navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PV Storage Solution  (Read 2305 times)
tange179

« on: November 28, 2015, 02:47:18 PM »

I cannot see for the life of me how this device can work in harmony with Solar PV excess production i.e. how does it know when you are exporting to grid and divert that into its lithium batteries  Huh

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/08/26/orison-offering-affordable-plug-play-energy-storage/

John
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »

... interesting  ,  but not available yet

I guess it just has a small charger and a small GTI to feed the grid from the battery then... but me not sure ...

similar like this idea  of  a  small and  clever company , i know    ...http://www.solarelectrix.de/home2,4_uk.html

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
tange179

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »

ElectricX looks more promising, whereas the Orison does not mention how it would measure export/import...

John
djh

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »

Anything exporting power through a plugtop back into a wall socket would also be illegal in the UK, I think?

And you'd require a competent person anyway to make whatever arrangements are necessary to island the system in the event of a power cut so that it didn't feed power back into the mains supply.

So I don't see how you could have a plug and play battery in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter.

Cheers, Dave
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »

.... i guess it should be legalized , to connect a pv or and  battery store to a house socket  at a small scale ..

good idea  to take midday power peaks   at low cost and   release it into the home when prices  are higher ....   in pricip;le   not a bad plan

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »

Usual poor reporting by uninformed journalists

Looks more like an uninterruptable power suupply:-

"The secret to success for Orison is the proprietary software and power electronics technology that help isolate or “island” the connected electrical circuit, says Clifton. The company will rely on outside manufacturers to keep up with the latest battery technology and safety, he says."

Richard

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
djh

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »

Usual poor reporting by uninformed journalists

Looks more like an uninterruptable power suupply:-

"The secret to success for Orison is the proprietary software and power electronics technology that help isolate or “island” the connected electrical circuit, says Clifton. The company will rely on outside manufacturers to keep up with the latest battery technology and safety, he says."

Well that's what I thought at first but the diagrams clearly show power being passed back into the mains supply, and they talk about solar power.

Cheers, Dave
tange179

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »

Probably you plug a device into the unit if the power fails or if you want to run a TV at night etc.

Doesn't appear now to be a "pukka" solar storage solution after all..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:34:12 PM by tange179 » Logged
rogeriko

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »

In a power cut the grid is almost a dead short, any battery inverter still connected will instantly overload and cutout. If you turned off the mains breaker then an Inverter could run your house......
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:00:49 AM by rogeriko » Logged

book_woorm

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »

Typical you only get enough information to make you worry that the kit is unsafe!!!

2.4 Kw Kyocera Panels (west facing) Feronius inverter; Sonenkraft Solar Thermal with Twin 180Lt & 280 Lt Thermal Stores; SAP 'A' rated property with UFH & wood burner. Full weather compensation on the UFH buffer temperature & differential controller decides where the heat from the wood burner goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: