navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windturbine in the snow showing air vortices  (Read 1362 times)
fourfootfarm

« on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:22 PM »

http://i.imgur.com/L7Iajqs.gifv

500w Turkish Turnip. EPsolar 30a MPPT & Tristar 45's . Assorted chinese junk. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:34:42 PM »

nice,!,
      You would not expect that. The holes I mean.
                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
TheFairway

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »

OMG.

If a bird flew into those they might just fall out of the sky or suffocate  bike

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »

Fascinating stuff, excellent .gif . I speculated in a previous post that these pockets of turbulence may be the cause of resonance/failure in downwind units on a wind farm. The developers of wind farms would certainly benefit from taking the opportunity to utilise nature's free wind-tunnel. (There was another useful pic posted on the site a name of which I have forgotten).

This could also be useful in developing ground-level noise reduction devices to reduce the acoustic impact of large turnips.
I notice that the pockets of turbulence come from the wing-tips as they pass.
In future I suspect that we will be seeing vortex-gates at rotor-tips similar to those seen on jet airliner wings. These will also improve the efficiency of the unit itself.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:15:19 AM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
smegal

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »

This could also be useful in developing ground-level noise reduction devices to reduce the acoustic impact of large turnips.
I notice that the pockets of turbulence come from the wing-tips as they pass.
In future I suspect that we will be seeing vortex-gates at rotor-tips similar to those seen on jet airliner wings. These will also improve the efficiency of the unit itself.

Like these?

I've only noticed them on Enercon turbines at the moment.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »

I think that these may interfere with one another.
http://renews.biz/101273/res-backs-hexicon-floater/

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »

There are winglets on the new turbines they are building on the a46 between leicester and bingham. Hopefully they will help with resonance issues too.

500w Turkish Turnip. EPsolar 30a MPPT & Tristar 45's . Assorted chinese junk. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »

I was too flippant above about the Flexicon floating platform. However many turbines are mounted on it, the whole raft rotates into wind to give each rotor clean air.
http://www.hansa-online.de/fileadmin/pdf/fachartikel/Hexicon.pdf

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »

Neat A macro cloud chamber.

Now and again Microdesp and myself have video'ed planes coming into land at heathrow, sometimes 15 seconds or more after a plane has gone overhead we hear the vortexes (vorti?) (vorticles?) whooshing overhead. There is nothing to see but it can be quite loud and seems as if it is not that far above our heads, weird stuff is fluid dynamics.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
JohnS

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »

Interesting to see that it is a downwind turbine.  I was not aware that they made turbines that size as downwind turbines precisely because of the problems with vortices in the shadow of the pylon. 

Downwind turbines have the benefit of allowing the blades to be more flexible as they bend away from the pylon, whereas upwind turbines need stiff blades to prevent them hitting the turbine.

2.1kWp solar PV
djh

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »

There's a video of the turbine at https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHl_0s4qqUY

Cheers, Dave
charles

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »

wow thats crazy, looks cool though
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: