navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooked Windy Boy WB1100  (Read 2811 times)
rogeriko

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »

When you reset the sunny island it will start at 50% and when it detects the high battery voltage it will jump to 100%. All you need is the shunt to tell the sunny island what other dc power is going into the batteries and all should be OK. The wind turbine should be connected DIRECTLY to the batteries, any regulation needed would be a DC dump load connected directly to the batteries. Both these connections should be on the shunt side away from the battery side. Do not put a controller on the wind turbine directly.

woodi

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »

I've a basic diversion controller, so it will switch the dump in based on voltage. Are you saying connect the controller direct to batts, or in the line between the shunt and SI, and the Turbine directly to the batts?

8kw PV - 40x80w; 8x100w;13x300w Victron 150/70, 100/50, 100/30 MPPT; 3x Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70; Color Control GX Monitoring; 1000ah@24v traction batteries - 50 tube solar thermal - 3kw Bornay Inclin grid tie/ac coupled wind turbine - wood fuel cooking & heating.
heatherhopper

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »

I imagine that connecting of the Turbine direct to the batteries depends on the what the current configuration and coupling is (up to the defunct Windy Boy). The shunt will need to "see" all DC connections.
Whatever the DC connections you will still be left with two separate and competing battery voltage regulation regimes - the SI and the Turbine and associated dump regulation. The voltage settings can be closely matched but there will inevitably be some difference in the actual voltage measured. I can't see how you would synchronise any higher voltage phase of battery management such as equalisation although this could be done manually. DC Wind and AC Solar will end up conflicting at some point. Messy.
The BMS of the SI could be disabled (and the frequency shift control of the Sunny Boy) and all battery regulation handled by diversion controllers on the DC side.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
woodi

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:21 AM »

Currently the rectified output of the turbine is connected to the Windy Boy, which is connected to the micro grid created by the Sunny Island. PV runs through a Sunny Boy, also connected to the micro grid. The plan was to take the rectified output of the turbine to a basic DC controller, connected to the batteries and a dump. It would be the only DC generation source. My understanding was that the DC shunt / Current Sensor would allow the SI to measure additional DC current in/out of the battery and thus keep track of SOC.

8kw PV - 40x80w; 8x100w;13x300w Victron 150/70, 100/50, 100/30 MPPT; 3x Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70; Color Control GX Monitoring; 1000ah@24v traction batteries - 50 tube solar thermal - 3kw Bornay Inclin grid tie/ac coupled wind turbine - wood fuel cooking & heating.
heatherhopper

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »

Nothing wrong with the plan. The SI will happily measure the DC source via the shunt and it's SOC calculation will be fine.
The problem comes with management of the batteries. Both the SI and the DC dump controller will be doing this entirely independently of each other. Even if both float voltages are set to the same value and they are seeing the same battery voltage (not certain) and controlling to it they will not have a synchronised high voltage procedure. The SI periodically enters Boost, Full and Equalisation charge modes all designed to be at an elevated voltage. The DC dump will be working against completion of these modes since it will be trying to maintain the lower voltage by dumping on the DC side. The reverse is true but the SI would be trying to maintain a lower voltage by shifting frequency which would eventually shut down the Sunny Boy.
I suppose all the SI voltages could be set to the same as float and the Full and Equalisation modes could even be disabled but it would be far easier just to disable the SI BMS altogether and provide sufficient DC dump capability to cover both the Wind and Solar generation. In this case the SI SOC becomes quite irrelevant and I would guess would become less and less accurate anyway.
I think!

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: