navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finaly... some sense found ....  (Read 1247 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »

Western Power, the state-owned company that operates the grid in the south-west corner of Western Australia, is looking to take small communities completely off grid so that it can save money on costly network upgrades and extensions.

http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/western-australia-to-take-small-communities-off-grid-with-solar-plus-storage_100021343/#axzz3ngDTTxWn

I was walking  to a remote lighthouse here on Sheep's Head (South West Ireland) earlier this year ....

..... could not believe that they just installed a new powerline and poles to that little energy user ....

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
freddyuk

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »

Probably won't survive the winter!
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »

.... hysteria  

The character of the light is 3 flashes every 15 seconds. The light is white through the arc 017 to 212. A red sector through the arc 007 to 017 warns mariners of the submerged South Bullig rocks, off Three Castle Head to the south.

The source of light is a 100 Volt 150 Watt electric lamp. The light shines through a 800mm dioptric drum lens which gives a light intensity of 59,000 candelas in the white sector, with a reduced intensity of 15,000 candelas in the red sector because of the red filters. This provides a nominal range of 18 miles in the white sector and 15 miles in the red sector.

http://www.cil.ie/safety-navigation/our-lighthouses/sheeps-head.aspx

wow  i guess then under  4 kWh per night  ....

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:37:37 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
M

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »

Billi ....... I could kiss you!

I've spent the week arguing with a fantasist on a MSE thread, who claims PV and storage won't work, even in Australia. It's taken me all week to convince him that the UK grid doesn't 'only' cost 10p/day as he was only considering National Grid and transmission charges, whilst not aware of the 20p+ distribution costs. His argument is that the grid is simply too cheap to warrant off-grid storage, even in Australia.

Anyways, whilst discussing industrial scale storage costs he said (made up) that these would be 80/MWh or worse, I referred to some posts of yours giving details of a 62kWh battery and a 25kWh battery with costs of around 3.5p to 4p/kWh ...... he said this probably wasn't true ....... not sure if he was calling me (or you) a liar.

So you can imagine my face when I saw this article, on this subject, and posted by you  genuflect genuflect extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy genuflect genuflect

(Kisses on a collection basis only, delivery costs will be too much.)

Mart.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:33:16 PM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked,
           WOW!  Your lucky day Billi, fingers crossed!
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »

Cheesy    Hey Mart .... one more  http://onestepoffthegrid.com.au/western-power-to-take-small-communities-off-grid-with-solar-plus-storage/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: