navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Turkish Turnip flies  (Read 10949 times)
fourfootfarm

« on: November 02, 2015, 06:27:01 PM »

Been given a turkish turnip, a three blade 24v watt number as a friend is upgrading to a 48v system.

So far I've gutted the internals of the supplied controller to just make use of the rectifier as simply shorting the turbines poles to provide control seems like an ugly solution to me. So i've dug out an old xantrex controller and wired into a dump load.

So of course we've had absolutely no wind for days.

I tested the system by plugging a couple of panels in to make sure the dump load turns on and it gets nice and toasty when the batteries are charged.

Just hope 600w of dump load is enough to cope with the mighty generating capacity of everyones favourite breezy brassica

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
agrarian

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:02:48 PM »

Been given a turkish turnip, a three blade 24v watt number as a friend is upgrading to a 48v system.

How many watts?

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »

Biff wrote a monologue somewhere about a Turkish turnip, after I uploaded a video of the 'production line'.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »

Its rated to 500w. But I think we will be lucky to ever see more than 100, I've got a metre rigged up to it and high hopes though.

I've read quite a few of the horror stories about them on here and elsewhere but as it was free can't really complain. Even if it only generates a few kwh then its still free power, which is the best /kwh rate going!

If it does turn out to be a complete dud at least I've now got the experience of sorting the wiring and control for it, so the next one will be a less steep learning curve. Still not brave enough to go full Hugh Piggot

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »

Here it is. http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20970.15.html

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »

Thats the one!

The guy who gave it to us had it working fairly well though so I am at least hopeful, and worst case scenario it explodes and scares the cows and I'm out a days labour setting it up.

Worse things have happened at sea!

Turkish Turnip
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »

Here's an independent test carried out this year.

fourfootfarm

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »

now, i'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure those magnets should be capable of spinning around?

Turkish Turnip
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 12:16:26 AM »

Your 600watt of dump load should be plenty, whistlie
                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »

When you buy a lump,
                 You look for a decent stator or windings or something that tells you that the people who made it had some pride in their work.
  Unfortunately,today,there is that much rubbish floating about on fleabay,it is nearly impossible to buy something decent.
  One of the best buys was a little 200watt Chinese turbine which was selling new for 250.00 but again the bearings needed to be replaced and the oversized blades cut down. Imagine a 200watt turbine with a prop of almost 7tf. Shocked Shocked. These were meant to be cut down in exposed coastal areas. The lump was excellent and very well made apart from the bearings.
 There are still a few of these kicking about and if you ever find one be sure to cut the bladed down to 6ft. These can,t half shift and have no trouble dishing out 300watt inn a force 4/5. The bladed are easy to balance but the cast iron hubs need to be checked for hairline cracks. They furl out of the wind around 450rpm. They are an old fashioned design but they work perfectly if one takes the time to set them up properly. The stuff is in them.
                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
agrarian

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

They are an old fashioned design but they work perfectly if one takes the time to set them up properly.

A bit like me Biff

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »

I wuz just going to say that AG,
                          Biff.

Stevieboy118

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »

I'm seeing the 12v 500w istabreeze kit on ebay for around 160. Are they worth it for a 100-150w realistic output? (and i get a new toy while talking her into some more panels)

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 10:42:27 PM »

10ft bargepole ,
                  springs to mind, sorry to disappoint you. Have a look for something else,
                                           Biff

Stevieboy118

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »

Cheers, more panels it is  Wink

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: