubs are definitely the way to go.
 Last month or so ago, I replaced most of my CFL 'curlies' with LED lamps from TLC (No connection).
I've just read the meters to feed info into the Scottish power website. Great joy fills my heart, as I find that my month on month power use dropped from 4.75kWh per day when the electric kettle exploded, to 4.2kWh per day using a gas-top kettle.
Slight elation experienced on finding that after 1 month of LED lighting, I am now using 4.1kWh per day.
After the catastrophic failure of my old netbox last week, ( facepalm ) I had a new confuser built. The previous one was 12+ yrs old and loved it's electricity.
The new one runs a lot cooler, so I need to wear a sweatshirt when using it.  snow
Next month's target is to get under 4kWh per day.  fingers crossed!
If I ever get my PV done...
N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Sprinter

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »

So this is where I admit to an act of stupidity Smiley

I made sure that I bought E14 bulbs but they was not candle sized, I used them in the bedside lights and bought more today, which were candle type and worked perfectly.

However, I'm quite impressed that were down to 350 watts at the moment with the lights and telly on in the front room, our consumption is reducing, I am targeting the lights that are used the most first for LED changeover, we also bought a new LED telly, when it's all put together it makes a big difference, although when combined they don't match our single biggest saving (waved goodbye to my daughter who has gone to Uni, that saved a fortune in electric and diesel)

My goal will be frowned upon by some though, I'm trying to reduce it enough to to make a small evening only battery pack viable, my thinking it it only really needs to supply us from sundown to midnight before we go onto cheap rate, then recharge the next day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: