navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The all electric 'off grid' house  (Read 9450 times)
Mostie

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »

what was the post mortem on Harry's starter? it sure looked goosed

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
camillitech

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »

Grin I've got Billi to thank for the heat pump, I must confess I was vehemently opposed to the idea. Dunno how good they are in other situations right enough, mine is installed in 'The Bunker' my lean too 'plant room' on the back of the house so it makes use of any heat escaping from the TS, freezer, MVHR etc I have to say that I'm well pleased with it. We thought long and hard about the wood burner but I've been cutting wood since 1985 and I'm sick of it.

Smiley  well done Paul ,  i read parts of the thread earlier on  today  , and enjoyed  my after work  Friday pint  thinking about your set up   ,  how much watt  is the compressor of the heat pump ?  and is it heating water ?  i guess the start up  is quite  intense

Cu

Billi

Hi Billi,

methinks the 'startup' surge is around 2kW but only for a split second, the pump is rated at 810W I think, with and alleged COP of 3.2 and yes, it's air to water. Admittedly I spent quite a while setting it up to get the best out of it, not really fully understanding it at first. Initially I had it set at too high a temperature (60 degrees if I remember correctly) so the pump was working too hard. The coil for the pump is in the bottom of the store and I now have it set to 40 degrees,this is plenty hot enough for the UFH and the pump runs for much less time. I've also just moved one of the 'heat dumps' lower down the TS which should help on those stormy winter nights.

To be honest I think I still have a long way to go before I perfect this system but I'm enjoying the journey and it works OK at the mo. I'd like to automatically reduce the DHW thermostat from 80 to 60 at night somehow and wire in some kind of protection for deep discharge of the batteries. Not sure how to alter the T/stat temps relative to sunlight but I reckon a 'relay driver' is the way forward with the battery protection. Something like disconnecting the DHW immersion after so many minutes at 49V or perhaps using one of the SI's internal relays to disconnect it at 40% SOC  Huh

Dunno really, just 'brainstorming' at the moment :-)

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 11:59:20 PM »

what was the post mortem on Harry's starter? it sure looked goosed

Well and truly feckered it was Mostie and I've still not gotten to the bottom of it. Methinks the root cause has something to do with the SI's 'reverse power' protection settings and I've 'sidestepped' these by altering the number of 'start attempts' and elapsed time between them. I'm kinda hoping that the Aurora's propensity for 'dropping out' with alterations in frequency may mitigate this. Meanwhile I'm leaving the generator in 'off' mode if it's likely to start on a stormy night :-)

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2016/03/

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Mostie

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »

I wonder if it jammed trying to mesh with the flywheel or did it try to engage the starter once it was already running  Shocked damn electronics  Tongue

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
camillitech

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »

I wonder if it jammed trying to mesh with the flywheel or did it try to engage the starter once it was already running  Shocked damn electronics  Tongue

My 'gut feeling' is that it stuck in mesh for some reason and just kept being motored by either Harry or the 450Ah battery bank until it melted. To be honest Mostie my memory is so bad these days that I'd stopped worrying about it  Wink and now you've set me off again   Undecided

Cheers, Paul

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »

lovely , that you made a heatpump running .... i bought a second hand one (attached to a 300l hot water store)  one day to place it into my generator / inverter/chargecontroler shed to make use of the waste heat of my gear  , unlucky billi  ..... there was a damaged heatexchanger in the Heatpump , but  the compressor(and start-up) was running  fine in my system ....

I started it after  the voltage  of battery reached a certain voltage , with the controllable relay  of my Victron Inverter

You are definitely right  , not to reach too high temps

a Feinwerk  DHW heatpump http://www.ebay.de/itm/Trinkwasserwaermepumpe-Trinkwasser-Waermepumpe-Trinkwasserwaermepumpen-/221497987856

costs about 1000  including a 270 l water tank .....

Newer Grid tie inverters  can switch them on  , but a  timer could do as well  , i say this since years , cause immersuns  and co , never attracted me

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »

Yes Billi,

I'm extremely pleased that you convinced my, mine matches the output of my Powerspout perfectly (840W for the PS and 810W for the pump). The startup surge isn't really an issue, the inverter barely notices it, I guess the 'AC coupling' helps with that. I do need to work on protection though for my batteries, I can see it being an issue as they get older. Was thinking of a 'relay driver' but may try using one of the internal SI relays using SOC rather than voltage to turn off the DHW immersion at 40 or 50%. I'd also like some way of altering the thermostat setting overnight, say running it at 60degrees during the hours of darkness and 80degrees during the day. Certainly needs more thought.

Cheers, Paul

book_woorm

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

Hi Paul
   I made a variable thermostat for our UFH buffer tank  using some PT1000 sensors an Arduino and a relay. the whole thing has its own ethernet web page interface. Tough we live in sunny Devon we are on Dartmoor and the north side of the house gets more cooling in the winter than the south face. Also the UFH coils did not come up to expectations so there are times when the water through them needs to be warmer. The system measures the outside temperature and proportionally ups the UFH heating temperature as it gets colder outside. Limits and ranges are built into the setup via the web pages. You could do something similar and/or have a timed element to the temperature setting on the buffer. By the way it logs the state of everything at 10 minute intervals on an SD card and the logs can be pulled down to a PC as a spreadsheet.

2.4 Kw Kyocera Panels (west facing) Feronius inverter; Sonenkraft Solar Thermal with Twin 180Lt & 280 Lt Thermal Stores; SAP 'A' rated property with UFH & wood burner. Full weather compensation on the UFH buffer temperature & differential controller decides where the heat from the wood burner goes.
camillitech

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »

Hi Paul
   I made a variable thermostat for our UFH buffer tank  using some PT1000 sensors an Arduino and a relay. the whole thing has its own ethernet web page interface. Tough we live in sunny Devon we are on Dartmoor and the north side of the house gets more cooling in the winter than the south face. Also the UFH coils did not come up to expectations so there are times when the water through them needs to be warmer. The system measures the outside temperature and proportionally ups the UFH heating temperature as it gets colder outside. Limits and ranges are built into the setup via the web pages. You could do something similar and/or have a timed element to the temperature setting on the buffer. By the way it logs the state of everything at 10 minute intervals on an SD card and the logs can be pulled down to a PC as a spreadsheet.

Hi BW,

I did read about your temperature compensated system and was most interested. The guy who originally designed my system was going to fit one. Sadly, it took me that long to build the house that he died and it never got done. Love the sound of your Arduino but it's way beyond my ability just yet, must try and get into it though, I have so many schemes where such control would be beneficial.

Cheers, Paul

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: