navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turning a disaster into a water harvesting opportunity.  (Read 48014 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »

Nice one
Andy_WSM

« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »

Great to see it all finished. What an awesome job, virtually unlimited free water, a householders dream Smiley

North Somerset. 3.92KWp SE facing PV system.

derekmt

« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »

If I had not attempted the repair during the last very dry summer I dread to think how much bigger the hole would have been now and with the current record height of the water table I don't know if it would have even been possible to fix. ...

All good epics need a bit of luck. The story should be worth a few beers down the pub. However, because truth is stranger than fiction anyone hearing it will write it off as a tall tale, until you show the pictures on your phone Smiley
Other-Power

« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »

If I had not attempted the repair during the last very dry summer I dread to think how much bigger the hole would have been now and with the current record height of the water table I don't know if it would have even been possible to fix. ...

All good epics need a bit of luck. The story should be worth a few beers down the pub. However, because truth is stranger than fiction anyone hearing it will write it off as a tall tale, until you show the pictures on your phone Smiley

Agreed, I know I would be thinking 'no one would be that stupid to use plasterboard props.....'  Wink

Fair play though, its a pucker job.

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
solar_cambridge

« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »

Nowty - It's been a while, so any updates? Have you dared to look into the chamber when there is good rainfall upstream. I still think what you did was fantastic given the circumstances of what you found down there.  genuflect
nowty

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »

I was not going to post to this thread anymore but as someone asked !, it gave me the incentive to have a look down there in my wellies after a very powerful thunderstorm today.

Whilst the thunderstorm was in progress, probably about as much rain in as little time as I could ever expect. The flow of water through the chamber was quite something and reminded me of Niagra falls. Quite terrifying to watch but it seems to cope with no problem. I would imagine I would not have had any house left it if I had not discovered the problem.

A few hours later after when the flow had subsided I went down there in my wellies with an inpection lamp to take a closer look and see how much gravel had built up inside the catchpit. There was quite a bit of gravel but I reckon it would take the catchpit 10 years to fill up and I cleared out most of it with a small shovel in about 10 mins, shovelling it into the outgoing pipe.

There was absolutely no cracking or settlement whatsoever so I reckon the job will outlive me. One interesting this is that there is water seeping in under some pressure though one of the joins in the concrete walls so shows the water table is higher than the level in the chamber.

My water harvesting system continues to work well and has saved me over 30,000 litres (I fitted a water meter) of water in 9 months.

Earlier in the year I had to redesign the transfer pump, I had installed a submersible pump above ground for ease of access with a double check valve to keep the pump primed. This worked most of the time, but every 3 weeks or so it would somehow lose the priming and eventually failed after repeatedly running dry. I replaced the pump and fitted it under the water and I have never had any problems since.

The cheap 250w Polish pressure pump I bought has worked incredibly well and is powered from my off grid setup. In summer I pumped several thousand litres continuously on the lawn through the hosepipe over several hours without the pump getting hot. The transfer pump kept up with the hosepipe outflow too, so I had unlimited countinous water.

Another surprising thing is that all the main pre-filter into the harvesting tank and finer pressure pump filter dont even need cleaning after 9 months.

The FINAL picture ?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:16:50 PM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Tiff

« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »

Excellent job and well done, I enjoyed reading about this and its great to get an update.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

Hi Nowty,
         All is well that ends well. This was indeed a great thread and you succeeded in doing a great job where many others would have given up.
  You did give me the shivers for a while and I was genuinely worried.
         Hats off to you, fingers crossed!.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »

Yep well done Nowty, I've done a bit of underground works, for an underpinning outfit and even with all the latest equipment professionally installed (by others you understand) it still gives me the heebie jeebies. Your single-handed efforts are magnificent.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
garethpuk

« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »

A good job well done, I know some of us were a bit concerned about the props but the water coming now under pressure might explain why we were worried for you!

Anyway you've done a fantastic job  genuflect
peterfc

« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »

Hi Nowty

I have not been a member long and today i got round to reading your epic journey. Congratulation on completing such an epic repair.

Peter

gravyminer

« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2015, 12:54:10 AM »

Fair play Nowty,  that was a nasty problem.

Unstable ground always looks better when covered by a tarp or ply sheets  signofcross
and they often do piled foundations because the ground is unstable .......
Clay is kinda friendly though and more likely to fail slowly.

I have occasionally been the wrong side of the saftey box or under a digger bucket in an unsafe trench for brief periods and its not a good feeling.
Always promising myself and guardian angels that I will never do it again and get quite carried away with my 'duty of care' if I see someone else doing it.

Enjoyed the thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

gravyminer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: