navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New FiT Capacity Limits  (Read 5426 times)
Ted
Global Moderator

« on: February 12, 2016, 05:30:19 PM »

OFGEM have published the details of new capacity installed in the first 24 hours of the new scheme which started on 8th February.

Some category/bands have already maxed out their limit for the whole quarter, with the queue for full for most of the rest of the year. Small PV looks OK for the time being.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2016/02/fit_deployment_caps_that_have_been_reached_in_tariff_period_1_february_8_march_31_2016_as_of_09022016.pdf

Volunteer moderator
NoahsDad

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »

OFGEM have published the details of new capacity installed in the first 24 hours of the new scheme which started on 8th February.

Some category/bands have already maxed out their limit for the whole quarter, with the queue for full for most of the rest of the year. Small PV looks OK for the time being.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2016/02/fit_deployment_caps_that_have_been_reached_in_tariff_period_1_february_8_march_31_2016_as_of_09022016.pdf

Looking at that table, it suggests that extensions to existing 4kw (or less) PV systems are eligible for a FIT claim. But there seems to be great confusion and contradiction on this? Some installers say no extensions don't qualify, some say they do, and some don't know. My installer asked a high up contact at HES/EST who does not know and had to google it and still could not answer him.

Can anyone on here actually say with 100% certainty what the score is on this one?
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »

Extensions no longer qualify for FiTs.

Extensions
1.56 The consultation sought views on whether to remove the ability of installations to extend their capacity under FITs. There was only limited
support for the proposal with the majority of respondents disagreeing with the proposal, principally because it was suggested extensions offered better
value for money to the generator. Government has decided that the right to receive a generation tariff for extensions should be removed for all
installations which commission on or after 15 January 2016.
Whilst encouraging the deployment of renewable installations, the scheme should
provide better value for money for the consumer, rather than the generator, and extensions may provide generators a tariff that provides a higher rate
of return on investment than that set out in the scheme’s EU State Aid approval.

Volunteer moderator
brackwell

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »

So what was the position as at 31/3/2016 ? 

It was always going to be so as the gov still have a HUGE deficit.    And £360 million per day could go a long way just now. - oops.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »

The overall financial costs of FiTs, do you mean?

That will have to wait until just before Christmas when the annual report is published.

The total costs for 2014-15 were about £900 million.

Volunteer moderator
NoahsDad

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »

What happens if you install an on-grid PV extension tomorrow.

(a) you don't get FIT as things stand.
(b) what about the export rate though? are you eligible to claim export rate still from your energy company on an extension?

And going back to (a) the FIT, is there any hope or possibility that FIT for PV extensions will come back in the future, or is pretty much dead in the water and gone for ever?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:57:57 AM by NoahsDad » Logged
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 07:50:10 PM »

This has not been made particularly clear, and you would have to ask your supplier.

My take is that you will not get export as the export payment is made under a FiT contract and the extension is not going to be eligible. If you have an extension wired through the same meter as the primary eligible installation then your readings would be pro-rata reduced for FiT payment calculation so any 50% deemed export would be based on the lower readings.

Volunteer moderator
knighty

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 11:10:03 PM »

So what was the position as at 31/3/2016 ? 

It was always going to be so as the gov still have a HUGE deficit.    And £360 million per day could go a long way just now. - oops.

I thought the cash for the FIT payments came from extra charges on electric etc.. ?
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »

It does, but in the government's eyes it is treated similarly to a tax. DECC have a budget figure for it as part of the Levy Control Framework.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/levy-control-framework-cost-controls

Volunteer moderator
NoahsDad

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »

What's the general consensus of people on here with regards to installation of new Solar PV systems in the circumstance of "extensions" that take you over 4kw if not already over 4kw?

There is quite a lot of to consider, such as:

(a) Is it best to just go off-grid and save a few quid now, as the current situation is very unclear, confused and complicated and not worth the hassle of bothering with on-grid.
(b) Is it best to spend a few more quid go on-grid as there is potential for exporting from a new extension either now (but who knows), or later.
(c) Definitely go on-grid and spend that bit more as it gives you the option of exporting even if available later on, and it may just qualify for a backdated FIT later on (again who knows). You can't unscramble an egg after all.

The current situation is simply crazy and unacceptable?
skyewright

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »

What's the general consensus of people on here with regards to installation of new Solar PV systems in the circumstance of "extensions" that take you over 4kw if not already over 4kw?
The first question[1] has to be...

...will your DNO allow a connection that involves micro-generation > 16A (~3.68kW)?

And, if they will allow it, then at what cost (i.e. charge).

SSE's initial (paper exercise) estimate was that they'd want to do at least £5000 + VAT of work on the local network to allow any grid connected extension to our system.

Given that, we decided not to follow up the idea.

PS. We didn't raise the possibility of using a DNO approved device such as the EMMA to restrict export to not exceed the current level (they aren't cheap. Nost sure of costs nowadays? IIRC a few years ago they were in the £1-2000  range?).

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40°, WSW, Lat 57° 9' (Isle of Skye)
knighty

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 11:18:07 PM »

I hadn't realised fit payments had dropped to 4.25p/kw

I was planning a big system at work but held off for a while... not fits are so low I'm better off spending that cash elsewhere :-(
M

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »

I hadn't realised fit payments had dropped to 4.25p/kw

I was planning a big system at work but held off for a while... not fits are so low I'm better off spending that cash elsewhere :-(

Knighty, it's not nearly that bad. The 0-10kWp rate is actually 4.32p, and the 10-50kWp is even more at 4.53p.

Hope that's cheered you up.  Wink

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
NoahsDad

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »

Where's the logic in the new FIT scheme though? If I am understanding the new system correctly, someone with no Solar PV, can come along and claim FIT for up to 50kw? Where as someone who already has a 4kw PV system, can't claim any further FIT for an extension?

I must be understanding things wrongly? It really can't be that barking mad can it?
RIT

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »

Where's the logic in the new FIT scheme though? If I am understanding the new system correctly, someone with no Solar PV, can come along and claim FIT for up to 50kw? Where as someone who already has a 4kw PV system, can't claim any further FIT for an extension?

I must be understanding things wrongly? It really can't be that barking mad can it?

There is a government involved, what more can I say  banghead

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: