navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexible hose  (Read 7783 times)
acresswell

« on: October 16, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »

Can anyone suggest a very flexible hose suitable for making the final connection between 32mm mdpe and a submersible pump?

My submersible pump has finally given up the ghost.  Yesterday evening I got home and was told that the loos weren't flushing.  It was dark and cold so I waited until this morning before going outside to lift the inspection cover.  As I did, was hit by a cloud of warm humid air.  Really warm in the tank, but there's still plenty of water, so I believe the pump has probably gone bang ( may have turned its motor winding into a kettle element!).  The mcb blows every time I turn the power back on.  Sad

I have a 32mm mdpe pipe running from the tank to the house, with an elbow inside the tank and a further bit of mdpe leading down to the pump.  The mdpe is so rigid that there is no way I can bend it enough to get the pump out.  The top of the tank is about 1m below soil level, so I can't just reach down to the elbow to undo it. 

Ultimately, this means that I'm going to have to climb down into the hole to undo the elbow and get the pump out (or pay someone to do it for me!). At the same time, I want to fit a properly flexible hose so that I can attach the pump whilst up at the surface, and so that in future I can pull the pump up without anyone having to climb down.  The inspection cover is about 600mm diameter, so I'd like a hose that will bend to <300mm diameter but would like to avoid going for a narrow bore that will restrict the water flow!

Any ideas?

Thank you

Building a new home in North Worcestershire
 see http://ecobodger.wordpress.com
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »

I've got a sub-pump for de-watering the ground down in a sump, I use three pushfit Hep2O elbows on 28mm plastic pipe to give it the flexibilty to raise and lower for maintenance. I tried some clear plastic tubing with a 3mm wall thickness at first and it worked for a while but eventually it seemed to loose its flexibility and it would kink.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
guydewdney

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 10:02:18 PM »

would an old vacuum cleaner hose work?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
gravyminer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »

radiator hose or a length of silicon hose from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Hose-90-Degree-Elbow-Reducers-Silicon-Rubber-Pipe-Coupler-Radiator-/190892513728?var=&hash=item2c721499c0:m:mEkfKIdYqYCNGc8FTHtxrAA
This stuff is really good and pretty flexible

they even do variable / reducing bends e.g. 35 mm id to 32 id

gravyminer
Mostie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »

I've got this on mine ....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/reinforced-suction-delivery-hose-green-10m/40487

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
mike7

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »

50 metres might be a bit more than you need, but I've used this sort of pipe on my rainwater harvesting and pond doings with success - not this particular supplier, tho-

http://www.draindepot.co.uk/40mm-x-50m-black-twinwall-electric-cable-duct.html

PS may not be sufficiently flexible if your tank is small.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:47:06 PM by mike7 » Logged
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

some very strong and flexible hose /pipe  for pondbuilders .... from OASE ... very strong  i know it from various  pondpumps i submerged  http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Aquatics/Oase_Heavy_Duty_Flexible_Hose_32mm_1_14_Inch_per_metre.htm    

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
acresswell

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 02:47:31 AM »

Thank you for all your suggestions

At the moment I'm veering towards the silicone radiator hose, something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Ply-Silicone-Heater-Hoses-Rubber-Coolant-Silicon-Radiator-Pipe-/190885058500?var=&hash=item7220ba1c10

The hose with 25mm internal diameter has a 33mm external diameter, which would seem to combine nicely with the 25mm o.d outlet available on a number of pumps, and the 32mm mdpe.   Do you reckon a Plasson 32mm mdpe fixing will clamp onto it tightly enough onto the radiator hose to avoid it bursting out/leaking? I'd definitely use a pipe insert...

If the silicone hose squashes a bit, so I need to wrap something round it to get a good "bite", what tape could I use?  Wondered about something like Denso, but think it'll be too squidgy and not sure if the petroleum products will upset the silicone.  I may not need any tape at all, of course... but I want to make sure I've got all the materials to hand before I get down the hole.  Only want to climb down there once!

Thank you!

Tombo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 03:23:12 AM »

I worked on a water supply for a commercial laundry years ago. They had a 150ft well with a sump pump supported from ridged steel pipe work. To remove the pump we undid a flanged elbow at the well head then winched up the pipework. We then unscrewed a section and repeated. Installing a new pump was just the reverse This had been working for the lifespan of many pumps. 
I can't see why you couldn't do the same with a length of ridged 22mm water pipe off the pump to the surface and a removal Hep20 type push fit elbow.
acresswell

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 03:59:16 AM »

The current arrangement is like this:

The red circle is an elbow, which is about 1 metre below ground level.  I can't reach it with my arms if I lie flat on the ground.  I can only see the elbow if I put my head slightly into the hole (being careful not to lean too far!).  All of the pipes and pump were installed before the finished soil level was known - the tank is about 0.5m deeper than originally expected.

If I'm right, I think Tombo is suggesting something like this:

with an elbow to bring the pipe up to ground level, then a further 2 elbows to send it back down to the pump. 
I quite like the idea of having a semi-rigid pipe going from ground level down to the pump to help me position it carefully on the bottom of the tank, but I'm a bit wary about having so many joints. I suppose two of the elbows would be easily accessible in case of leaks...

I'd probably use the Plasson type of elbow in 32mm rather than push-fit 22mm, though I do have a coil of 25mm MDPE lying around so that would be tempting!

I'm now wondering if this is what Desp was suggesting (3 elbows)... 

What does anyone else think?

Thank you!

HalcyonRichard

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »

Hi,
    That's an excellent idea Tombo. I will put it in my mental toolbox for future reference. When I had a new water supply installed there was a depth that the pipe had to be laid to avoid freezing (and an insulating circle of polystyrene fitted above the stopcock). So maybe worth thinking about an insulating cover.

PS - Are leaks likely to be a problem ? Usually small weeping can occur but it's all in the tank.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:28:52 AM by HalcyonRichard » Logged

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
gravyminer

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 12:26:24 PM »

Use stainless steel jubilee clips if you go the silicon hose route.
Use a continuous piece in the pit and bring it up onto a curved rest / shelf that you can reach, for future pump removals as it is pretty flexible.
Its probably better under pressure i.e. perfect for a submersible pump but if you are considering a foot valve and pump above ground, now or in the future, a more rigid hose might be better for suction.

I wouldn't want to try and prime a suction line if you configure it like your second diagram though ......

gravyminer
acresswell

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »

Use stainless steel jubilee clips if you go the silicon hose route.
How would I join it onto the mdpe?  jubilee clips won't work there...

I wouldn't want to try and prime a suction line if you configure it like your second diagram though ......
I agree - which is why I think it'll have to be a submersible pump again

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 07:13:17 PM »

Part of the reason I gave up using flexible pipe was that over time the jubilee clips seemed to loose their grip on the pipe, or maybe the pipe squashed too much and it all became a bit iffy and leaked. The way I have the elbows arranged means I can lift the pump out of the sump without disconnecting anything. Bear in mind rhough that I only need to lift it about 75CM  to work on it so that may not work for you.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
mike7

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »

Not sure I understand why you have such a large bore pipe to the house. Makes sense on the rainwater delivery into the tank, when you might want to collect a torrent with not much head behind it, but from the tank to the house how big a flow do you need? The hose I have for this duty is the same bore as a garden hose and just a wee bit tougher.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: