navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a setting I need to set?  (Read 10794 times)
bxman

« on: February 13, 2016, 07:44:09 AM »

Heading into Win 10 territory  with difficulty    ( BIOS updated been necessary )

anyone with a suggestion  that could possibly  help
@stannn's  post on the  Redflow Battery does not show any sign of the promotional  video

It is there on the win7 system
   Hp  N54L        family                  64bit  on w10    322bit  w7  anyone else on  Win  10 that could check for me?

thanks
regen

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:04:16 AM »

Hi Patrick,

I know very little about computors but I know of 2 people who have had win 10 taken off and returned to previous prog.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
TheFairway
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:36 AM »

Did you run the compatibility test? Be prepared to leave the update running over night.

Win 10 is a no brainer if running Win 8.x, if running Win 7, its down to compatibility what/if you lose and how much you can cope with change.

Win 8 was a big change, Win 10 gets that change right. But it is a big change from Win XP/7 which some people dont like/cant cope with. Thankfully, with Win 7 you have an option to stay put.
bxman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »

Thanks

I have gone for a fresh install.

so it is on another machine  just single hard disk at the moment .

it is talking to the i-net now I have upgraded the bios .

it will run the video on Paul's blog  OK  and bbc iplayer
still very early days
heatherhopper

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »

Running Win 10 from the early days (upgrade from 7) on a five year old Acer laptop. Video works fine for me in both Edge and IE.
Not a computing expert but have only had a couple of problems with 10 - all browser related and cropped up well after original upgrade. All appear to have been down to updates not installing properly - simply uninstalled any that may have caused the problem and reinstalled manually or let them install automatically at a later date.
I disabled any and all the Win 10 features that seemed pointless to me from day one and this was quite a lot which is becoming typical of technology "improvements" these days.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
offthegridandy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »

"@stannn's  post on the  Redflow Battery does not show any sign of the promotional  video "

I have been noticing for some months now that there are some posts here that show nothing on my screen.  Is this the same issue?  I have a 10 year old Dell lap top which is running Windows XP version 5.1.  If this is an effect of the absence of support for older versions of Windows I'm afraid the day will soon come when I will be left behind.

I'll have gone from the leading edge with my Sinclair Spectrum with cassette player (1981?) followed by Amstrad 1640 with twin floppy disc drives in 1985.  Just last week I came across a CD with my back up copy of Windows 95.  Nearly threw it away but no, "it might be needed one day".

I refuse to throw away a perfectly good computer because Microsoft dictate thus.  When this machine fails to work on the internet, the internet will have to manage without me.  I haven't needed a computer for work for years so to me ti's but a toy.  I use real Ordnance Survey maps for work, a grid reference and no electric required and you'll get you're delivery on time still.

I'll go back to burning CD's with a candle next.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
djs63

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 07:46:25 PM »

There are versions of Linux which run brilliantly on old, slow computers. Can use mouse, windows with a small "w" and the web works fine.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
offthegridandy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »

Tell me more please.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
bxman

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »

Thanks everyone

I now know what Edge is  after several  minutes spent looking for IE

and it seems the problem is caused by  Chrome  any experts on Chrome  around ?
Stuart Ian Naylor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:41:13 PM »

Might be Chrome and Java as I have had a few problems of late.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/14/google_java_chrome_42/
Ki Lo Watt

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:56:36 PM »

Tell me more please.

Whilst it is true Linux versions such as "Puppy" run on older computers it's a bit of trial and error. Assuming your internet connection is fair you can download and burn the iso as a live CD which does't install anything to the original PC. If it boots and runs "happy days" but Dell PC's use proprietary hardware which may not be directly supported.
I have been running Linux on a self built PC with a AMD Athlon thunderbird 1Ghz until last year but decided my storage needed updating. The older IDE drives were not worth messing about with so I built a new PC. This also allowed me to choose a set up that consumes less power and make little noise when running. I had the old PC running the other day to move the last of my data and realized how LOUD it was. No need to get carried away with top processors as most dual cores will be fine and you can build a great PC for sub 200 and no extra dosh for windoze linux
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: