navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A DC bank Manager,  (Read 8490 times)
knighty

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »

for the pull start pumps... stick a socket adapter in a drill, with the right sized socket for the nut in the middle of the pull cord thingie... then you can use the drill to start it right up

I used to have to start a petrol water pump daily and that was the best way to start it.... pump was a bit cheap/duff so I used a mains drill but I bet you could get away with a decent battery drill
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »

I finally got around to starting on a power source,
                                I decided to use this little thrifty Chinese diesel. It has been around for over 12years and has already had a cruel life. The generator packed up about 5 years ago and it has been lying up since.I checked it for oil and spun the engine by hand a few dozen times to get the oil up round the top. The throttle is adjustable and I set it for tick over. The first little touch of the key,started it,just sitting tumbling over.I ran it for a few mins. The dc electrics are fine and the control board will go straight onto a new frame.
. The alternator was burned out, so it was just a matter of getting off the engine crankshaft without doing any damage.
, The original long bolt that hold the generator shaft tight to the cone on the crankshaft is the one with the 2 locking nuts just above that bearing. It is removed and a number 12 tap driven into the shaft to take that bolt sitting on top. Then a number 10 threaded bar is measured to slide down the centre of the generator shaft and push off the face of the pulley but short by 20mm or so,,allowing that big number 12 to enter the shaft and start pushing the shaft off the cone on the crankshaft.

success!  A dozen turns, or enough to almost crumple the 10 mm bar inside the shaft and a few gentle raps of the generator shaft over the cone and the two split with a bang. The engine well secured.. The engine may not look that great but it runs perfect. I intend to get it properly cleaned before the final installing it into the new frame.
The control panel with starter button.
 The plan is to build a frame on solid rubber wheels, to take the engine, pmg and controls. I have yet to decide on a frame design but It will be bigger than the present frames and more maneuverable + a lot more water proof.
                            Biff

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:13:41 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 09:02:36 PM »

So little by little I am getting there
  I decided to put new posh bearings on this PMG, Going to the bother of putting it all together and have it fail for the want of a few bearings would not be a wise move.The bearings are readily available @ 22euros each and a pillow block another 24euros and then a 35mm 2517 taper lock is 22euros,, Cry and sitting flat on the bench behind the PMG is the 500mm 2 shave (courtesy of Guy) which will go on to the PMG shaft after I have it taken down to 35mm,
The pulley on the engine has proved to be the hardest and most expensive to procure to date. The crankshaft was tapered, so the pulley had to be machined to fit, all in costing an eye watering 50 euros.
 I have the frame for the chasis and it just remains to get the shaft taken down to 35mm,with a step for the pillow block , then peel off the cling film, fit new bearings, put it all together, with new pulley and build a wooden template on the chasis to give me an idea of size and spacing in the design. It will be simple.
                                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »

It was a horrible day today,
                    Driving rain and damp to boot. The shed was draughty but dry, so I found my toys and got on with the show.

off with the bearings front and back. My home made puller extensions are handy.

Here is a tale of two windings. the one on the left is a mark3Y/S and the one on the right is an older Mark 2. The one on the left suffered some serious lighting attention, where the lightening took the form of blue triangles flickering along the turbine ,right out to the fin on the tale. You can see the darkened winding where they were burned out.The same strike melted the big blue plug on out geni, even  though it was not connected and knocked out a brain on the symmetrs,again not connected.
  Both our Chinese controller and inverter (2kw) survived.The sound went on the flatscreen for an hour, so it was all very strange.
  The mark 2 on the right lost a phase for some reason and i discovered that the insulation had melted and shorted but not until after a year or so of serious overspeeding which some times produced in excess of 3kw, some scorch marks are clearly visible on the top lip of the windings, so tomorrow, I will get it tested to see if it is ok.I did test it before I opened it but I may have damaged it in the process. It was particularly difficult to open. The casings are slightly different. Hopefully the windings are OK.
                                                                              Biff
  A PMG ready for the machine shop.
  I plan to build a template. A steel base and wooden crosspieces with struts, just screwed and bolted. Just something to get it up and running to see what it looks like, how it sounds and most importantly, to see what it can deliver. If it does well, I will build a proper frame with fans and fuel tank.
                                                 Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »

Up the mountain I went,
                         To visit my friend who rebuilds starters, alternators and electrical motors. Testing the winding did not take long but the news was not good the three phases were all shorted out on the casing, complete shorts in all three. So that was a bit of a blow. The storm does not seem to have affected him in the least and there was no damage done, so that was good news.
  Now I am left with two dud winding and two decent PMs Grin. I will have to search around and see if I can raise a 2kw or 3kw Y/S. They are now hens teeth and quite hard to get. Even a grid tied one would suit me. 120vdc x 2kw would be preferable but you never know.
                                                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »

I sourced a 120vdc Y/S 2kw PMG,
                             Work has begun on the cage to house the 500mm pulley. It has to be caged in because the wheel which is quite heavy might take off and wreck the place.
  Easier said than done,,and the whole caboodle has to be set on rubber bushings..

The power to drive the grinder and saws is being supplied by the newly installed 48volt x 1kw YS and an old battered out forklift battery,needless to say there is more power om tap than I need and i have disconnected the pv
 toys and a start to the cage
A template to help me set up the PMG accurately,   The whole caboodle is being drilled and bolted together,,Time consuming,yes but then I get time to plan and souse out the little access problems that spring up in a job like this and if I need to make a change, I just loose the bolts and get on with it, Once it is up and running correctly, I will probably take the cage and get it welded permanently just leaving access to change the belt or take out the PMG.
 It is nice kind of work, no hurry, just do so much every day and it gets done. I regard the cage as one of the most,if not the most important part of the build. There is 5mm tolerance on either side of the 45mm taperlock, the main body of the pmg is to be well secured on a steel cradle and the shaft rests on a 25mm pillowblock,n so if it is set up correctly it will run true and give no trouble,,The plan is to build the PMG within the cage as one big unit 450deep x 500wide and 600high, Then transfer the unit on to another frame with bushing in between.
                                                     Biff

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:24:07 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 09:39:54 AM »

The empty template is a must, The real thing is too heavy to be lugging around

It is nice relaxing kind of interest and I have a long way to go. The framework to house the generator and the engine is a plain 450mm,w x 600mm,h x 1150mm,long  in 50mm angle iron. then the finish frame goes over that with 6 heavy duty rubber bushings between them, There has to be room for large fans on both the engine and the generator.  I will be getting the frames made up in the local workshop. Weight is thankfully not a consideration, The heavier the better.
 To be honest, this is something that would be good to nobody but myself because it is in 120vdc, Yet I know that generating in 120vdc is extremely efficient and economic,especially through the wind turbine controllers.There is no waste.The governers on the engine can cope with sudden loads and the controllers can dump excess into the house immersions. I could see the benefit of a heavier flywheel and starting load free is a must.
  I must add, that I have very limited experience in this kind of work but from a structural perspective I know the value of square and brace, everything else is suck and see.
                                                                           Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »

The cage. once the pulley is enclosed it cannot escape no matter what goes wrong.
  I have had a few experiences down through the years, some near misses and unfortunately some fatalities for the want of a cage. In one such circumstance, the split ring was edging out of its bed on the rim, I think the tyre pressure would have been at least 90 psi on an old industrial rim. The guy who owned the garage though that a good belt with the heavy hammer would send it back into place. There was a cage in the tyre changing department
  but he was in a hurry, The Ring split his head like a melon. He would have been dead before he touched the ground. He was 24.
  On another occasion I went to visit a friend and found him outside his workshop looking pretty terrified. He told me that he run out of strimmer wire and decided instead to fit a circular saw blade.
  He could not get the hole in the center to fit properly so it bodged it with washers. He got it started and it seemed to run ok but then he reved it up and it began to shake like mad. It broke free from the strimmer while he was holding the shaft and began to travel around the workshop about head height, running round the four walls and slicing through everything on the shelves.
  He could not move with the fright and I had just arrived as he walked out the door. i went in to have a look and sure enough i could see the track that the blade left right round the 4 walls, There were various cans of oil, red oxide, green shed paint, weed killers and god knows what but the blade sliced through everything that it came in contact with and left oil and chemical,farming products running down onto the floor.I found the blade in the corner. It suffered no ill effects, it was just a 9" tungsten tipped circular saw blade..
     Yes,, cages are brilliant ideas.
                               Biff
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:44:43 PM by biff » Logged

phoooby

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:58 AM »

Please excuse my ignorance but is this project a DC generator powered by an IC engine. I assume there are efficiencies in generating DC to charger your battery rather than run a 220v AC generator and use a battery charger. I am jealous of your "tinkering time" allowed by Mrs Biff on these projects but enjoy looking at what people are up to non the less.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
knighty

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 12:57:33 AM »

where's the generator going relative to the engine, above/below/along side ?

looking at the size difference in the pulleys there won;t be much belt wrapped around the engine pulley - you might end up needing a small idler pulley so the belts zig zag a little  (idler pulley goes where the belt is moving away from the engine not where the engine is pulling)

looks like a fun project tho :-)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »

Yes phoooby,
            That is it, exactly. The small diesel engine drives the pmg at lower revs than it would normally run at. 2,000rpm as opposed to 3,000rpm. The max for the pmg is 400rpm. The 3 phase from the pmg is rectified and sent directly into our battyery bank, excess power is diverted to the immersion heaters in the house, just like the way that the wind turbine and the pv operate.  The extra fans will help to cool the engine and the pmg.  and yes i am lucky that Mrs Biff is agreeable with my tinkerings on different projects like this.           
                                                                          Biff

fourfootfarm

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »

A chap I know tells a story of a split rim disappearing through a concrete roof leaving a lovely circular hole. Thankfully no one was hurt. Scary things. Unfortunately a lot of the farm trailers were made from old recycled lorry axles which had split rims. If I remember rightly the old bedford ones has reversed threads on one side. Complete pain in the arse to get off if you forgot that!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: