navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: titanium phosphate - Manganese Oxide or 'Salt Water' batteries  (Read 1483 times)
fourfootfarm

« on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »

I'd not come across these before and I saw them on sale at a Navitron competitor as 'salt water' batteries so decided to do some reading.

Marketed as non toxic and environmentally sustainable these batteries appear to fill a gap in the market between traditional Lead Acid, and expensive Li-ion options. How ever they don't seem that cheap to me!

The company making them seems to be keeping their cards close to their chest though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquion_Energy

They are purportedly 85% efficient which is up there with the better Lead Acids.

There seems to be a new battery tech along every 5 seconds. But seeing these actually on sale is interesting. 1200 for 2kw @ 48v would buy you a big chunk of traction battery though.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
skyewright

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquion_Energy

They are purportedly 85% efficient which is up there with the better Lead Acids.

From the link (with my emphasis):
According to the company, it will be 85 percent efficient.

That seems uncomfortably far from "are" from a product that's apparently being offered for sale right now with an availability of "Usually 1-2 weeks".

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »

I think one of the key drivers for this tech was to not use rare exotic and toxic elements in their construction, as such it is hoped to be able to scale up production without hitting resource bottlenecks fingers crossed!

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
fourfootfarm

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:50:34 PM »

I think if they aren't just investment capitol guzzling vapourware they might be interesting for use in large scale grid storage. But as yet no concrete info anywhere other than shiny techblog articles.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »

I understand that all their commercial customers are still under NDA too. I looked at them but don't believe they are accepting retail orders yet. They seem to sit price-wise just under Lithium (from memory, roughly 2.5k per stack and 14k per pallette - correct me if I am wrong) and are slow to charge or discharge but have a reasonably long cycle life. They appear to be pretty much fit and forget.

I liked the idea but excluded them on their lack of retail information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: