navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seasonal electricity  (Read 3199 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »

Lots of panels will help when the sun is out and some super capacitors too for the motor start up current.

Lots of panels ( can be found for 20 p per watt) can be as well a good building material  garden   , and as well divert extra surplus  units into a hot water tank  foe a warm wash of the cloth and your skin  extrahappy , makes  it easier with the girls then   fight

Not so sure about the need of "super capacitors"  , sure the idea is good and  already  combined with lead acid batteries ( like the Ultrabattery ) ,

But i guess its more the off Grid inverter  that has to take the start up current ...., i would imagine  2-3 kw rated one can  run  all  your needs

To be honest  , today ,  i would go for those Taiwan built  Inverters ( PIP-2424MSX) with an MPPT chargecontroler inbuilt  .... for about  600 delivered one gets a 2.4 kw inverter  including 60 A chargecontroler ...

Years back  prices were high and availability of alternatives low ,  that idea of a Victron 2.4 kw inverter and an external outback MPPt charger , costed me about 2500  , but still working  Cheesy (and still happy )

Anyway ,  seems  .. that you are pretty relaxed  ,  so i can only say , that the battery is the Achilles  from the start ,.... the rest then can be extended   as "Pay as you go"

Have fun

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
daftlad

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »

Hi all.
Billi, where do you get your batteries from? I have been looking at bimble solar (crown) and battery megastore (Trojan)
I have confidence that we can get away with our base load being very little, and spaces numbers are very helpful.
We will start out with a couple of panels and a single 12 volt 100ish ah battery (suggestions) and just use it for the lights and phone (a caravan system if you will) and see how it goes.
Once we are settled then I will look to something bigger but I really want to live differently without lots of appliances, having said that we need a washing machine! And a .......   ....etc etc!!!!!

Cheers

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: