navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: instanious water heater problem  (Read 16946 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: February 22, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »

Our pilot flame of that Rinnai water heater , does not stay online any more , or even  if the  gas heater is full on to produce hot water  , the burner stops after a while   and  the pilot flame  dies as well ( this is an explanation of the other half over the phone , while i am away )

I know that the burner stops when there is not enough water-pressure , and there is a little filter-mesh  in the cold water in line , but  that the pilot flame stops as well ..... makes me think there is something different .... can   the gas supply get blocked  ....?  Why should the pilot die off ?  There must be a temp sensor to  act as a switch for that pilot flame ?

As far as i understand , the pilot flame heats a little metal pin  and  provides some information to laeve the pilot  to stay online ... Any ideas ?

I found  a good  thread about my waterheater , online  

Last post made me laugh  .......

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=0d814e1e08c7d6a806dc21b915b22f4f&showtopic=35893&page=2

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

'smileypete', on 12 Dec 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

OK...

Is the pilot flame a healthy size when lit and the burner is off? Does the pilot flame stay a healthy size after the burner lights and right until the burner cuts out, regardless of whether the burner setting is high or low?

If the answer to both of those questions is YES, then the gas side is probably OK.

Does the pilot cut out the same time as the burner does? If the answer is YES, then you could try the following:

Make sure the fins in the heat exchanger are 100% free of burned dust
        Fit a new pilot thermocouple

No 100% guarantee the above fixes will sort it, but they should be within the scope of a competent and conscientious DIYer, and don't impact the gas side directly.

If the pilot is not behaving as expected above, please say what it does do, is it weak, does it drop when the burner comes on, does it stay on when the burner cuts off, etc.

cheers, Pete.
    ~smpt~

I'm not sure if i'd like to fly by Rinnai airlines. :unsure:
1. Is the pilots flame a healthy size.
2. Does the pilot cut out at the same time as the after burner.
3. If the pilot is not behaving as expected.

:help
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:10:43 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »

That pin you mention billi is a thermocouple, it needs to feel the heat from the pilot to keep the gas valve open, they do burn out from time to time and only cost a tenner or less. Change that and it will probably be ok, most plumbers merchants sell universal kits that fit most burners.

Good luck,

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
going green

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »

That pin you mention billi is a thermocouple, it needs to feel the heat from the pilot to keep the gas valve open, they do burn out from time to time and only cost a tenner or less. Change that and it will probably be ok, most plumbers merchants sell universal kits that fit most burners.

Good luck,

Desp
had to change the same thing in my space heater very cheap
Stochengberge

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:18:21 PM »

What color is the flame? Blue - Probably the thermocouple as Deep says, Yellow - clean the jet...

SB.

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »

cool , thanks , i have a look  into those thermocouple  thingees 

Why on earth  things allways go wrong , when abroad  whistlie   crack

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
freddyuk

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 10:12:46 PM »

I get those calls every time I leave and last week it was "no water". Not a simple fuse but a complete new down bore pump on a Sunday. Local Jim "the well" came and replaced in the pouring rain to save my marriage but it just peeves me I have to now pay for it instead of DIY. Often it is leaving day when something breaks like the garage door coming apart as storms are due or the boiler overflowing the header tank. All stuff you cannot ask Mrs Freddy to fix even with careful and restrained instruction over the phone..  banghead
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:00:58 PM »

Don't bodge a new thermocouple if the existing one is integral to an oxygen depletion sensor.
The device may have an interrupter in it with an overheat sensor. If fitted, check to see if has operated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: