navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Holes  (Read 7341 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »

I read today in New Scientist, that the gravitational waves detected were probably caused by two black holes spiraling into each other, and in doing so, they would lose around 3 'suns' worth of mass in about 0.2seconds - briefly outshining the entire rest of the universe.

Wow those numbers really are astronomical, what happens to the mass that is "lost" is it converted to energy? 3 solar masses in .2 of a second is going to be a lot of power horror sh*tfan

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »

Oh dear what a saddo I am, I just couldn't leave it alone........... tumble

in Joules it works out at 5.97^30*3*10^8*3*10^8 ............liberated in .2 of a second so if you multiply that by 3600*5 and then divide by 3,600,000 that I think would give you the energy in kWhr.................. sh*tfan sh*tfan sh*tfan sh*tfan sh*tfan sh*tfan give or take a brazzzillion or ten.

someone else care to crunch that,? even I ain't that sad whistlie whistlie

I love astronomy, it's just so astronomical ralph

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Countrypaul

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »

I think that should be 5.97*10^30*3*10^8*3*10^8 though google shows the mass of the sun as 1.989 rather than 5.97

Yes I'm that sad as well.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 04:27:18 PM »

Quite a big number then! surrender surrender
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »

I don,t mind if you are a few point out,
                I forgive ya all and I am happy to just look up from time to time and see a star our two. I only need one star and the moon. The rest only complicate things.
    When my daughter was very small, she used to ask all kinds of questions about stars and galaxies. It was terrible. I heard about bears and ploughs and milky ways but I had,nt a notion you see, then she got a book on astronomy when she was six and that was my ignorance exposed. It was terrible, it was. Just imagine being preached to by a 6 year old.
  Then she grew up an d became an engineer and her kids are into everything. So they ask me a question and I pull their leg because I don,t know the answer to the question and then she starts on me," Now do you see what I had to put up with" (to the kids) Hands on hips.
 The kids look at me ,with a certain understanding, I have a look of a rabbit caught in the headlight of a car. It is tricky being a grandpa,especially if you forget to keep quiet.
  Modern kids are a very serious lot.When I was a kid, I would be sent to the shop for a long stand. So I would stand there with my hands in my short trouser pockets and the old lady would ask me, "was that long enough" and I would go Eh,!?. Then she would feel sorry for me and give me a gobstopper, one of the ones with that red dye that used to run all over your chin, like blood. Half way down the road i would swop the rest of the gobstopper for a marble, some gobstoppers had hollow centres and you had to ditch them before the hole appeared or you would get nothing for them. There was a lot of sucking and slurping in half a solid gobstopper and well worth a marble any day. Then if I was really bored,with nothing to do and no dough, I would go to the shop myself and say that I had been sent for a long stand. It did not work every time but it was worth the effort. Random success is 10 times the excitement.
  Half the time we carried all kinds of exotic extras, ringworm was a big scorer. mumps, Measels, chicken pox and of course big green snotty noses. There was a gang of about 20 of us. No creche would allow us in the door nowaday. There was not a single playstsation of PC to be heard of and we still had to discover TV,, You could just see the action through the snow. It was different back then.
  Twinkle twinkle little star, When I grow up I,ll buy a car, Up and down the road I.ll fly.and 50ty verses after that.
   Errr were wuz i,,,,,,,,,,? Ah Black holes.. yes, Calcutta has a big one.
                                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »

I think that should be 5.97*10^30*3*10^8*3*10^8 though google shows the mass of the sun as 1.989 rather than 5.97

Yes I'm that sad as well.

You're right of course, I ommited the ten, and one solar mass is 1.989*10^30kg but I multiplied by three as Ivan quoted three solar masses were destroyed, but hey what's a coupla solar masses between friends Grin

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »

I know exactly what you mean Biff, kids have a knack of asking the most penetrating questions in all innocense, sometimes we have quite a struggle with a public viewing night at the astronomical society.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: