navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The all electric 'off grid' house  (Read 8974 times)
camillitech

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »

Cheers Roys,

been making a severe attempt to keep bloggin' but I keep getting distracted, must try harder  Wink

Hi HH,

really glad to see that graph and like you surprised by the similarities, I'm thinking you must be at a good altitude? Very reassuring to see that there's very few days the 6kW doesn't produce anything. So good to see real life data and not hear 'I did four loads of washing, baked a potato and ran the flat screen telly all day'  Grin I did add another column for solar hot water but quickly realized the TDC3 figures were pretty meaningless as it compares the different sensor temps to get power figures. Not much use if you're dumping other sources into the store.

Hi Billy,

sausages it is then  bike

That's five years ago  Shocked

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
heatherhopper

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 02:08:40 PM »

I'm thinking you must be at a good altitude?
Yes Paul living closer to our maker(s) has it's advantages. We are at 435m not quite outside the tree line but certainly inside the "snow on high ground" line.
I am sure you have a very good idea of what to expect from the 6kW and it will certainly change the profile of your output vs usage graph. We do get periods of zero output up here. Maybe half a dozen days in total in autumn/winter (more in the summer obviously). I imagine you are more likely to maintain a light breeze in your location and should see less. The Provens seem to operate pretty reliably to published performance. A bit of statistical licence (reducing the apparent offset) with our respective data shows your 2.5+kW (I think this is how it should be viewed with the larger blades?) averaging 45% of my 6kW. Not a very reliable statistic but comparing different Turbines almost never is. One thing to note is that the 6kW is a little more reluctant to take flight from a standstill particularly if facing the wrong way - I guess due to the greater weight inertia. I have observed smaller Provens in our area, but at lower altitudes, churning away merrily in low winds while ours sits undecidedly wiggling it's wing tips. I believe some people take to fashioning long poles to push theirs into the wind or thrashing the tower - seems extreme but I understand the frustration.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »

hysteria
Brings to mind the old faulty towers ? sketch of John Cleese thrashing his car.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
camillitech

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »

Woohoo,  bike  bike  bike

got the EPC through this morning and just had to share it  Cool

Smug as feck or what. Long was it my dream to build an all electric 'off grid' house and we've done it. Not only that, considering my ineptness at calculations it's worked better than I could have hoped for. There's a couple of things I'd have done differently with hindsight but not many.

1 Should have installed an SI.O8H instead of the SI.O6H. The inverter has never tripped yet despite having a 3kW immersion element on 24/7 but the wife has just bought a 2.2kW iron  banghead 30 feckin years and we've manged just fine but now she insists  Roll Eyes The day is bound to come when she or my mother in law use it whilst someone is showering and using the toaster!

2 Should have dumped the excess power lower down the store, moved one element today as they quite often switch off at 80 degrees.

3 Should have put the generator in a shed separate from the inverters. It does not run often but if it does it gets too hot in there and the inverters 'de rate'.

4 Perhaps a 2000lt TS instead of my 1500 and most definitely more immersion elements, I have a 6kW Proven to install too thanks to Heinz. I can see an electric car and halogen cooker on the horizon.

5 Need to wire some kind of protection (load shedding contactor) to protect the batteries.

6 Less opening windows, fixed ones are far cheaper, let more light in and look nicer. We have 16 out of 20 and it would have been better 8 out of 20.

7 Should have taken all the PV 'straight to battery' at the moment it's 50% AC coupled and 50% DC. Would have made installing the second wind turbine simpler and I may yet have to do it.

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »

Well done Paul.
             Now you know that no matter how good your installation is, you will always find something to fiddle at. hysteria
    You got a brilliant result and a fantastic home in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. fingers crossed!
                                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
smegal

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »

Going off on a massive tangent.

From reading your blog about the letter addressed to "small island" I saw this and thought of you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/50a5pk/without_an_address_an_icelandic_tourist_drew_this/

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
roys

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »

Well done Paul, every right to be smug with what you have achieved.
RIT

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 04:21:24 PM »

So the EPC process needs to add A+, A++ and A+++ levels to cope with what you have managed.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »

Fantastic achievement!!!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
eabadger

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »

fantastic, very well done, i hope mine gets anywhere near, i feel the pain regarding living onsite in a caravan.
how much oil do you use a year? if you don't mind me asking.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
brackwell

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 05:54:34 PM »

Well done!
Ken
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »

Woohoo,  bike  bike  bike

got the EPC through this morning and just had to share it  Cool

Smug as feck or what. Long was it my dream to build an all electric 'off grid' house and we've done it. Not only that, considering my ineptness at calculations it's worked better than I could have hoped for. There's a couple of things I'd have done differently with hindsight but not many.

1 Should have installed an SI.O8H instead of the SI.O6H. The inverter has never tripped yet despite having a 3kW immersion element on 24/7 but the wife has just bought a 2.2kW iron  banghead 30 feckin years and we've manged just fine but now she insists  Roll Eyes The day is bound to come when she or my mother in law use it whilst someone is showering and using the toaster!

2 Should have dumped the excess power lower down the store, moved one element today as they quite often switch off at 80 degrees.

3 Should have put the generator in a shed separate from the inverters. It does not run often but if it does it gets too hot in there and the inverters 'de rate'.

4 Perhaps a 2000lt TS instead of my 1500 and most definitely more immersion elements, I have a 6kW Proven to install too thanks to Heinz. I can see an electric car and halogen cooker on the horizon.

5 Need to wire some kind of protection (load shedding contactor) to protect the batteries.

6 Less opening windows, fixed ones are far cheaper, let more light in and look nicer. We have 16 out of 20 and it would have been better 8 out of 20.

7 Should have taken all the PV 'straight to battery' at the moment it's 50% AC coupled and 50% DC. Would have made installing the second wind turbine simpler and I may yet have to do it.

Cheers, Paul

Thank you for making all that effort & giving us all something to strive for.
I haven't read your blog Paul, (it would I bet P155 me off ..because of the location & not having been up there for so many years, painful).

So should I, & to save you repeating what you've written elsewhere i'd love to read up on your Air pump & how it lives up to expectations, it's something i'm aware doesn't fit the bill for everyone, & would like to go this route if applicable, obviously the weather can be far more harsh than where I am so rumour dispelling would be good fodder alone.

Not even a small wood burner on wheels then? ...lawks!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:52:21 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
camillitech

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »

Cheers chaps,

I really could not have done it without yourselves and the forum.

Regarding the Vimto EB, the answer is "much more than I thought"  Shocked but the last 12 months has been 'worst case scenario'. The first three months we were still in the caravan and running the genny for an hour a day in the morning to warm the place up. Anyway, here goes, in the twelve month period until the end of August Harry had clocked up 97 hours (which surprised me). He's a 15kVA/12kW Lister HR2 and at full load burns 4.52lt/h, now I run him hard at around 80% so, say 4lt/h or 388lts. However in the 9 months we've been in the house we've  run him 65h or around 260lt. Things to also consider there's a '1 hour' run function on the SI6.OH which I use monthly as a test and occasionally for running a big welder (though I stopped doing that recently when I discovered the SI copes admirably) and diving compressor.

The other thing is that a generator half the size would be more than adequate and an SR2 6kW at 2.32lt/h would suffice. I actually run a 6kW immersion tapped directly into the windings of Harry just to load him up.

If we set our mind to it I'm sure we could manage without the generator all together, turn the immersion down to 60 degrees, stop using the hot plate on the cooker to keep the coffee warm, limit my teenager to half an hour in the shower and only four hours on the X box. We also power up a broadband mast which uses 1.75kWh a day.

We are course aiming for zero use but that'll come with another wind turbine and more PV, both of which are on the horizon.

Paul

camillitech

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »

So should I, & to save you repeating what you've written elsewhere i'd love to read up on your Air pump & how it lives up to expectations, it's something i'm aware doesn't fit the bill for everyone, & would like to go this route if applicable, obviously the weather can be far more harsh than where I am so rumour dispelling would be good fodder alone.

Not even a small wood burner on wheels then? ...lawks!

The blog is a bit chaotic MrG you'd probably get lost in all the pig butchery  Grin I've got Billi to thank for the heat pump, I must confess I was vehemently opposed to the idea. Dunno how good they are in other situations right enough, mine is installed in 'The Bunker' my lean too 'plant room' on the back of the house so it makes use of any heat escaping from the TS, freezer, MVHR etc I have to say that I'm well pleased with it. We thought long and hard about the wood burner but I've been cutting wood since 1985 and I'm sick of it. Sure it was good to have the smell of hot coffee permeating the house, it was great for 'pot roasts', chestnuts and the odd slice of rare venison seared on top. Downside being the half a day a week cutting wood, mess, dust, spiders and beetles running round the house etc. Not once, ever, in over a year now have I missed the wood burner or bath.

Cheers, Paul

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 09:59:27 PM »

Grin I've got Billi to thank for the heat pump, I must confess I was vehemently opposed to the idea. Dunno how good they are in other situations right enough, mine is installed in 'The Bunker' my lean too 'plant room' on the back of the house so it makes use of any heat escaping from the TS, freezer, MVHR etc I have to say that I'm well pleased with it. We thought long and hard about the wood burner but I've been cutting wood since 1985 and I'm sick of it.

Smiley  well done Paul ,  i read parts of the thread earlier on  today  , and enjoyed  my after work  Friday pint  thinking about your set up   ,  how much watt  is the compressor of the heat pump ?  and is it heating water ?  i guess the start up  is quite  intense

Cu

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: