navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any views on this Battery charger? XTAR VC4 Li-ion/Ni-MH capable  (Read 2953 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: February 23, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XTAR-Battery-Charger-Premium-Compatibale/dp/B00UWDJ72C/?tag=hotukdeals03-21

Comprehensive review http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Xtar%20VC4%20UK.html

Am in the process of ditching a lot of old & failed 7 day shop NIMH's up to 10 years old.

Therefore looking for an informative "better than standard" battery charger to deal with various chemistry batts & display for easy keep / go status, combined with buying new AA's AAA's etc for household use, ..& venture into the quality end of the Li-ion batt brands for specific items.

Any pro's cons to this one from personal experience by Navi folks?
The real time display is a boon, I'd prefer 8 batt bays, but if it's a quickish charger with no detrimental effect then I'm interested.

Looking at this site for potential purchase of a wodge of batts. https://www.nkon.nl/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:09:33 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Scruff

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 03:07:14 PM »

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_Accessories.html Turnigy have earned themselves a good reputation in RC world. Cheaper too but you'l need to buy some cell holders and a PSU.

Here's the teardown

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:09:58 PM by Scruff » Logged
Tiff

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:10:45 PM »

I've got and had quite a few of those style chargers, some better than others. I like the flexibility and that you can charge just about anything with full control. Very easy to use once  you get hang of them but they are a bit fiddly to start with.

Turnigy - my one has the dreaded 'conection break' error so my experience has not been good with them. Bought from a well known company, not Ebay so its an original.

Chinese copies - work fine until you reverse polarity on the input and let the smoke out - I've lost two this way - will I ever learn?

My favorite is called a B6AC charger the same as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMAX-Upgraded-B6AC-80W-Multi-Functional-Smart-Balance-Charger-Discharger-/141896807363?hash=item2109b573c3:g:JgUAAOSwJb9WtW7e

Mains powered (or can take a dc input) and reverse polarity protection Smiley

Beware of copies and clones which seems to be rife with all these type of chargers
Tiff

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

To add, in the above post I'm talking about the hobby style chargers. They are very flexible but obviously there is no holder for cells, you use cells with leads or croc clips. You can charge AAs etc but will need to get a holder, they are very cheap to buy.

For the AAs and 18650 cells then the XTAR looks good, I don't have one but have seen it before and if I needed a new charger for cells then I would get one. I currently use a BL700 for AA and AAA cells but this charger can't take 18650s.

It's only an 18650 cell charger but I have a TOMO 4 cell charger/battery bank which I've been pleased with - around 15 delivered.
MR GUS

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »

Thanks chaps, it needs to be wife & kid friendly as in " bung it in there & leave it to cook" ...remove when remembered about down the line.

So whilst scruffs one looks viable for me, it isn't so much plug & play.

cheers for the input.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »

Ok, just ordered my new Li-ion + Nimh capable charger (wife & nipper friendly).

Who is a decent resource these days for non shonky batteries of all shapes & sizes for Li-ion? ..IE not salvaged from lap-tops.

cheers all.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »

Need to seriously recommend the old school service & knowledge by the seller (uk master distributor of XTAR) whose site is going live soon..

Ask questions, get answers kind of guy! ..a refreshing change, a proper warranty & service potential (plus a battery testing / diagnostics service for those who need it).

Wish i'd bought this sooner.

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
MR GUS

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »

OOH! ..never knew these existed! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zackees-Rechargeable-Charger-Batteries-batteries/dp/B01BA1CLN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460059041&sr=8-1&keywords=zackees+coin+cell+battery+charger

Zackees Rechargeable USB Coin Cell Charger. LIR2032 (LR2032) Batteries Included, Replaces CR2032 batteries

... & one from Ada fruit that charges via a usb socket, small & loseable though! Adafruit Lithium Ion Coin Cell Charger [ADA1573] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adafruit-Lithium-Coin-Charger-ADA1573/dp/B00XW2LTF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460058992&sr=8-1&keywords=coin+cell+battery+charger

Hopefully of use to someone, i'm kicking myself i've not known about these  faint

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Fionn

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »

Thanks Gus, I wasn't aware of rechargeable 2032s either.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
MR GUS

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »

Yes, a quick search turned up a big old selection.... http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/rechargeable-battery/industrial-lithium-ion-rechargeable-battery.html

No connection, just use the drop down list (+) on the left hand side of the screen..

Happy hunting.

NB no association with the firm, nor a user, ..simply an eye opener for me to be shared.

& if anyone knows where I can get one, i'm after the equivilent of a rechargeable li-ion of a Duracell 28L for a  back up head torch of mine.

NB. Any simple cheap kit for testing capacity of Li-ion batteries "properly" rather than having to ensure complete drain & counting what charge they take?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:41:15 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: