navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 young people in a flat, how much electricity did they consume?  (Read 8245 times)
smegal

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »

Some of the lamps are low energy, I am waiting for them to be on special offer somewhere nearby, and I will change them all.

peas

Sometimes the pound shops have some pretty good LED bulbs.

I light our living room with a 5W LED in a side lamp on a timer switch. No temptation to turn on the main lights as the lamp comes on automatically.

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
oliver90owner

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »

I often call my wife Tonto.  Nothing at all to do with the Lone Ranger - just Turn On, Never Turn Off!
marktime

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »

I've not done any analysis but with respect to:- But the shocker was when I switched on the Xbox 360, on it's own ignoring the telly, it added 200w.

If you add a fancy graphics card to a PC it usually needs an extra power feed direct from the PSU, a dedicated  games console is maxed our on graphics and processing power. Add to that the extra fans to keep them cool and it's soon becomes a viscous circle.
A simple PC, laptop or slim client might sip amps but a I've not seen a games console promoted for it's low power consumption!

Also if I've understood the domestic set up it's five individual cooking for themselves not a family of five cooking and eating together, I'm sure the difference is obvious.

MarkTime
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »

See my earlier post- XBox One actually draws less power than the 360 did despite being significantly more powerful computing wise!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
skyewright

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »

I light our living room with a 5W LED in a side lamp on a timer switch. No temptation to turn on the main lights as the lamp comes on automatically.
Our bungalow has a 'spinal corridor'. In summer the corridor gets adequate light from the front & back doors (& any open room doors), but outside summer its pendant light used to be on pretty much the whole time apart from the dead of night. Since I put an LED 'night light' (0.6W) in a socket halfway along the hall the main light is hardly ever used. The night light has a light sensor so it's only  'on' when needed. It's far from bright, we find it perfectly adequate when all you really want to do is get from one room to another. As a bonus it has a small rechargeable battery, and a switch setting that means it stays on if there's a power cut.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40°, WSW, Lat 57° 9' (Isle of Skye)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: