navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name the new planet  (Read 2007 times)
Wickham

« on: January 21, 2016, 06:52:35 AM »

The (potential) new planet is a long way away. Most planets are named after Roman Gods but there seems no reason why there shouldn't be a Greek name, so here are my three suggestions:

Janus - Roman God of Beginnings, Endings, Transition, Doorways and Keys.

Hades - Greek King of the underworld and the dead. That seems appropriate for a planet way out in the darkness of space. Unfortunately Pluto is the Roman name for the same God so there might be some confusion.

Hermes - Greek God of boundaries, travel, communication, trade, language, and writing.  

The new name needs to be easy to pronounce and spell and appropriate for different languages, some Greek Gods have names difficult to pronounce or spell.

Looking at the orbit here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/feature-astronomers-say-neptune-sized-planet-lurks-unseen-solar-system

The orbits of the small objects spinning around the new planet (Sedna and others) would seem to come within Earth's orbit in the future creating a potential risk to us.

No chance that PV panels will work there, but if it's got a lot of methane or hydrogen, those could be a power source.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:44:52 AM by Wickham » Logged

14 Upsolar UP-M190M 190W panels total 2.66kWp and 13 Enecsys SMI-200/G83 and 1 SMI-240/G83 72 cell micro-inverters and website gateway unit, ground-mounted in early May 2011; 30 degree slope; 5 degrees east of south; 8 miles west of Salisbury
oliver90owner

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:45:41 AM »

If they can pinpoint planets around other stars (a minimum of 4 light years distant) I would have thought that one only a few light hours away would be a doddle.  I await the discovery, but not holding my breath while doing so.
Wickham

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:10:10 AM »

As I understand it, the planets discovered around other stars are often in close orbits and/or very large and can be ascertained by fluctuations in the light from the star. None of those reasons apply to our new planet.

14 Upsolar UP-M190M 190W panels total 2.66kWp and 13 Enecsys SMI-200/G83 and 1 SMI-240/G83 72 cell micro-inverters and website gateway unit, ground-mounted in early May 2011; 30 degree slope; 5 degrees east of south; 8 miles west of Salisbury
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:29:21 AM »

Hi,
    I like Felicity means intense happiness or ability to find expression for ones thoughts. Or we could go the route of Uranus which has provided more giggles from schoolkids than anyone can imagine. That would be Innuendo (an allusive or oblique remark). Which is an innuendo itself and a Queen song.

Richard

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
MeatyFool

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:06:04 PM »

Given its highly elliptical orbit and, its massive distance away from Neptune, and the the large variance from the ecliptic, I think Goofy would be good for Plant #9.

Now why did that name pop into my head?  facepalm

MeatyFool..
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

Palatine because it sounds like planet nine.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: