navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LPG lister 6/1 chp  (Read 5301 times)
Jonah

« on: October 29, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »

Hi guys, I have a small 80sqm bungalow with a small heat demand 5kw with underfloor heating and a 210l unvented cylinder. The house has 4kw of solar and an 110ah forklift battery connected throug a midnite solar controller and the house is run by 2 Victron inverters which use the grid when under certain loads or low voltage.

I have a lister som here and a 60vdc motor waiting to be connected up but after having my Lpg tank filled yesterday at 32ppl got me wondering if it would/could be efficient/viable to run the lister on gas as a chp? Does anybody know what the output or heat and power that is achieved by a liter or kilo of Lpg please?

I am a gas fitter and quite happy that I can run the system in a similar way to a wood gas jobbie using an Arduino and a coil as a spark generator and spark plug in place of the diesel injector and a gas nozzle in the air intake.

I currently pay 14p pkwh on electric and whilst the solar happily runs it all in the summer I fancy a play with the lister for the winter.

Any thoughts or experience with similar please boys and girls
Jonah

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »

Ohh, I'm also very tempted to get some leaf batteries if anybody knows of anybody with some but I'd like some advice on charge controllers or bms for that too please and if I ever get around to it I have one of frotters wind turbines here to put up too when I get the enthusiasm...
jotec

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 09:09:24 AM »

No idea of the output of a som on lpg but on veg i use mine driving a 2kw sunny boy and get enought heat for 4 or 5 rads. I have an exhaust gases heat exchanger. It is generally accepted, I think, that output is 1/3 electric and 2/3 heat. You can, of course, not reclaim all the heat.
HTH

Aiming to reduce dependency on 'mains energy'. Own bio for 120k miles, solar water heating (DIY),  CHP done, Solar PV, use wood cut from own trees.
In U.K. near Worcester
oliver90owner

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:25:02 AM »

Why bother with conversion to spark ignition?  The easiest way of doing this is to ignite with oil injection and feeding lpg as the main fuel, I would think.

Fuel heat contents are available to all - just use 'goggle'!  Or just ask your supplier?
Jonah

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »

Thanks both, I have an exhaust gas heat exchanger here so just need to cobble it all together, just unsure it's viable. I really want to make a smallish ad plant but I think it'll be years until I do that...

I've looked at the fuel heat contents etc online but more interested in losses etc from either heat I can't capture or losses from the batteries.

I have got a 1000l thermal store I could use if the heat output is that good but need to work out if what I can capture in electric and gain in heat from the Genny will out perform the output on a condensing gas boiler in the first place.
Tombo

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »

If you haven't read it, I recommend the Jotec's excellent blog on his Lister chp. The link is at the bottom of his posts. 
oliver90owner

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »

Well, for a start, boilers don't produce any leccy and actually consume some!  Leccy is several times more valuable than thermal......so if you only used 15% of the leccy, that would equate to any boiler. 

It I may be surprising how little fuel a CS will use when not loaded (so heat output falls).  Diesels are better run at higher outputs but fuelled on gas, it may be no problem at lower generation levels.  Running a small radiant electric heater might allow lower ambient temps elsewhere.  A lot to consider, but I would say 'go for it!'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: