navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The all electric 'off grid' house  (Read 9452 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 06:42:13 PM »

Brilliant result Paul, well worth all the work and head scratching.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
skyewright

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 06:49:43 PM »

Having said that the PVGIS is wildly optimistic for here in the winter, just check out the actual production figures for December and January  Cry
Look on the bright side. That's just one end of the scale. Look forward to the opposite end, some day, maybe?  Wink

December & January must be really hard for statistical analysis, especially up here. I've seen the odd glorious sunny December & January days (but not this year) giving up to %500 of the PVGIS estimate. A couple of those can make a massive difference to the month's production. A week's worth of them would be more than a month's production!

Albeit the very end of February, we generated more last week that the whole of December & January put together!  Grin

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
gravyminer

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »

Can I add my congratulations as well Paul.
Its a fantastic thing to self build and achieve your off grid objective.  genuflect

I have foolishly opted to depend on the chainsaw on our project, that and a large amount of solar panels.
Based on no more than there being more wood growing close by than we could ever burn and solar panels simply turning up, uninvited.

No idea how independent we might be as infra red wall/ ceiling heaters seem to have suddenly hit the list of approved products  surrender

Luckily theres room for a many cubic metres of batteries  Grin

gravyminer
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »

My oven produces steam too.

I just put a metal dish of water in the bottom for baked stuff.

Sometimes Scruff the obvious is so obvious it just passes you by  banghead  banghead

Aye DJH, thanks, I'm sure my wife would have loved such a cooker, trouble is, she just spent 3k on this one  fume I did say that 3K would have bought us enough solar panels to roast a pig on a spit but sometimes you've just got to 'go with the flow'.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »

Brilliant result Paul, well worth all the work and head scratching.

Andy

Cheers Andy, much appreciated but I couldn't have done it without the Navitron forum.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »

Can I add my congratulations as well Paul.
Its a fantastic thing to self build and achieve your off grid objective.  genuflect

I have foolishly opted to depend on the chainsaw on our project, that and a large amount of solar panels.
Based on no more than there being more wood growing close by than we could ever burn and solar panels simply turning up, uninvited.

No idea how independent we might be as infra red wall/ ceiling heaters seem to have suddenly hit the list of approved products  surrender

Luckily theres room for a many cubic metres of batteries  Grin

Aye GM,

I look at your project with envy and admiration and it makes me realize that I'm not the only nutter that  prefers craftsmanship and quality over price and sanity  Grin Good luck, Paul

camillitech

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 09:09:22 PM »

Having said that the PVGIS is wildly optimistic for here in the winter, just check out the actual production figures for December and January  Cry
Look on the bright side. That's just one end of the scale. Look forward to the opposite end, some day, maybe?  Wink

December & January must be really hard for statistical analysis, especially up here. I've seen the odd glorious sunny December & January days (but not this year) giving up to %500 of the PVGIS estimate. A couple of those can make a massive difference to the month's production. A week's worth of them would be more than a month's production!

Albeit the very end of February, we generated more last week that the whole of December & January put together!  Grin

Same here David, think we generated more in a few days of Feb than the entire months of Dec and Jan. I just didn't realize how much we actually lost the sun over that period due to the hills to the east and south. Still, you live and learn but those 60 ex Navitron solar tubes you sold me are really paying dividends just now.

Cheers, Paul

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »

... Ok  Smiley  ,  Are u using a heatpump now ?   How is the start-up /surge effecting the inverter  ?

All the best

Billi

Aye Billi,

I have a small Ecocent Energy that only draws 810W with a COP of 3.2 (so they say) http://esavep.com/index.php/air-source-products/esp-ecocent-domestic-hot-water/ecocent-energy.html It's consumption pretty much matches one of my hydro turbines so I just leave it on all the time on a low setting (40 degrees) In practice, due to immersion dumps in the store, it only ever runs when the heating is on in the evening.

ESAVEP recommend that it's fitted within the house but mines in 'The Bunker' a well insulated plant room where the TS, MVHR, solar pumps, freezer and spare inverter/batteries are housed. The heat from all these gives it a reasonable COP and of course it's very quiet.

I got mine off their eBay shop, they sell them considerably cheaper if they have a little cosmetic damage, mine had a very slightly bent pipe.

Ok , that unit sounds good and fair priced  , did not know that the Ecocent have a model -  only the heatpump  without the hot water tank -

Do you dump the heat ass well into the  big tank or  direct into the underfloor heating ?

Good to know  , its probably not intended to run her continuously   ?  

Time for a party  soon  Grin

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »

Aye Billi,

I did a lot of experimenting with the heat pump. At first I cranked up the thermostat to the max which is 60 degrees and the thing was running for hours on end, icing up and not really putting as much into the store as I would have liked. I gradually turned it down (after reading one of DJH's posts on the GBF) and discovered that at 40 degrees it seemed to have a 'sweet spot' and was was much more efficient. At this temp it seems to start up an hour or so after the heating comes on and then runs well into the night to bring up the temperature in the lower portion of the store. As we're usually in bed well before midnight this seems to work well as demand from 'puters, lights and TV is nil.

The system works like this, we have one 3kW immersion in the top of the 1500lt store for DHW, this is permanently on and supplies us with all water for showering etc irrespective of SOC or voltage. Below that are two 3kW immersion elements that heat up much like Biff's (when the voltage is over a certain threshold) the main difference being mine are AC and controlled by two solid state relays which take their signal from four TriStar controllers in 'diversion mode'. The TriStars also have 10.8kW of DC air dumps connected to them, so when the thermostats open for the AC immersions they soak up the excess energy. There is also a circulating pump like Biff's in the store as a 'fail safe'. Below those there is the solar coil, the heat pump coil and two other elements. A 6kW and 3kW tapped into the genny, plan is to use the 6kW element via an SSR or Immersun type device with another 6kW turnip but this is very much 'work in progress' at the moment.

I also have a 3kW Outback GVFX3048 inverter and 950Ah battery bank that may come into play at some point but it's all very much 'suck it and see'. The system is far from simple, which in my book is one of its failings but most of it can be sorted with a laptop and some software so I'm figuring that as I get older and less physically able this kind of stuff will get easier  flyingpig

Cheers, Paul

Billy
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »

An achievement indeed Paul. The boy dun gud.  Grin

A gold star or two I think. You must be stoked.   genuflect
camillitech

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »

Well done Paul. How are you getting on with the powerspout. Have been looking for a stealth hydro for some UFH and the powerspout was one of the options.

Hi John,

Powerspout doing just fine and has needed no maintenance other than greasing a couple of times a year and removing the odd frog! Dunno how they get in, the filter is a fine stainless mesh.

Of all the turbines I've had or fitted it is by far the best VFM (another one of Billi's recommendations) and the support is brilliant.

Cheers, Paul 

camillitech

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

An achievement indeed Paul. The boy dun gud.  Grin

A gold star or two I think. You must be stoked.   genuflect

Cheers Billy, I'll save you some sausages for when you visit  Wink

roys

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »

So pleased for you Paul that the house has all worked out good, you deserve it with the time, effort, research and money you put into it.  You also did well getting yourself what sounds like a good set of builders.
The only downside was that when you were very busy you were a bit lax in your blog Smiley, only kidding well done.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:57:07 PM by roys » Logged
heatherhopper

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »

Paul
I took the liberty of comparing your Turbine output with mine - hope you don't mind but it is rare to see daily data and I do have a fascination with the relative performances of different Turbines in different locations. The surprising thing for me was the similarity in apparent wind profile in the two very different settings - spine of the country versus coastal location. There is some offset (presumably due to the actual centre of any pressure system) but we seem to see broadly very similar conditions which I had not expected. When you get the 6kW up it would very interesting to see some data. Definitely going to have a lot of excess to use up if you keep the old Proven going.

Excess power for an EV seemed a good alternative for me until I looked a bit closer into what is available. I would get very limited practical use out of the current range and for the second car it would have to be the used prices are still ridiculously high considering you are buying a used battery on wheels. Could certainly work in other circumstances though.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Billy
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »

Sausages,  extrahappy

Leaving first of June. Not going to Shetland or Orkney this year. It not too cold and foggy will nip round the corner and drop in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: