navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petter Bryce injector pump failed  (Read 3563 times)
Greenbeast

« on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

I have got myself a thwaites 6000 dumper with a rebuitl petter engine on it. Unfortunately within a couple of weeks of ownership one of the bryce pumps has failed.

I have taken the side plate off and can move the bottom arm freely, it moves when the engine is cranked but no fuel comes out, whereas on the working pump i cannot move it by hand.

What is the likely cause and the best fix, could do with a simple diy repair rather than a refurb at a workshop.
I have very limited experience but it feels like maybe a seal or spring has failed
paul149

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »

Diesel pumps tend to run at stupid high pressures and you may have to go down the route of a professional rebuild even if you can source the internal parts required yourself.

Paul m.

3.5 kWp (14 x Sanyo H250E01 + SB3000TL) 225' (SW) at 35' Pitch Lat 51.30' (Bristol) Installed cost 2.63/Wp (Nov 2011) now with solarimmersion and 250L unvented dhw (Almost Zero gas input for DHW from Apr to mid Sep)
Tombo

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »

Hi GB,
       If you take the injector line off the pump, then take the valve assembly off the top of the pump, you may be able to free off the piston or valve both of which may be stuck.  Ideally I'd take the pumps off the dumper and work on them in a nice clean heated workshop. At least you can find the springs when the ping out then.

I have a pair of byrce pumps I had to hammer the pistons out of. I then "rebuilt" them with chemical metal. I never thought they'd work at all, but it was a sunday and I needed to move the machine. That was 7 years ago and they are still running. Admittedly it's pretty smokey, and you need a good starting arm.

I should add that hammering the pistons out of high pressure diesel pumps is top level bodgery and admitting to it probably qualifies as engineer trolling.

Good luck.
renewablejohn

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:14:57 PM »

Sounds like its full of sh*t. The byrce pumps are very sturdy if it was me I would flush out all pipes and then flush the pump out. If you get stuck blast it with an airline. Eventually you should be able to hand prime both pumps. If not get an exchange unit from Seddons in Bolton which is far easier then stripping down.
Tombo

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:33:38 AM »

Sounds like its full of sh*t. The byrce pumps are very sturdy if it was me I would flush out all pipes and then flush the pump out. If you get stuck blast it with an airline. Eventually you should be able to hand prime both pumps. If not get an exchange unit from Seddons in Bolton which is far easier then stripping down.

Good advice. 

GB- I take it you know that if the manual priming levers are pointing up then the pumps won't pump.   They need to be down for normal operation. In the up position they would cause the symptoms you describe.

Typical priming procedure:
Replace the diesel filter and rice out the tank.
Refill the tank to the top with clean fuel.
Remove the air bleed screw from each pump. Place a tray under them to catch any drips then have a cup of tea.
Once clean diesel is flowing from each air bleed screw. Refit the bleed screws while kicking over the drip tray.
Remove the injector lines and work the manual primers until clean fuel pulses from the top of each pump. While doing this you want the fuel metering racks fully open (towards the starting handle end).
Refit injector lines and purge the air from the lines at the injectors.
It should start now.

gravyminer

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »

Tempted to ask ( as its a bit new to you ) have you left fuelling a bit late and drawn air into one of the circuits ?

After doing a flush through and bleed my experience with the petter had me taking any high pressure side bits of the fuel system to the local fuel injection workshop. They could quickly pressure test and generally had the bits to fix.
Sadly workshop now closed as he didn't want to get into the really high pressure / common rail systems that now proliferate.

Is it a 2 cylinder and a hand crank start ? I thought the 6000 was a 3 cly  electric / hill  start  Smiley

gravyminer
Greenbeast

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »

Thanks all. I have in fact suffered one incidence of running out of diesel and air getting in, so i know the symptoms and procedure for that.
This is not the same, i can get diesel to flow by bleeding through but cannot get it to pump.

I think next stage is Tombo's first tip, i don't think i'll be hammering anything though  Grin
Unfortunately at the farm there is no heated workshop, the best i can do is an old touring carvan full of pig food, does that count  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: