navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Holes  (Read 9053 times)
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« on: January 26, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »

Reith Lectures starting now R4

Stephen Hawking Black Holes

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
gravyminer

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »

Doh !

I was going to listen to this. Will have to ''listen again'

Apparently he was also talking about the need for humans to get off planet before we make it inhospitable for ourselves.
Suggesting he thinks humans are more important than planet .......

gravyminer
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »

Bottoms I missed it too, still with the help of a black hole I will listen yesterday wackoold

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=hawking&search_group_id=urn:bbc:programmes:b00729d9

Volunteer moderator
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »

Talking of black holes, I see the LIGO scientists have just announced the detection of gravitational waves caused by the merging of two black holes a billion light years away. I wonder if with some refinement in detection techniques they might be able to "see" dark matter or even dark energy?

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

dan_b

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »

I'm convinced dark matter / energy as a mysterious new thing is cobblers it's just normal matter we've not seen yet.  I vividly recall a documentary about the Hubble telescope where they pointed it at the darkest most empty piece of the sky astronomers could find, expecting to see overt little, and Hubble revealed the most extraordinary number of previously unseen galaxies...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »

Ah !  "Black holes" says he,
                       He was sitting at the kitchen table cutting squares of newspaper for the outside toilet,
    " Dam,d right" says he,"They are impossible to see,"
                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
djs63

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »

To dan_b
There is plenty of other evidence for dark matter within nearby galaxies never mind in the unimaginably distant universe.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
Stuart Ian Naylor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

I am not sure about the main evidence of dark matter.

"Things are not acting like we expect, so it must be something else"

Maybe what we are expecting is wrong.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »

I think there is a bit more to it than that Stuart, as I understand it (which is not much) the standard model makes predictions that constrain the ratios and amounts of Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium produced in the first few minutes on nucleosynthesis after the big bang, these ratios are indeed seen throughout the universe wherever we look. Also the acceleration of the expansion of the universe has in the last 15 years been observed, it was predicted by General relativity a hundred years ago. It is very hard to see why it should accelerate unless there is some kind of unseen force pushing it.

Who knows??

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Stuart Ian Naylor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:28:52 PM »

If the Higgs wasn't found then scientists where going to state the standard model is wrong and its back to the drawing board.

They did find it but there are still loads of questions with supersymmetry, even the speed of light has new queries.

"Things are not acting like we expect, so it must be something else", sort if sums it up to me and neatly ties up the problem in a Douglas Adams "Somebody else's, problem field" style.

Humanity is always right at the time, whilst the future has repeatedly shown that we were wrong. Interesting stuff if you're a scientist and way beyond me.

Dark matter, might not be and the standard model could just be like Newtonian physics and the real underlying physics could be something else entirely.

The Higgs answered a question, but the LHC has opened a load more new ones.

To be honest I wouldn't be any more surprised that dark matter doesn't exist, than by them actually proving it does.

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »

Insert Quote
If the Higgs wasn't found then scientists where going to state the standard model is wrong and its back to the drawing board.

I disagree with that,

even before the Higgs was discovered there was a lot of good evidence for the standard model, not least the Microwave backgroound. This was predicted years before the COBE sattelite by the theories and when COBE was finally launched the background radiation was seen, although we could not see the irregularities.  Years later when the observations were refined,  the irregularities were observed to within one part in ten thousand of the predictions.

Even if the Higgs were not discovered it wouldn't be back to the drawing board, sure it could mean some refinements are needed but basically the model would still work. In the same way as Newtonian laws worked for gravity, well almost, but it took general relativity to finally clear up the tiny discrepancy, we didn't need to dump Newtonian physics merely refine it a bit. Probably that would be the case with C, although there aren't many who doubt it isn't a universal constant as far as I know.

The standard model has made too many predictions that have subsequently been confirmed by observation to be wildly inaccurate, but sure there are many many questions that still need answers.

Mind you, never say never...............

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Stuart Ian Naylor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 02:27:42 AM »

I really don't know Desp, I read and watch a few science articles and my memory isn't great. I seem to remember quite a few scientists said not finding the Higgs would be more exciting.
The Higgs boson and Higgs field is the base fundamental particle in the standard model, but they found it anyway. But at the time many were not sure if the LHC would solidify or break the standard model.

Standard model is still shaky but to be honest I thought a bottom quark was caused by a dodgy curry, so aint a clue.

Ivan

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 02:53:45 AM »

I read today in New Scientist, that the gravitational waves detected were probably caused by two black holes spiraling into each other, and in doing so, they would lose around 3 'suns' worth of mass in about 0.2seconds - briefly outshining the entire rest of the universe.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 09:06:41 AM »

The wonderful thing about scientific discoveries is that they lead to further theorising and the search for more scientific discoveries. The latest scientific discovery?  Ancient cures to the fore:

Take ye onions, wine, garlic, leaks, and cow-bile, Chop ye ingredients well, mix and let stand for nine days and nights. Strain ye the liquor and use to kill 90% of MRSA in ye wounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35550165

I love it. Perhaps we are not doomed after all.

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: